"The Lab"
May 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #17,431 of 20,136
  Love those 553's
biggrin.gif

Never checked out those (or any) AKG. Might need to check 'em out if I need to rebuild my Lab

May 9, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #17,433 of 20,136

Never checked out those (or any) AKG. Might need to check 'em out if I need to rebuild my Lab

I'm getting the AKG k7xx soon, heard good things about AKGs in general :)  The K612pro treble wasnt that great and very grating and plasticky. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for the K7XX. I was deciding between the Fidelio X2 and K7XX and ended up opting for the latter.

May 9, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #17,434 of 20,136

I'm getting the AKG k7xx soon, heard good things about AKGs in general :)  The K612pro treble wasnt that great and very grating and plasticky. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for the K7XX. I was deciding between the Fidelio X2 and K7XX and ended up opting for the latter.

Congrats on the purchase! 7XX has a good reputation. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing them myself, but I'm guessing you'll be fine. 

May 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #17,435 of 20,136

I went the opposite route. Had some issues with the X2, but nothing I couldn't deal with (chemical smell from earpads, worn off after a couple of weeks) and Amazon offered me a partial refund. No regrets. Took a bit to get used to the sound - I think it had to do with the angled drivers. Even though they are an easy drive they really shine with some ampage. My e12a was nice, but the Little Bear really took 'em up a notch - not sure if its cause of the tube or the big beefy mosfets
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #17,436 of 20,136

Congrats on the purchase! 7XX has a good reputation. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing them myself, but I'm guessing you'll be fine. 

Thanks Thomas, can't wait to hear it :)  Been meaning to get one for awhile now. Got a decent deal on a brand new pair from someone in Canada. I could have gotten it cheaper used from F/S but with shipping and import tax it would have been the same more or less.

I went the opposite route. Had some issues with the X2, but nothing I couldn't deal with (chemical smell from earpads, worn off after a couple of weeks) and Amazon offered me a partial refund. No regrets. Took a bit to get used to the sound - I think it had to do with the angled drivers. Even though they are an easy drive they really shine with some ampage. My e12a was nice, but the Little Bear really took 'em up a notch - not sure if its cause of the tube or the big beefy mosfets
biggrin.gif

Nice! Angled drivers are the schiit. Thats why I love my MA900 to bits (will never ever ever let go of it lol), the angle drivers create a very natural and large soundstage. 

May 9, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #17,437 of 20,136

Thanks Thomas, can't wait to hear it :)  Been meaning to get one for awhile now. Got a decent deal on a brand new pair from someone in Canada. I could have gotten it cheaper used from F/S but with shipping and import tax it would have been the same more or less.

Found a 7xx on CAM just shortly after they were released for ~$200 CAD + shipping. Needless to say they went pretty fast. I thought there wasn't any sort of duties on second-hand private sales?

May 9, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #17,438 of 20,136

Found a 7xx on CAM just shortly after they were released for ~$200 CAD + shipping. Needless to say they went pretty fast. I thought there wasn't any sort of duties on second-hand private sales?

No way, really? Get out of here. How come I am finding out about this now.... I paid 300 dollars for my K7XX lmao. Though it is a brand new replacement pair from MD and I get full warranty.

May 9, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #17,439 of 20,136
I wouldn't bet any money on it, but I don't think you need to pay customs/tax as long as its a private sale. Kinda annoys me that alot of the items on Ebay that have that Intl shipping program automatically have "Import Fees" tacked on. I've bid on a couple of a15 out of the UK, but having that stupid fee limits what I'm willing to pay

May 9, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #17,440 of 20,136
  I wouldn't bet any money on it, but I don't think you need to pay customs/tax as long as its a private sale. Kinda annoys me that alot of the items on Ebay that have that Intl shipping program automatically have "Import Fees" tacked on. I've bid on a couple of a15 out of the UK, but having that stupid fee limits what I'm willing to pay

yea its getting ridiculous, these canadian border fees. The yanks dont get taxed unless its above $800 dollars. For us its $20 for purchases, and $60 for gifts. what the Fuq

May 10, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #17,441 of 20,136

Nice! Angled drivers are the schiit. Thats why I love my MA900 to bits (will never ever ever let go of it lol), the angle drivers create a very natural and large soundstage. 

Aaaaarghhhhhh, I am still mad at myself for not having bought it - is was on massive sale for €140 or something when it got discontinued. The thing that held me back from buying it were reports of bad channel imbalance when users had to send it in 1-2 times for replacement until they got a good model w/o imbalance.

May 10, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #17,442 of 20,136

Aaaaarghhhhhh, I am still mad at myself for not having bought it - is was on massive sale for €140 or something when it got discontinued. The thing that held me back from buying it were reports of bad channel imbalance when users had to send it in 1-2 times for replacement until they got a good model w/o imbalance.

I bought mine used locally, and no channel imbalance on my end, and I am not exactly babying it. It is something in a class of its own. 140 euros for a brand new pair is a steal. I almost bought a second one the other day as a back up, thats how much I love them. And I never buy backups ever.

The MA900 will NEVER leave my collection. Shame on sony for discontinuing something this legendary. You sir need to get yourself a pair :wink: Trust me you won't regret it.

It was the only headphone that ever kept my upgraditis at bay.

May 10, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #17,443 of 20,136

I bought mine used locally, and no channel imbalance on my end, and I am not exactly babying it. It is something in a class of its own. 140 euros for a brand new pair is a steal. I almost bought a second one the other day as a back up, thats how much I love them. And I never buy backups ever.

The MA900 will NEVER leave my collection. Shame on sony for discontinuing something this legendary. You sir need to get yourself a pair :wink: Trust me you won't regret it.

Yes, the price was insanely good. If I ever find a new, never opened and boxed pair, I will likely hit the trigger, which is not a very realistic case though. Too bad I didn't go for it.

It was the only headphone that ever kept my upgraditis at bay.

For me, it would have been the Etymotic ER-4S if I had discovered it way earlier - too bad it was about never discussed or even mentioned in the German community, which is a real pity. At the time I had discovered it, I had already bought 65+ headphones and in-ears. The ER-4S is definitely not the best one I've got but the one I personally love the most for its pure diffuse-field target neutrality, authenticity, coherence and naturalness. If I had got it much earlier, I would habe probably only had the need for around 20 IEMs and headphones with different tonalities.
But as everything was already rolling, it was too late to stop me from buying other in-ears although since I got it, the urge for buying new IEMs has noticeably decreased and I haven't bought thaaaat much stuff since I bought it.
If there was an universal fit IEM with my Ety's tonality but my UERMs' resolution, speed and separation, it would be the perfect neutral sounding in-ear model for me.

May 10, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #17,444 of 20,136

Yes, the price was insanely good. If I ever find a new, never opened and boxed pair, I will likely hit the trigger, which is not a very realistic case though. Too bad I didn't go for it.

For me, it would have been the Etymotic ER-4S if I had discovered it way earlier - too bad it was about never discussed or even mentioned in the German community, which is a real pity. At the time I had discovered it, I had already bought 65+ headphones and in-ears. The ER-4S is definitely not the best one I've got but the one I personally love the most for its pure diffuse-field target neutrality, authenticity, coherence and naturalness. If I had got it much earlier, I would habe probably only had the need for around 20 IEMs and headphones with different tonalities.
But as everything was already rolling, it was too late to stop me from buying other in-ears although since I got it, the urge for buying new IEMs has noticeably decreased and I haven't bought thaaaat much stuff since I bought it.
If there was an universal fit IEM with my Ety's tonality but my UERMs' resolution, speed and separation, it would be the perfect neutral sounding in-ear model for me.

The UERM beat the Etys in resolution ,speed and separation???

May 10, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #17,445 of 20,136
They're nice. Lacking subbass and probably a little bright for some, but I like bright. Bought them to replace the K512 mkII which I gave to my dad. Loved those things. Have been on the fence about buying them again ever since I parted with them.

Similar story and I concur with you findings on the K553 Pro:smiley:

I gave my 702's to a friend and decided to try the closed back AKG and just live them, they do lack a little in the sub bass however the trade off of their liquid mid/high combination is worth twice their price for me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

:beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back