"The Lab"
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #15,274 of 20,136
Black filters are pretty useless imho. Makes them sound like a consumer friendly bass cannon.

Lol! I find them overly warm and useless with the green ones :wink:

The only ones I use are the grey ones but to me they sound excellent.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #15,275 of 20,136
My 200th post.  I thought I would share my latest "Lab".  In The Lab!

All components have been serviced and are working 100%

Bottom to top:

Pioneer SM 100 Power Amp - 70 w/ch @ 8 ohms - wood case - 1968-1971 - hard to find, rare - sort of the grandaddy of the Spec 2/4 amps
Pioneer SC 100 Pre Amp - wood case - 1968-1971 - hard to find, rare - sort of the grandaddy of the Spec 1
Pioneer SA 900 Intergrated Amp - 50 w/ch @ 8 ohms - 1970-1972 - somewhat common, rare wood case​
Pioneer TX 900 Intergrated Amp - 1970-1972 - somewhat common, rare wood case
Apple Airport Express for streaming

Head Phone content = The SA 900 is only for headphone use.  The SC/SM 100 do not have a headphone connection.  Tape Record out on SC to Aux in on SA gives all sources to SA with full control of volume/tone/etc. at the SA.  Old intergrated amps use full amp for headphones with a resistor at connector.  Pioneer typically uses a 150 ohm resistor, so low impedance phones may not be the best match, however my DT770 250 ohm and HD650 300 ohm sound great.

This old set up sort of reminds me of the difference between a telecaster and a strat, the tele is just a little more grungy but very much a wonderful sound.

r2

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #15,276 of 20,136
Lol! I find them overly warm and useless with the green ones
wink.gif

The only ones I use are the grey ones but to me they sound excellent.

Trade ya a pair of KZ's for a set of those Gray's Peter
biggrin.gif
I refuse to buy a four pack
blink.gif

That's some clean Pioneer r2
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #15,277 of 20,136
Hey everyone, happy Sunday

I just got an email from Earphone Solution. They are having a Christmas promotion, selling the Phonak PFE012 for $29.99! That is an insane value!

I know Peter and a few others on here have them and will vouch for them.

This is definitely one of the greatest deals of the year. I would buy another one if I didn't already have two pairs.

I vouch for the Phonak's as well, got the same deal last year and sent brother Wokei a pair as well
wink_face.gif
I was worried when I got my Trinity Techne's that they would not seat or fit right and they are like a the PFE's but with aluminum shells
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #15,278 of 20,136
+1, insane deal. Just a shame with the filters.
+1????
Nice!

I've managed to resist the 7xx so far, but the temptation was just too strong on the X2!

I probably shouldn't have bought them - I can pretty much forget about a new DAP now, but it's a good deal (best I've seen) and our dollar is only going to get worse. Besides, hows that saying go, it's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't
biggrin.gif

re: PFE. Haven't tried the green filters myself, mostly because the guys where I bought the iems talked me out of it saying the grey were the way to go

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #15,279 of 20,136
Who needs grey filters?

Oh too late. They are out of stock now.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #15,280 of 20,136
  I've managed to resist the 7xx so far, but the temptation was just too strong on the X2!

I probably shouldn't have bought them - I can pretty much forget about a new DAP now, but it's a good deal (best I've seen) and our dollar is only going to get worse. Besides, hows that saying go, it's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't
biggrin.gif

re: PFE. Haven't tried the green filters myself, mostly because the guys where I bought the iems talked me out of it saying the grey were the way to go

Wow, yours shipped with gray in them Mr. T? HS only shipped them when I got them with green
frown.gif

Who needs grey filters?

Oh too late. They are out of stock now.

I was pretty sure of that as well!

OK Peter, two pair of KZ's
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #15,281 of 20,136

Just made quince jam and jelly for the first time tonight. One quince got me 2.5 12oz jars of jam and 1 12oz jar of jelly. Nice!

Think I might've overcooked the jelly, though. Might be more of a quince paste, lol...

What on earth is quince?

It's a crazy fruit that looks like papaya x pear cross on the outside, smells like pineapple, has the texture of a really dry apple, and is in the rose family. I worked with some Romanians before who just loved them. They're really hard to come buy in stores, but a guy I know has a quince tree and gave me some along with some persimmons not long ago. I cooked some in simple syrup perviously and decided to use the last one to make jam and jelly.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #15,282 of 20,136
Dec 14, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #15,283 of 20,136
New shinies
L3000.gif

I'm gonna try them out and then pass them around. If anyone in US & Canada want a listen in exchange for posting impressions or a review, let me know, yo!
beerchug.gif

Look forward to your impressions, but replace those stock tips :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back