The Hybrid IEM Thread... The Best of Both Worlds?
Mar 21, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #166 of 236
I wouldn't take graphs as solid foundation on how an IEM sounds, one thing I learnt real quick. Take the Aurisonics ASG-2 for example, quoted by one to be worse than a telephone receiver yet it's one of the best hybrids I've heard. Haha...

I own the A83, it sounds amazing!

Right with you on that. Can't hear a graph. Havi B3 Pro 1 looks terrible on paper and yet is quite a good budget IEM in my experience (budget in this case being sub-$100). Despite what the graphs say, what you hear can be a totally different thing.
Another happy Fidue A83 owner here!
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #167 of 236

I want to believe but this graph shows a nasty drop in the 4khz reigon.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FidueA83.pdf

Can any FidueA83 owners comment on this?

When you read a graph, you shouldn't focus on what looks bad, you should practice recognising (often subtle) features that sound bad. This is the number-one reason why people claim graphs don't represent what they hear.

Upon first inspection, there seems to be a huge dip at about 4 KHz. However, if you look carefully at the grey (uncompensated) curve and compare that area to the baseline level (around 1KHz), the only bit that's missing is really a very narrow notch. Narrow means that very little of the sound spectrum is missing, and while it looks bad, it would be almost inaudible.

What's more important is the shape of the bass hump, which looks to have a slight midbass emphasis, and the ~8000KHz treble peak, which would make it sound detailed (or sibilant to some). These two things are subjective so they may be positives to you. Otherwise, the graph looks fine.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #168 of 236
the noir in ear of Degauss Labs is highly recommended. especially when an equalizer is used. If this model has someone and the neutron player uses, here is a recommendation. These settings may sound the earphones in the direction of neutral to slightly bathtub.

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #169 of 236
So I was thinking of upgrading my iem from Gr07 to a hybrid, but there are too many choices...anyone can help narrow down my list, or which one would suit my need the best? Looking for an iem that is neutral (natural?) Or warm Sounding, not to v-shaped. I don't want too much sibilance, and tight Bass, not that bloated. Should be comfortable to wear for a couple of hours, this preferably no fatiguing highs. Prices preferably less than $200sgd. The source used will be the Fiio X1, Fiio X3II, and the Moto X 2014

My list includes:
Fidue A73?
TPeos Altone 250?
TPeos 200?
Trinity Audio Delta?
Dunu Dn1000?

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #170 of 236
So I was thinking of upgrading my iem from Gr07 to a hybrid, but there are too many choices...anyone can help narrow down my list, or which one would suit my need the best? Looking for an iem that is neutral (natural?) Or warm Sounding, not to v-shaped. I don't want too much sibilance, and tight Bass, not that bloated. Should be comfortable to wear for a couple of hours, this preferably no fatiguing highs. Prices preferably less than $200sgd. The source used will be the Fiio X1, Fiio X3II, and the Moto X 2014

My list includes:
Fidue A73?
TPeos Altone 250?
TPeos 200?
Trinity Audio Delta?
Dunu Dn1000?

You can consider aurisonics asg2.5 and FLC 8S too.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #172 of 236

My list includes:
Fidue A73?
TPeos Altone 250?
TPeos 200?
Trinity Audio Delta?
Dunu Dn1000?

I could recommend either the Delta or the A73 out of that list. Delta is natural and has a slight v-shape to it (with the gunmetal filter which is my personal pick) and the A73 tends to be a warm-sounding, though not dark, IEM. Both are built well as far as I can tell and as long as your ears aren't abnormally small, they should be comfortable as well. Might have slightly easier fit time with the Delta since it's a straight barrel IEM. It also has the advantage of being good for wearing straight-down or over-ear. I'd advise to strike the DN1000 off your list though as it's known to have a brighter signature which will cause fatigue.

You can consider aurisonics asg2.5 and FLC 8S too.

Unfortunately seems to be outta the quoted price range, though I've heard great things about both models.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #173 of 236
I could recommend either the Delta or the A73 out of that list. Delta is natural and has a slight v-shape to it (with the gunmetal filter which is my personal pick) and the A73 tends to be a warm-sounding, though not dark, IEM. Both are built well as far as I can tell and as long as your ears aren't abnormally small, they should be comfortable as well. Might have slightly easier fit time with the Delta since it's a straight barrel IEM. It also has the advantage of being good for wearing straight-down or over-ear. I'd advise to strike the DN1000 off your list though as it's known to have a brighter signature which will cause fatigue.

Unfortunately seems to be outta the quoted price range, though I've heard great things about both models.

Thanks a lot! :wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #174 of 236
My list includes:
Fidue A73?
TPeos Altone 250?
TPeos 200?
Trinity Audio Delta?
Dunu Dn1000?

You can strike DN-1000 off that list. That is the very definition of recessed mids. You will not enjoy it one bit coming from the GR07. A buddy of mine just ordered the Deltas. I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #176 of 236
Sure, thanks. The Delta's costs about $200 after converting the currency
frown.gif

Unfortunately for you, I think all of your considerations sit around that pricing, possibly more since I don't know how much the TPeos IEMs cost. If you're happy with an older model that seems to fit the bill, I'd say the VSonic GR06 should actually do a pretty good job for you, well at least in the world of non-hybrids anyway. But I'd still say the A73 and Delta would be your best bet, I feel like the TPeos IEMs cost more.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #177 of 236
The key issue I've come across with hybrid IEMs is that they seem to be impossible to tune correctly.
Either the dynamic driver is tuned for overpowering bass leaving very little room the mid or highs (BAs) to present themselves appropriately OR they will play it way too safe and have the dynamic drive very weak and underwhelming leaving for an overly bright IEM that assaults your ear.

I find that 2, 3, or 4 (or more) balanced armature driver IEMs to have more cohesive sound than dynamic drivers as well as lower levels of distortion and etc.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #178 of 236
  The key issue I've come across with hybrid IEMs is that they seem to be impossible to tune correctly.
Either the dynamic driver is tuned for overpowering bass leaving very little room the mid or highs (BAs) to present themselves appropriately OR they will play it way too safe and have the dynamic drive very weak and underwhelming leaving for an overly bright IEM that assaults your ear.

I find that 2, 3, or 4 (or more) balanced armature driver IEMs to have more cohesive sound than dynamic drivers as well as lower levels of distortion and etc.

Deltas and A83 are a couple of the better ones in my opinion. Though I'll still say that to my ears, they are both slightly v-shaped. Neither provide overpowering bass for me (well unless you put the silver filters on the Delta which is specifically for bass anyway). I'm perfectly happy with a slightly v-shaped sound signature. One can go for balance and my Supra 2 ( dual BA) does a great job of that, but for my tastes, the bass is lacking in quantity. And something about a well-tuned dynamic just makes for fuller and more involving bass, which doesn't necessarily need to be overwhelming in order to achieve that. My 1964 Ears Qi (quad BA) is also extremely capable and brings the extra bass quantity that I like over the Supra 2, but its bass still doesn't quite hit the spot like that of the A83. Bottom line, I really like a hybrid setup and think it can do just as well as multi-BA setups, sometimes better depending on what qualities you're looking for in an IEM.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #179 of 236
Fair enough.
I personally value neutrality over warmth or bightness(?) and so I really like the Westone signature line of IEMs but I understand where you're coming from.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #180 of 236
  Fair enough.
I personally value neutrality over warmth or bightness(?) and so I really like the Westone signature line of IEMs but I understand where you're coming from.

As do I understand where you're coming from. I haven't yet tried a hybrid that I'd call neutral so I can see how they don't quite strike your fancy. Actually, not even all of Westone's lineup are neutral type IEMs. From what I've read (as I unfortunately haven't gotten a chance to listen to anything other than the Westone 1), the W30 and W40 tend to be a slight darkness and warmth to them, though they are very smooth. I've read the UM3X fits the bit though. Haven't read up much on the the UM Pro series. The Pro and W lines are actually separate lines and not just iterations of models right? I should try to get my hands on a set one day to see how they stack up with my hybrids and other BA IEMs.

If you'd like an IEM that fits that sort of signature that also looks like a custom without being a custom (you know, for resale value and whatnot, plus your friends can try them), then I'd certainly recommend the Earwerkz Supra 2. They're changing their name though soon to Empire Ears, just FYI. The Supra 2 is a dual BA and my current benchmark for neutrality. Neutral isn't always my thing since it doesn't make the music lively enough in most cases, but I've really liked the Supra 2 for some reason. It's just a really good IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back