The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #5,671 of 8,352
Quote:
Garbage in garbage out, HD700 sounds ABSOLUTELY amazing from tera player.

but not for the price.. from my perspective
$1000 should be more impressive than that, i was thinking HD700 is gonna be an upgrade from HD650. but o well, 2 different animals. I should try the HD800 also next time. and bringing a better amp.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5,672 of 8,352
To me it was an upgrade from HD650 with its slowwww bass (some people said amp could help it, but you need to shell $5000 for that particular amp, yeah). Sure the mid isn't as seductive but it's still charming enough and the overall sound signature is far more versatile than HD650, that's not to say that on some songs HD650 could outmatch HD700, depending on your preference.

I could, however, not stand HD800.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5,673 of 8,352
Quote:
So during my office lunch time, i went downstair to J&R and have some times to do an A/B comparison with HD700.
Ipod touch 2G > Go-DAP GD-03
(i don't think they have enough juice to drive the HD700, so everything i'm gonna say maybe not that accurate)
Honestly i don't like the HD700 too much. The signature is U shaped. My S500/AT Pleather is definitely more balanced.
i like the bass of the HD700. It's tight and punchy. it's superior.
Also the soundstage is larger than the S500 for sure.
About mid, i like the S500 much more.

did i just compare S500 to a $1000 HP? i must be joking..

Note: i feel disappointed on HD700. HD650>> HD700 to my ears.  

surely you are.  I don't know how much the go dap can drive the hd700's.  I never got the chance try them on a portable amp, but I have tried to drive hd600's and hd650 on portable amps and they barely did anything for them.  This was with the RSA shadow, uha4.... they did okay but nothing compared to a pretty decent full sized amp.  Even with the orginal alo rx (which was one of the most capable portable amp in driving full sized headphones back then) didnt come close to pushing them to their potential.  Granted I never tried the go dap, but I doubt it would be any more capable than the portable amps ive tried....it might, who knows.  

That being said; im considering the s500 for a portable headphone.  Have the JVC rx700 somewhere defintely worth the money then.  

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5,675 of 8,352
Also, did anyone try WS55 pads on the S500?

I just did now.
You all need to order the ws55 pads on those s500 as it is super cheap direct from Audio Technica and it is excellent. ..
Compared to stock, it opened up the soundstage as the mids are more natural and lower mids less pronounced and upper bass seems less colored.
Definite huge improvement,
Although the treble is another story left for the mods

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #5,676 of 8,352
Quote:
I just did now.
You all need to order the ws55 pads on those s500 as it is super cheap direct from Audio Technica and it is excellent. ..
Compared to stock, it opened up the soundstage as the mids are more natural and lower mids less pronounced and upper bass seems less colored.

Hey how do you order those WS55 pads direct from ATH??? Forgot to ask about this from that ES700 thread.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #5,677 of 8,352
Quote:

surely you are.  I don't know how much the go dap can drive the hd700's.  I never got the chance try them on a portable amp, but I have tried to drive hd600's and hd650 on portable amps and they barely did anything for them.  This was with the RSA shadow, uha4.... they did okay but nothing compared to a pretty decent full sized amp.  Even with the orginal alo rx (which was one of the most capable portable amp in driving full sized headphones back then) didnt come close to pushing them to their potential.  Granted I never tried the go dap, but I doubt it would be any more capable than the portable amps ive tried....it might, who knows.  

That being said; im considering the s500 for a portable headphone.  Have the JVC rx700 somewhere defintely worth the money then.  

I have the S400 and if they're anything similar to S500 then I can only say that they sound way more above their price if you add big pad to them, otherwise they're just okay.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5,678 of 8,352
I just did now.

link plz :D

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #5,679 of 8,352
Just ordered a pair on Ebay.  Now the wait begins.

When all the dots change to the same colour, they will arrive...
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5,680 of 8,352
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #5,685 of 8,352
^ let get the pad rolling begin once again!!! LoL

Thanks Maxx!

Haha let me use one or two of your pics:

Haha pad roll. .
And they are dirt cheap!

Wait until you hear the opening of the soundstage and more balanced signature. .

The best part is they are portable not huge and dorky so you can enjoy the bigger sound without big pads. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back