The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #76 of 8,352
S500 > M80, CAL! and WS55?

I'm all in. Already have the FXD80, might as well get this too.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #77 of 8,352
Quote:
I met with Dale Lott, the owner of Aurisonics, today in the Chi. I let him hear the S500, and he said he was impressed with them for what they are in their market category. No they can't beat the Aurisonics products (especially nowhere near the AS-2), but he liked what JVC has done with the carbon nanotubes technology. And Dale knows sound like no other person I've ever met. He was shocked by the based $52 (Japanese) price too. Great guy!!

I have ASG-1 and enjoying it immensely.. ericp10, how does S500 compared to ASG-1 (1.2)? 

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #78 of 8,352
Quote:
By the way, Dsnuts, you would be interested to know that Dale kind of liked the sound the CKM500 too. He said "very interesting! Nice." Again, keeping things in perspective of course.

I can't wait to get my hands on the ASG-2s. I got high expectations of those for certain. In the mean while I love the sounds that are coming out of this small headphone. These are simply amazing. This sound for this much should not exist. These are candy from the audiophile gods..All because of your curiosity. 

Don't blame this one on me fellas. You all need to blame this man right here. He got me with. "These sound like the FXD80" Exsqueeze me? In a 40mm Carbon Nanotube headphone? Bigger sounding version of the FXD80s? really? I had no choice,  I went directly to ace of bicycle.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #79 of 8,352
Quote:
I have ASG-1 and enjoying it immensely.. ericp10, how does S500 compared to ASG-1 (1.2)? 

They are completely different sounding animals, tgx78. I think there is better bass and more details in the mids in the ASG-1.2. I think the highs are more extended, but smoothed out more in the IEM so you may not realized how extended the highs are. I have about 40 hours burn-in on the S500. The JVC is close, but not quite there yet to ASG-1.2 level. But again, they don't share the same sound signature at all. The JVC's sound is a more closed in sound (with these headphones anyway).

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #80 of 8,352
@dsnuts how is the comfort from the S500 as compared to the M80? I own the M80 so will be able to use that as reference. Also how does the ears pads of the S500 differ from the M80 on ear (not the shape)?

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #81 of 8,352
dsnuts, can you talk at all about the timbre of the HA-S500s? That's one thing I really appreciate about my M80s -- Though they're not reference-accurate, I find they maintain the total character of my music quite well. I've listened to other headphones with more extended, detailed highs and more textured lows, and still found them much less pleasing because their overall tone/signature feels off.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #82 of 8,352
Quote:
dsnuts, can you talk at all about the timbre of the HA-S500s? That's one thing I really appreciate about my M80s -- Though they're not reference-accurate, I find they maintain the total character of my music quite well. I've listened to other headphones with more extended, detailed highs and more textured lows, and still found them much less pleasing because their overall tone/signature feels off.

Read. Earlier, he said the timbre is similar.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #84 of 8,352
Quote:
Read. Earlier, he said the timbre is similar.

But...but...I CAN'T READ!

Ah, I see it now: "Timbre detail on these are tops very similar to the new JVC earphones the FXD70 and the FXD80s." I suppose if I'd heard either the FXD70 or FXD80, that would be meaningful to me. Thanks for your diplomatic input, FieldingMellish.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #86 of 8,352
Quote:
Can someone link me to the S500 page on ebay as I can't find ace of bicycle.

There you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-gunmetal-HA-S500-Z-/110929464523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3e94ccb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-HA-S500-B-/360473346282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ede2c0ea

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #87 of 8,352
Quote:

But...but...I CAN'T READ!

Ah, I see it now: "Timbre detail on these are tops very similar to the new JVC earphones the FXD70 and the FXD80s." I suppose if I'd heard either the FXD70 or FXD80, that would be meaningful to me. Thanks for your diplomatic input, FieldingMellish.

LMAO! great.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #88 of 8,352
Quote:
@dsnuts how is the comfort from the S500 as compared to the M80? I own the M80 so will be able to use that as reference. Also how does the ears pads of the S500 differ from the M80 on ear (not the shape)?

The HA-S500 pads are cushy vinyl vs cushy pleather that is on the M-80s. Fit wise I would say very similar in clamp and how they fit. The HA-S500 is a bit bigger than the M-80 diameter wise. Circular vs Oval shape. For smaller ears I can see these actually being over hear. But for the most of us it will mostly be on ear.

Quote:

My track test for natural timbre detail and imagery is Sade's Your love is king.  The M-80 does a great job with timbre but is somewhat laid back which many will like. I may have come out kinda harsh on the M-80s but those are indeed a great sounding headphone and is worth the cash to get one. When you combine the build and the solid sound the cost is justified for certain.  Many guys will prefer the more neutral sound presentation that is on the M-80s. Guys that want a bit more imagery more forward highs mids lows the HA-S500 are just that. While both are portables. Both clearly have different tuning..The M-80s are more neutral in sound  while these HA-S500 are a more musical in sound characteristics. More intimate than the M-80 in sound but clearly has the tech to back up the forwardness. What I mean by this. These Carbon Nantubes clearly have a high end resolution when it comes to sound reproduction..Traditional Ne magnet drivers will have a tough time matching the detail and clarity of these drivers. This is apparent on the FXD earphones and it clearly shows on these headphones as well.

So yes while the whole sound spectrum is north of neutral. This is not a bad thing. When done right. What you get is better imagery/ 3D ish "HD" that is on the box. Perhaps these Carbon Nanotubes are some of the first to pull this off correct. I noticed when other companies color their sound something is always lacking during the tuning phase. Be it timbre detail. Defined mids, Sold bass. Many times you get 2 aspects but not the 3rd. These JVCs have all of it. Which makes them.. Something special..

So if neutralism is more important to you the M-80 does edge out the much cheaper JVC HA-S500. The HA-S500 timbre detail I find exceptional however. I think because of the closed in design with the powerful driver that combine a more in your face type experience in the music more than the M-80s. Details are much easier to pick off on the JVCs.. The sound is more full bodied if that makes sense.. The JVCs sound is bolder, more intimate. The M-80s take more of the middle road. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #89 of 8,352
Dsnuts, many thanks for expounding on the timbre aspect vis-a-vis the M80s. It's much appreciated. I'm finding it difficult to resist ordering these -- You're quite the salesman.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #90 of 8,352
Quote:
Oh dear...now I have to decide whether I want the FXD70s or these......this is simply not fair.

Get both.
biggrin.gif
. Both are excellent. But you have to ask yourself if you want an on ear headphone vs a comfy in ear iem. Sound wise, you already had the FX40 so you can expect more greatness from these 2. IT will come down to what will be your phone of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back