The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #106 of 8,352
I don't even know how they're using carbon nanotubes here though.  They are strong, yes, but our current technology isn't at the level where we can actually mass produce complex structures out of them cheaply.  They probably just used carbon nanotube dust and epoxied it together or something. (if that's the case make sure you don't accidentally break the driver or scrape any of it off because carbon nanotubes in that form are poisonous and carcinogenic last time I checked!)

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #108 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't even know how they're using carbon nanotubes here though.  They are strong, yes, but our current technology isn't at the level where we can actually mass produce complex structures out of them cheaply.  They probably just used carbon nanotube dust and epoxied it together or something. (if that's the case make sure you don't accidentally break the driver or scrape any of it off because carbon nanotubes in that form are poisonous and carcinogenic last time I checked!)

Interesting, so I took a quick look and found this...
http://nanopatentsandinnovations.blogspot.com/2010/04/carbon-nanotubes-used-to-make-smaller.html

About two years and you know how fast things advance. I guess we can mass produce a bunch of speaker drivers cheaply now.

Interesting thing is are there more out there or did JVC get the rights to use them first exclusively for a while?

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #109 of 8,352
(if that's the case make sure you don't accidentally break the driver or scrape any of it off because carbon nanotubes in that form are poisonous and carcinogenic last time I checked!)

So are brocolli stems, car disc brakes, and not eating enough Goji berry.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #110 of 8,352
Quote:
Either way, if it sounds like a $500 headphone then JVC knows what they're doing.

LOL
Excessive optimism.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #111 of 8,352
Quote:
 Interesting, so I took a quick look and found this...
http://nanopatentsandinnovations.blogspot.com/2010/04/carbon-nanotubes-used-to-make-smaller.html

About two years and you know how fast things advance. I guess we can mass produce a bunch of speaker drivers cheaply now.

Interesting thing is are there more out there or did JVC get the rights to use them first exclusively for a while?

Interesting!  But that still is fairly similar to what I said, except it's just not powder - it seems like it's just a normal speaker driver that can be made stiffer and thinner by strengthening it with carbon nanotubes?

Quote:

So are brocolli stems, car disc brakes, and not eating enough Goji berry.

True!  But carbon nanotubes and various other fullerenes are extremely carcinogenic, kind of like superpowered asbestos fibres.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #112 of 8,352
Not reading that though. to me I see [size=12pt][size=12pt]"to replace the speakers currently employed" not coating them.[/size][/size] Diagrams show the carbon nanotube film structure.
[size=12pt]Fig 4 shows a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) image of the drawn carbon nanotube film. [/size]
head+4+aligned+cnt.jpg

FIG. 5 shows an SEM image of another carbon nanotube film with carbon nanotubes entangled with each other. 
head+5+tangled.jpg

The film is the diaphragm material as in mylar film diaphragm etc. not a film in the sense of a film that is applied to/covering something else.

The couple of diagrams I saw JVC give suggest/give the impression of the film of the non-entangled variety like the top figure is what they use for their diaphragms.

Anyway, back on topic. Seems they are off to a nice start however they make them. I like my Cresyn's Titanium coated drivers very much. Made of/coated with really doesn't matter much to me if it sounds good :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #114 of 8,352
Hey Dsnuts, can you do a direct A/B on these JVC S500s and the FXD 70s?  Since you said the 70's are a direct upgrade to the FX40s I really want to know if the revealing/ picky nature that gives the 40s harsh/ sibilant highs are taken care of in the 70's.  I just want to know how these seemingly smooth S500s directly compare with the 70s and which one edges out, it makes sense right?......even though they are different animals.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #115 of 8,352
Yes the film is the diaphragm material.

Diaphragm materials usually come in the 'coated' or 'pure' variety.  For example the Sony E888 has a pure bio-cellulose film, the Creative Aurvana Live! is bio-cel coated on top of microfibre.

The pure bio-cel in the E888 was actually very weak and could perforate with too much bass, so the CAL! variety makes sense, however I don't think perforation is possible with CNT since it's stronger than spider silk.

All JVC has to do is buy pure CNT film in bulk and then turn that into a diaphragm, they've already made pure Magnesium and wood diaphragms etc. so I'm assuming they have the technology, experience, lab equipment etc. available.

Mylar is stretched polyester and I think it's the most common material in headphones, yet I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all of the popular price/performance ratio headphones through time tend to use something more unique.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #116 of 8,352
Oh My Goodness! I wasn't prepared for this.WOOOW!!.

Lol. Seriously. GO GET ONE OF THESE!!! Everyone gotta hear these. These are UNREAL!! lol..The sound is absolutely beautiful guys what can I say..

I am happy to report. After straight 40 plus hours of aggressive Drum n Bass played at 85% max volume.. I can clearly tell these are starting to loosen up...I threw these on my desktop to compare against the FXD70. Oh my goodness. I just had an eargasm..

The greatest thing about these. I will say I know guys are not ok with on ears but. You know what it ain't a big deal when you hear this sound. You will miss out on one of the most beautiful sounds I have heard. These are colored beautifully in sound. I am very happy to report.If you guys give these a real burn in. These will reward with something I was not prepared for. I can't believe what I am hearing.

What makes these worth owning even if you own the other JVC products. These have a much more fuller sound over the FXD earphones. Imagine the FXD70, FXD80 with a bigger sound in a headphone format..I am in love.<3!!

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #118 of 8,352
Quote:
Oh My Goodness! I wasn't prepared for this.WOOOW!!.

Lol. Seriously. GO GET ONE OF THESE!!! Everyone gotta hear these. These are UNREAL!! lol..The sound is absolutely beautiful guys what can I say..

I am happy to report. After straight 40 plus hours of aggressive Drum n Bass played at 85% max volume.. I can clearly tell these are starting to loosen up...I threw these on my desktop to compare against the FXD70. Oh my goodness. I just had an eargasm..

The greatest thing about these. I will say I know guys are not ok with on ears but. You know what it ain't a big deal when you hear this sound. You will miss out on one of the most beautiful sounds I have heard. These are colored beautifully in sound. I am very happy to report.If you guys give these a real burn in. These will reward with something I was not prepared for. I can't believe what I am hearing.

What makes these worth owning even if you own the other JVC products. These have a much more fuller sound over the FXD earphones. Imagine the FXD70, FXD80 with a bigger sound in a headphone format..I am in love.<3!!

whoah, whoah, does that mean the mids improved? I am thinking of buying the fxd80s, but I don't know if I can now that you just put this post up! :S
How does the full sound compare to the ckm500s now? Is it the same or better and refined? If it isn't I think I will go for the fxd80 since everyone keeps saying the timbre of it is so good.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #120 of 8,352

Users who are viewing this thread

Back