The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5,656 of 8,352
edit: nevermind I assume these are different
Is this legit?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62360_JVC-HASR500B-HA-SR500-B-Foldable-On-Ear-Headphones-Black.html?utm_source=shoppingcom_cse&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=shoppingcom_cse&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=62360

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #5,658 of 8,352
Quote:
Is this legit?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62360_JVC-HASR500B-HA-SR500-B-Foldable-On-Ear-Headphones-Black.html?utm_source=shoppingcom_cse&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=shoppingcom_cse&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=62360

Quote:
Different model.

^ What the Fff, never seen those JVCs before, looks the they are S400/ S500s inspired. But the one you linked are not the same as the S500 model on this thread. These JVC S500s has Carbon Nanotube 40mm drivers and is duel cable entries. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #5,659 of 8,352
Quote:
Is this legit?

I've been interested in these because they're pretty much the ONLY inexpensive headphones out there with phone mic and remote.  But I haven't seen any reviews.  I can't even find any photos of what these look like on the head, in terms of scale.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #5,660 of 8,352
I've been interested in these because they're pretty much the ONLY inexpensive headphones out there with phone mic and remote.  But I haven't seen any reviews.  I can't even find any photos of what these look like on the head, in terms of scale.
Someone posted them a while back, he thought they were okay at best, nowhere near S500... You could get a S400 and recable with an IEM cable. :wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #5,661 of 8,352
did anyone of the s500 owners get to listen to a yamaha pro 500? from reading reviews, it seems that the yammy could be a worthy upgrade to the jvc with a similar sound signature...

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #5,663 of 8,352
btw, i got them for free from yamaha website's survey. which means i'm one of the 25 lucky winners.
cool.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,665 of 8,352
i posted a few weeks ago, that my second pair that came in couple of weeks after my first pair, sounded just the same ootb as the ones i had with a couple of hundreds of hours burned in. look at my sig. burn in is nothing but a myth.

I admire your stance and perceptions. I feel similar way about cables but there always exceptions..
As for burn in. Some headphones are more noticeable than others.

In the es7 thread I had owned three es7 at once one time, and my oldest set had an easily noticeable difference upon A/B testing.
It also had best sound.
The signature sound did remain same in general, but details remained noticeable between them.
So the newer unburned sets did sound the same, but not my older set I wish I kept.

Laws of physics:
A looser diaphragm is less prone to alter the sound...
Less likely to want to "bounce back" to it's resting state.
I noticed it most in the bass taming down with greater control on headsets in general.

So to me, a used can will always sound better than new of same model.
But I don't have a problem with your view either.

Maybe the jvc is not a good candidate for that test without extreme burn.

Also, did anyone try WS55 pads on the S500?
I have them ws55 pads on my s400 so yes they will fit on the s500 and of course better than stock as they open up the soundstage and are more balanced than stock.
Cannot comment on details as I am not home, but that was my immediate impression.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #5,667 of 8,352
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i posted a few weeks ago, that my second pair that came in couple of weeks after my first pair, sounded just the same ootb as the ones i had with a couple of hundreds of hours burned in. look at my sig. burn in is nothing but a myth.

I admire your stance and perceptions. I feel similar way about cables but there always exceptions..
As for burn in. Some headphones are more noticeable than others.

I try to keep an open mind.  Years ago, I had a ZX81 computer that had a membrane keyboard, and I added my own keyboard with real buttons.  It didn't work without some slight modifications, because I used a very long cable, and the capacitance of the cable was interfering with the hard signals from the switches.  So I have no doubt that the characteristics of a cable can in theory have a very significant impact on signal transmission.

Then there's this test described out there somewhere where people couldn't tell the difference between an expensive monster cable and a coat hanger.  But I have problems with this.  They ran both "cables" into a switch box of unknown quality which is much more likely to be the source of any signal degradation than any cable.  And of course a coat hanger is actually a very ideal speaker wire, being both very short and very heavy gauge.

As far as the headphone burn in, somewhere out there somebody actually measured the effect, and it is very real.  It is also very small, but I won't discount our brain's ability to differentiate between extremely subtle changes, because humans tend to be excellent at that.

After saying all that, I have to say that ultimately empirical data always wins.  The large number of humans who claim they can tell the difference is notable, but not highly reliable. So for both of these (cables and burn-in), where's the double blind tests of an audiophile who can reliably tell the difference?  This would be so ridiculously easy to test that, either the test already exists, or the effect probably isn't real.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,668 of 8,352
Maybe people don't care enough if other people disagree with their assertion of burn in? Of course you could pay people to do the test but please do that with trained ears, if you care enough that is.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5,669 of 8,352
So during my office lunch time, i went downstair to J&R and have some times to do an A/B comparison with HD700.
Ipod touch 2G > Go-DAP GD-03
(i don't think they have enough juice to drive the HD700, so everything i'm gonna say maybe not that accurate)
Honestly i don't like the HD700 too much. The signature is U shaped. My S500/AT Pleather is definitely more balanced.
i like the bass of the HD700. It's tight and punchy. it's superior.
Also the soundstage is larger than the S500 for sure.
About mid, i like the S500 much more.

did i just compare S500 to a $1000 HP? i must be joking..

Note: i feel disappointed on HD700. HD650>> HD700 to my ears.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back