The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Dec 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #331 of 606

Quote:
When you miss something when you don't use it, you got something good. I feel that way with my racing bike and mountain bike on the roads. The racing bike has so much more effortless speed and handling that the mountain bike feels like I am pedaling a boat.

...but try pedaling that racing bike through some technical singletrack and you'll miss your mountain bike soon enough :)

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #332 of 606

Quote:
I am posting a link here to the Sys Concepts optical cable because it is that good. I can hear the difference with 16/48 and anything higher like 24/96 requires it. There really is a difference and for what you get, the cable is cheap. 

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=365

Wow! I ordered 2 cables with different ends and lengths before I saw this post. Thanks for the re-assurance. :)

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #333 of 606

Quote:
Quote:
When you miss something when you don't use it, you got something good. I feel that way with my racing bike and mountain bike on the roads. The racing bike has so much more effortless speed and handling that the mountain bike feels like I am pedaling a boat.

...but try pedaling that racing bike through some technical singletrack and you'll miss your mountain bike soon enough :)

Well, yeah. The mountain bike rules off road.

To get back on topic, I currently use Monoprice fiber optic cable which is probably the worst on the market. I need some other stuff such as a good source and an amp before I get a good fiber optic cable.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #335 of 606
Both the D12 and P4 have excellent amplifier sections.  The P4 offers more possibilities for experimenting with different opamps and has a higher output if you intend to drive very difficult phones such as the AKG K340.   It is a basic amplifier only, whereas the D12 includes inputs for USB, Optical and Coax.   It can be recharged via the USB input and does not require an external charger as does the P4.  

The choice between the 2 is really based on your equipment needs, as both sound excellent. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #336 of 606
I meant comparisons betweeen their respective equipment types, but I was concerned that by getting a D12 I may lose out on what the P4's amp has to offer, while at the same time I have no idea how good the P4 actually is.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #337 of 606
Hiflight has been saying the D12 has enough power for all but the most power hungry cans, and you get a lot of flexibility with it. Unless you have or want some really hard to drive cans, I would go for the D12.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #338 of 606
I see. As the P4 seems different from the P3+ but the D12 is a new D12 but with what I've heard of it, I guess it could be the better choice for me.

Would this make the D12 better value for money?

There are still a few things to consider however, as the line out on my Fuze doesn't work with Rockbox installed. FLACvest suggested amping from the headphone out but I'm unsure of the consequences.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #339 of 606
Quote:
I meant comparisons betweeen their respective equipment types, but I was concerned that by getting a D12 I may lose out on what the P4's amp has to offer, while at the same time I have no idea how good the P4 actually is.

The P4 has a more powerful amp but both the D12 and P4 are extremely good sounding. It really depends upon what phones you will be using and if you need a dac, and the D12 has dual dacs, one for each channel and being that they are the best portable Wolfson dacs you get some good digital to analog conversion going on there. 
Quote:
I see. As the P4 seems different from the P3+ but the D12 is a new D12 but with what I've heard of it, I guess it could be the better choice for me.

Would this make the D12 better value for money?

There are still a few things to consider however, as the line out on my Fuze doesn't work with Rockbox installed. FLACvest suggested amping from the headphone out but I'm unsure of the consequences.

If you amp from the headphone out, you are running the signal through the amp section of the Fuze and then to the amp section of the D12, which in my opinion is one too many amps. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #340 of 606

Quote:

Do you have the most recent rockbox build? The latest one is supposed to work with Fuze lineout.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #342 of 606
I was able to operate the D12 very successfully with my JH16s, which are low power consumers, without the buffers.  This noticeably improved the sound, giving even sharper transients and increasing the sense of "air" and dark-space between the notes.  Very impressive and flexible device.

The SQ is ultimately not as good as the CEntrance DACPort, but it's much more flexible and self-powered, so they each have a spot in my quiver...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #343 of 606
I have some different op amps I ordered from HiFlight for the D12 that I look forward to trying with buffers bypassed like Mrspeakers mentions. I look forward to the combination with my JH13's. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #344 of 606

I have some different op amps I ordered from HiFlight for the D12 that I look forward to trying with buffers bypassed like Mrspeakers mentions. I look forward to the combination with my JH13's. 

G
Let me know how it goes...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back