The Hybrid IEM Thread... The Best of Both Worlds?
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 236

gnarlsagan

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately there has been a lot of hype surrounding recent and upcoming hybrid IEMs, that is, IEMs with both dynamic and balanced armature drivers. Some say that this mix of both technologies can result in the ultimate hi-fi experience with a perfect balance between deep dynamic bass and timbre, and shimmering treble and resolution.

The biggest splash into this curious new realm is the recent uber-expensive AKG K3003, but there have apparently been quite a few others already released, with more looming large on the horizon (ahem GR08... ASG-2).

Until now, information on these hybrids has been scattered throughout head-fi, but no longer! Here in this thread I will attempt to keep consolidated a list of current hybrids and links to info/reviews about them. Feel free to add to this list:

AKG K3003
msrp: $1299
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Review by |joker| (scroll down)
 ​
 ​
 ​
Atomic Floyd Superdarts
msrp: $309
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Audiofly AF78
msrp: $199
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Scosche IEM856
msrp: $249.99
 ​
 ​
No Current Head-Fi Reviews
(Impressions anyone?)
 ​
 ​
 ​
UE Super.fi 5 EB 
msrp: $399 (?)​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
T-Peos H-100
msrp: ~$190​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Ultrasone IQ
msrp: $949​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
And Coming Soon...
 ​
 ​
 ​
Vsonic GR08
 ​
 ​
 ​
Aurisonics ASG-2
msrp: $499
(No this isn't the official picture...)​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 236
This post will be dedicated to custom hybrid IEMs. Here we go...

Unique Melody Merlin
msrp: $799
 ​
Appreciation/Info Thread (lots of reviews/impressions in first post)
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Thousand Sound TS842
msrp: $515
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Rooth LS-X5
msrp: $876
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Earpower EP-10 Plus
msrp: $920
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Aurisonics AS-2
msrp: $799
(photo courtesy of kenman345)
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Tralucent Audio 1Plus2
msrp: $880 (with cable)
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Cosmic Ears HY3XB
msrp: $297
Image courtesy of Swimsonny​
 ​

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 236
Yes I think you should have hybrid customs for the second post. Here is the Merlin appreciation thread. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 236
popcorn.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 236
AKG K3003 review by |joker| added. Guys what are some more hybrid customs? 

edit: UM Merlin added to second post.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 236
Quote:
AKG K3003 review by |joker| added. Guys what are some more hybrid customs? 

edit: UM Merlin added to second post.

Thousand Sound TS842, Rooth LS-X5, Earpower EP-10 Plus

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 236
I'm very interested in Hybrid IEM''s as I enjoy the bass of dynamic drivers and crisp mids highs of BA. 

I shall keep close eye on this thread. !

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 236
Quote:
Cool thread, can you please add more info on pros and cons of Hybrid technology.
Also hybrids which are tuned for personal preference.

To find that out i guess you will have to look at individual reviews. I have to say from the looks of things they are all very different so pros and cons for the technology as a whole would be hit and miss.

Anyway two threads that should be featured are yours or MuZo2s and LMJ243s DIY Home-Made Customs and i think it is a great set up that MuZo2 has used, i had always thought that would be great when the only two IEMs that were good i had tried were IE8 and DBA-02 ( i still think would be good) and i love the crazy big and unique design that LMJ243 has used so kudos to both of them.

MuZo2's thread is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616728/ciem-digital-manufacturing-hybrid-iem

And LMJ243's

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616643/my-virgin-home-made-iem-quad-drivers-1-dynamic-driver-3-balanced-armature-come-with-frequency-seperation-circuit

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 236
Quote:
To find that out i guess you will have to look at individual reviews. I have to say from the looks of things they are all very different so pros and cons for the technology as a whole would be hit and miss.

I will quote joker and which I also found while designing my hybrid iem and exactly one of the things which solved it.

As expected, there is a slight coherence issue with the hybrid BA-dynamic system, stemming largely from the difference in note presentation between the drivers. The dynamic driver has greater note thickness and generally sounds softer and less crisp. It is helped greatly by the excellent dynamics but the armatures handling the midrange and treble are still more detailed and resolving – an audible disconnect with some tracks. The Bass Boost filters, which tone down the upper midrange and lower treble, make this less obvious to my ears but the coherence isn’t problematic enough to justify using them.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #15 of 236
Quote:

I will quote joker and which I also found while designing my hybrid iem and exactly one of the things which solved it.

As expected, there is a slight coherence issue with the hybrid BA-dynamic system, stemming largely from the difference in note presentation between the drivers. The dynamic driver has greater note thickness and generally sounds softer and less crisp. It is helped greatly by the excellent dynamics but the armatures handling the midrange and treble are still more detailed and resolving – an audible disconnect with some tracks. The Bass Boost filters, which tone down the upper midrange and lower treble, make this less obvious to my ears but the coherence isn’t problematic enough to justify using them.

Well when reviewing the Audiofly AF78 the biggest problem i found was perhaps that but i put it down to a poor cross-over but you can easily tell were the dynamic driver stops and the BA kicks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back