The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #91 of 8,352
Quote:
Hmm... after buying the FX 101's around 2 months ago the FX40's were next on my list. Now you mention these though! 
mad.gif
 The price is very tempting and I may have to snap them up lol.  How do these compare to the CKM500's AND CKS77's?

I think the tuning on these HA-S500 have similarities to that of the CKM500 more than the CKS77.. Rich highs and mids that are on the CKM500 are also on these JVC headphones. But add to that Rich bass. The CKS77 is out classed by JVCs newest however.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #92 of 8,352
Quote:
There you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-gunmetal-HA-S500-Z-/110929464523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3e94ccb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Stereo-headphone-HA-S500-B-/360473346282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ede2c0ea

Thanks 
normal_smile .gif

Yeah Dsnuts is quite the salesman huh? He should consider that as a career path 
etysmile.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #95 of 8,352
Well JVC has done a knock out job with all their new earphones and headphones this year.. AT has brought out some greatness too but not quite like JVC where it seems they simply can't go wrong on whatever they release. I hope one day we see a full sized can using these drivers. I will be one of the first to snap it up for certain. I had a sneaking feeling these headphones were gonna be something special when Jant first showed us pics of them and upon word that they are going to use their newly developed carbon nanotube drivers. It didn't take much for me to bite. I am thankful for Ericp who was first to get one..I can safely say. Yes. these are worth having in your stable.

I think for the price and more importantly the sound. Ya these headphones kick much booty. When you look at them they don't look like anything out of the ordinary headphone wise. It is when you get immersed into your tunes you will realize what I am talking about. I love the tuning they did on these. These are headphones to just get lost in your music with and shut out the word.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #96 of 8,352
DSnuts, I've got a comparison question for you. Answer if you can and want to. IN terms of soundstage, imaging and airiness, how does the JVC HA-S500 compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500 and CKS77?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #97 of 8,352
JVC HA-S500 > Audio Technica WS55? 
blink.gif

Crap...something else to put on the wishlist....lol

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #98 of 8,352
Is there a full sized pair of headphones (non portable) you would compare these to? I know you had said the CKM500s full sized are like the 900x's and I'm looking for a full sized but these sound more like what I want but I don't like the feeling of on ears.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #99 of 8,352
Well stage is just average for the HA-S500. It isn't a small stage but it certainly isn't like my HD595. These are closed so that is to be expected. Now how do they fair against the CKS77 and the CKM500. Airiness wise JVCs HFD80 are tops for in ears in airiness for me but both the CKM500 and CKS77 gives off a headphone like stage and sound with an amazing amount of depth as well..Airiness for a closed design is a tall task but these HA-S500 does a good job with instrument separation which gives off a bit of airiness to the sounds. Much better than most closed designs I have heard. Again these aren't semi open so staging is somewhat intimate but this does not take away any type of enjoyment in the sounds at all. Just a different flavor.

Imagery on the CKM500 is solid. While not at the level that is on the FXD80 it is one of ATs best efforts and does everything well including imagery. Imagery takes a step back on these HA-S500 to the CKM500 and the FXD80 but I wouldn't say it is lacking in this department..I think the nature of in ears bodes well for imagery and the Micro HD even better that is on the FXD80. For headphones imagery is done very well on these. So again nothing really lacking or missing in the sounds to enjoy all your tunes. The CKS77. Is more bass oriented earphone but has the biggest widest stage for all AT earphones but also has the most coloration out of all of ATs earphone lines. More like the monster earphones. Completely different animal really.. But surprisingly. I will put up the sub bass of these HA-S500 against the CKS77. Very comparable if not stronger on the HA-S500.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #100 of 8,352
Quote:
Well stage is just average for the HA-S500. It isn't a small stage but it certainly isn't like my HD595. These are closed so that is to be expected. Now how do they fair against the CKS77 and the CKM500. Airiness wise JVCs HFD80 are tops for in ears in airiness for me but both the CKM500 and CKS77 gives off a headphone like stage and sound with an amazing amount of depth as well..Airiness for a closed design is a tall task but these HA-S500 does a good job with instrument separation which gives off a bit of airiness to the sounds. Much better than most closed designs I have heard. Again these aren't semi open so staging is somewhat intimate but this does not take away any type of enjoyment in the sounds at all. Just a different flavor.

Imagery on the CKM500 is solid. While not at the level that is on the FXD80 it is one of ATs best efforts and does everything well including imagery. Imagery takes a step back on these HA-S500 to the CKM500 and the FXD80 but I wouldn't say it is lacking in this department..I think the nature of in ears bodes well for imagery and the Micro HD even better that is on the FXD80. For headphones imagery is done very well on these. So again nothing really lacking or missing in the sounds to enjoy all your tunes. The CKS77. Is more bass oriented earphone but has the biggest widest stage for all AT earphones but also has the most coloration out of all of ATs earphone lines. More like the monster earphones. Completely different animal really.. But surprisingly. I will put up the sub bass of these HA-S500 against the CKS77. Very comparable if not stronger on the HA-S500.

Thank you for the comparisons. I really appreciate it. Comparing headphones is a tough task since you can't just buy these anywhere and they vary so much from source to components to seal. Audio is a tougher beast to describe than Video.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #104 of 8,352
Now one advice I can give to the guys that just bought these.. Please do burn them in really well,  and the reasoning for this. I don't care if you guys believe in burn in or not. These drivers are STIFF. All of the carbon nanotube earphones needed at least a 100 hours if not more to fully loosen the drivers. I don't expect these HA-S500s to be any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back