The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #436 of 606
I've driven the 650 just fine from a D10 before, though granted the transients at high volume will strain it and cause a bit of clipping if turned up high. I wonder if maybe it's more the sonic differences attributed to the HD-Q7 rather than power? The gain on the ortofon isn't too high either (though it does have more power), but it's sonic character is quite bright and livens up the Sennheiser sound quite a bit, taking away that so called veil.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #437 of 606

Quote:
On the D12 your computer should recognize that it accepts USB 24/96 and I would change it to that as to my ears, it sounds better. With that done, I find that USB is very good, better than I have heard from USB before. This is a reference to using the D12 USB. 

Actually, the USB is limited to 16 bits at 48K, that's the limit of the 2906b USB chip.  I know you can get TOSLINK in at 96, and I *think* but have not verified that the Coax input supports this.  iBasso's website is pretty minimal, but based on the use of the CS8416 chip it looks like they can handle 24/96 on the other inputs and maintain that resolution through the Wolfson chips.  

Interestingly, the USB input uses Adaptive mode, vs. Asynchronous.  Same as the Burson, though I think the Burson put in a very high-end 10pps jitter clock, and also galvanic isolation.  It'd be really great is iBasso would publish a bit more data for geeks curious about how these little gems work their magic...

popcorn.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #438 of 606
The D12 can drive my 650's louder than I want to hear them.  Some just may prefer the Ortofon sound.  To me the 650 is plenty bright and not at all veiled, but I have a recent build and the sound is purportedly different from older 650s.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #439 of 606

Quote:
Actually, the USB is limited to 16 bits at 48K, that's the limit of the 2906b USB chip.  I know you can get TOSLINK in at 96, and I *think* but have not verified that the Coax input supports this.  iBasso's website is pretty minimal, but based on the use of the CS8416 chip it looks like they can handle 24/96 on the other inputs and maintain that resolution through the Wolfson chips.  

You are right. I guess my mind was on the D6, which does do 24/96 on the USB. The new DB-2 balanced dac that has just been released also can do 24/96 on the USB. 

I do find the USB on the D12 very clean though and a step up from previous. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #440 of 606
I like the USB too.  The adaptive seems to work very well and addresses complaints around jitter...  I'd like to hear a D6.  Since I don't use the TOS and Coax inputs, it probably is a better fit for my orthos.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #441 of 606

Quote:
I've driven the 650 just fine from a D10 before, though granted the transients at high volume will strain it and cause a bit of clipping if turned up high. I wonder if maybe it's more the sonic differences attributed to the HD-Q7 rather than power? The gain on the ortofon isn't too high either (though it does have more power), but it's sonic character is quite bright and livens up the Sennheiser sound quite a bit, taking away that so called veil.

Well actually this might be what's happening, Ive never had a chance to listen to the 650's so lively and clear, when i crank up the volume a little bit i can really feel the headphones dancing. But i cannot stop feeling that the d12 is struggling because it sounds darker and the sound gets really thick. Volume wise i think it delivers enough volume but not the sound quality i was expecting.
The Hd-Q7 is thought to be a low power unit but when i connected the 650's to it i got QUITE surprised. One has to hear it to understand.
OFC one has a psu while the other is battery powered so it might be an unfair comparison.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #442 of 606
I reviewed the HD-Q7 a little while back. It has two inputs, one of which (the 1/8") is much more responsive to input levels. From this one, feeding it a loud signal (an amped one) can give you a very high output level. The RCA inputs seem to trim all volume adjustments down. I suspect that this one was meant for line levels and perhaps has some sort of built in limiter or different load rating, but no specs were available so I can't say for certain (and I didn't think to try measuring when I had the unit).

The HD-Q7 really is a lively little unit, and I would say it falls more into the "love it or hate it" camp due to its inherent sonic characteristics. As I tend to prefer darker tones myself (and started spending all my money on DIY), I eventually sent the unit back. I loved the design and form factor though.

May 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #443 of 606
Has anyone used this with the K701s or K702s?  I'm looking to see if this has enough power to drive the AKGs.  I like the fact this iBasso has an optical in.

Thanks in advance!

May 11, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #444 of 606

Quote:
Has anyone used this with the K701s or K702s?  I'm looking to see if this has enough power to drive the AKGs.  I like the fact this iBasso has an optical in.

Thanks in advance!

I have. As an amplifier only being driven from the line out of an iPod Classic, it struggles even after 12:00. As an amplifier+DAC though, things get better, but only by a little. It gets loud enough for me at 12:00 and can go up to 3:00 comfortably, but not at 4:00 because past that and it clips really badly. That's with a couple hundred hours on the K701s, which I think is enough.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #445 of 606
i have a question...

I connected my Ibasso d12 to my laptop and plug my headphone to Aux In/out port, but then i cannot use the volume controller on my ibasso. i can only use the volume control from my itunes/players in my laptop.  the maximum volume is quite low..

And if I connect headphone to the "Phone" port on my ibasso d12, i can use the volume control on my ibasso D12, so i just leave my itunes at max volume and use the D12's volume controller. The volume in this one is much louder, i can set my ibasso colume controller at 12 o'clock position for loud enough comfortable volume.

So, what is the diffrent between "Aux In/Out" port and "Phone" port. will there be any difference in sound quality between this port ? so far i cant compare because the "Aux In/Out" port have small volume.

I may consider to buy fiio E9 to re amp the "Aux In/Out" port

My headphone is AKG K702

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #446 of 606

Quote:
i have a question...

I connected my Ibasso d12 to my laptop and plug my headphone to Aux In/out port, but then i cannot use the volume controller on my ibasso. i can only use the volume control from my itunes/players in my laptop.  the maximum volume is quite low..

And if I connect headphone to the "Phone" port on my ibasso d12, i can use the volume control on my ibasso D12, so i just leave my itunes at max volume and use the D12's volume controller. The volume in this one is much louder, i can set my ibasso colume controller at 12 o'clock position for loud enough comfortable volume.

So, what is the diffrent between "Aux In/Out" port and "Phone" port. will there be any difference in sound quality between this port ? so far i cant compare because the "Aux In/Out" port have small volume.

I may consider to buy fiio E9 to re amp the "Aux In/Out" port

My headphone is AKG K702

The Aux In/Out is meant to be an output for sending a decoded digital signal to another amp (or other device) or as an input for such devices as a DAP, CD player, etc.  It is not meant as a headphone output, as  there is no volume control.  It outputs a line-level signal of about 2v max, much less than the headphone output. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #447 of 606

Quote:
The Aux In/Out is meant to be an output for sending a decoded digital signal to another amp (or other device) or as an input for such devices as a DAP, CD player, etc.  It is not meant as a headphone output, as  there is no volume control.  It outputs a line-level signal of about 2v max, much less than the headphone output. 

i see...

thank you for explaining..

is there should be any difference in sound quality if i use the Aux In/Out to connect the ibasso D12 to a desktop amp compared to just using the "phone" port ?

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #448 of 606
i see...

is there should be any difference in sound quality if i use the Aux In/Out to connect the ibasso D12 to a desktop amp compared to just using the "phone" port ?

Using the Aux out is the better way to pass a signal to a desktop amp as it will be unaffected by the D12 amp section.
That is the reason for having an Aux output.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #449 of 606
I use my D12 primarily as a standalone DAC and connect my LD1+ using the aux in/out port and the sound is amazing. The D12 is a surprisingly good DAC and the benefit is I can simply unplug it and take it to the hammock in the backyard and use it there. 

Quote:
i see...

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #450 of 606
The D12 with dual Wolfson dacs and the DB-2 both do an excellent job. I find them to be open and detailed and belie their size to performance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back