The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #46 of 8,352
Quote:
@kiteki
Hyping is inevitable for newer products, I've come to terms with that. Doesn't mean the hyped product is bad though, just that it's solidity may be overblown. 
About the 80s..
It seems to be a solid, exiting product, but not a game-changer by any means. I've been hearing complains about the 80s from knowing users via PMs not sure why those users don't post though, perhaps they are going to in the future.

Anyway, let the discussion of these continue.  

Cuz they don't want to get ran over by the hype train!!! LoL   

.................. more feedback/ postings would be nice regardless of it being negative or positive tbh. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #48 of 8,352
Do they need to be amped or is an iPhone going to be plenty for them?

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 8,352
First A/B.

The very new HA-S500
this is the all black version and not the Z gun metal one I have. VS...

V-moda M-80s. I can't argue with the build quality of the tank like M-80s and their sound is more neutral than anything else they have ever made making them a headfi favorite and I was an early adapter when these came out..

So how can a $50 portable compete with the likes of a $200 one? Read on

I have both on my burn station and I paused burn in to do my first A/B against a well established headphone just to see where we are at sound wise. How do the JVCs fare against these V-modas? well ah a better question would be..

Anybody want a pair of V-modas for sale? Lol.

Highs..
HA-S500> M-80.  No contest. with more micro details to boot..It is the one area that I thought the M-80s could improve upon and the cheaper HA-S500 is better and much cleaner extended as well.

Mids
HA-S500> M-80.  Everyone knows the real aspect of the M-80 sound is their lush mids. Well they kinda failed against the HA-S500. In fact I will go as far as to say I prefer the imaging and a bit more forwardness of the HA-S500 more so than the M-80s. Not only more detailed in the mids but better imagery as well.

Lows.
No contest. The HA-S500 beat the poo out of the M-80 in the sub bass arena. No contest.

Well there you have it. The very first A/B and not one I am happy with as I now have a sub par M-80 that will be collecting dust.

Winner

The sounds on the HA-S500 are much more vivid more detailed extended better and has better bass. What can I say. Oh yea I forgot the sound staging is better on the M-80s as they are a vented design but minus this. They loose.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #52 of 8,352
Actually now that I own one. This is actually true. lol..Ya this A/B I just did proves it. The M-80s sound kinda dull compared to the HA-S500. Lol. I should be pissed.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #55 of 8,352
I dont care about iPhone controls, i was just hoping they were easy enough to drive. I may try them eventually.
Quote:
No iphone controls but these are efficient for iphone usage for certain. They play out of my Sony Z1060 perfectly.  Your iphone should drive these just fine.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #56 of 8,352
Quote:
Can you compare these to the WS55 next?

Ask and Ye shall receive.

2nd A/B. Against one of my all time portable cans the WS55.

These have a solid clean balanced sound with equally a solid bass end..So how does the $50 JVC HA-S500 compare to these $100 WS55?

Interesting. The tuning of these AT comes more closer to the sound on the HA-S500. But here is where the JVCs pull the win

Highs
HA-S500 has the upper hand on the highs. In fact I will go as far as to say these are some of the best highs I have ever heard for a headphone let alone a portable one.  While the WS555 has good extension and the highs do a great job with the details. They don't compare to the highs that are on the HA-S500. Much more cleaner sounding with crisp detail on the JVCs while not being too bright or fatiguing in any way..Dare I say almost perfect?

Mids
Mids on the WS55 sound a bit drier vs the vivid lushness of the JVCs. More detail is what I hear for the mids. Much cleaner imagery here as well. .

Lows
Here is where it gets interesting. The WS55 are called solid bass for a reason. They have solid bass impact and extends well on the bass tunes but compared to the JVCs. Not as good. The JVCs extends lower and sounds more textured than the WS55 bass end..

Winner again. The JVC HA-S500. Basically these cheaper HA-S500 are an upgrade to the sound that is on the WS55... Next.. I don't have to A/B against my Cals at all. I already know the winner of that bout. No contest. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #59 of 8,352
Thank you =).. So if it's between one of the FXD's or the S500 do they still win out? I don't need a complete comparison just a matter of should I purchase another in ear or are these what I should be buying.. I already have the CKM500 and FX40

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #60 of 8,352
OK, you all are just EVIL!!! But wait, if this was good enough to keep me from thinking about buying the AH-D600EM or the AH-C400 maybe your Angels sent from heaven... LOL. I have to admit I am intrigued. I do wish they had at least a talk button for controls and I do wish they were over ear for comfort but I am intrigued none the less. Hmmmm these things are even less money than the FXD80.... $70 and I might not feel a need to go buy really expensive gear.... hmmmm I'm going to sleep on this and wait for a few more reviews if them high falutin Denon's and then decide. But that price tag sure do look temptin. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back