The Hybrid IEM Thread... The Best of Both Worlds?
Nov 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #211 of 236

FLC 8S is a hidden gem created by an industry vet who's worked at Harman & UE. It's easily one of the best IEM I've heard in 2015. Technical yet highly musical. L/M/H tuning for sub-bass, bass, mids, and treble to get the sound just right for you. Deserves much more recognition!

And the owner, Forrest, just joined us on the FLC 8/8S thread (LINK). Nice when we get direct support from the owner!

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #212 of 236
Somebody:  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795771/trinity-delta-hybrid-iem-1-dynamic-1-ba-gold-filter-1st-version-lnib

wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #213 of 236
Apologies in advance for not putting this in the recommendation thread but I wanted to ask people who were familiar with hybrids. I'm going to get a new IEMs in the 200-300 range. Is it worth the extra price for hybrid over non-hybrid IEMs? Especially if focus was on soundstage and being able to enjoy full range of music from bass heavy stuff + highs and lows that hybrids provide?

May 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #217 of 236
In that case, i'm ask about XBA H, A, Z. Because it's call "sony hybrid driver system". But how it's differ from other hybrid.

My understanding might be a little wrong though I'm sure someone will correct me, but XBA-H is an older iteration, XBA-A and XBA-Z are the newer ones. That's not to say the XBA-H is supposed to be cheaper than XBA-A, but they're supposedly using slightly different drivers and internal housing structure. They are all hybrids and they differ from others mostly in marketing-speak. The core basis is still the same in that there's one dynamic driver coupled with one or more balance armatures. It all just depends on what types of driver material and how they tune the drivers to sound that makes the most difference.

If you're looking for a simple answer, every IEM in the Sony XBA-H/A/Z lines are hybrid IEMs.

May 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #218 of 236
Apologies in advance for not putting this in the recommendation thread but I wanted to ask people who were familiar with hybrids. I'm going to get a new IEMs in the 200-300 range. Is it worth the extra price for hybrid over non-hybrid IEMs? Especially if focus was on soundstage and being able to enjoy full range of music from bass heavy stuff + highs and lows that hybrids provide?

From what I know, hybrids don't "cost more" than dynamic or balanced armature iems. Hybrids can range from extremely cheap (their are tonnes of super cheap China hybrids) to extremely expensive. And if the focus is on soundstage and good bass + good highs, hybrids would be perfect. I would say they are for people who find balanced armatures too analytical and unlively , and dynamic drivers having not enough detail and clarity.
If you're looking for soundstage and good bass and highs, the Sony xba A3 would be perfect for your price range. It has a super massive 3d soundstage comparable to closed headphones, very very good textured bass with awesome subbass rumble and sparkly highs. It has a very fun sound signature, however comfort may be an issue due to their large size.

May 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #219 of 236

If you want to try a nice hybrid in the $200-$300 range I will recommend Dunu DN-1000 for your preferences.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #221 of 236
Folks, I'm hoping you can help me narrow down my short-list of hybrid IEMs to a single one for purchase.  I'm also not adverse to considering others not on my list (see criteria below):

* Dunu DN-2002
* Flc 8s
* Oriveti Primacy
* IBasso Audio IT03
* Sony XBA (either A2 or H3)

About me:
I consider myself a 'casual audiophile' in that I like crystal clarity when listening to music, and don't mind paying a bit more than the average person for it - as long as the equipment lasts.  My (only) previous IEM was a (pre-Logitech) Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro that lasted 9 years until the left unit died recently.  My (current) musical taste is mostly electronic (psytrance, ambient), but I also frequently listen to jazz, funk, and sometimes classical.  Over my life, I've also had blues, rock, folk, and jam 'phases,' and have an extensive collection of (FLAC) music across genres.

My criteria:
The SuperFi impressed me, but all I had exposure to previously were cheap earbuds.  However one thing that I was not impressed with was the lack of bass.  I've since learned that's a limitation of the balanced armature driver, and why I'm interested in hybrids.  Apologies for the lack of proper audiophile vocabulary to explain myself (such as 'soundstage' and such), but I will take a stab anyway.  'Muddy' bass does not sound like something I'm after, and I like a clearly defined thump of mid-bass.  However I must say that the rolling chesty rumble of a deep sub-bass on the right track is pretty freakin' awesome, too.  But this doesn't mean I don't like a very clear treble end as well, with 'crisp and clear without being harsh' being the best way I can describe my taste there.  Put these two together, and I suppose it means the 'V' shape I've read in comments so often concerning hybrids.  That's where I suppose my broad taste across genres becomes a problem, because whereas the V might be fine in much electronic music, mid-vocals in rock or jazz (or even psytrance) tracks can simply get hidden away.  I'd like to have a way to prevent that if possible.

Finally, reliability is a big thing with me in whatever I buy.  Nine years on the SuperFi's is quite acceptable; and I kept my old Nissan truck for 15 (and still sold it for $3k, although the sound system was probably worth 1/2 that alone).  So unless I made a mistake, every model above has replaceable cables (I did change the SuperFi cables about 4-5 times in that 9 years).  But except for Sony, I know nothing about the other companies above.  I would prefer buying from a company that has been around a while, has made IEMs for a while, and supports its products through interventionist customer service and long-term warranties.

There is a lot of knowledge on this site, and I am really hoping that I can get comparitive feedback concerning the sound quality of these selections, especially relative to my criteria above.  Plus maybe some information on the reliability of the products, or at least of the companies selling them.

Thank you in advance.

Jon

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #222 of 236
Folks, I'm hoping you can help me narrow down my short-list of hybrid IEMs to a single one for purchase.  I'm also not adverse to considering others not on my list (see criteria below):

* Dunu DN-2002
* Flc 8s
* Oriveti Primacy
* IBasso Audio IT03

About me:
I consider myself a 'casual audiophile' in that I like crystal clarity when listening to music, and don't mind paying a bit more than the average person for it - as long as the equipment lasts.  My (only) previous IEM was a (pre-Logitech) Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro that lasted 9 years until the left unit died recently.  My (current) musical taste is mostly electronic (psytrance, ambient), but I also frequently listen to jazz, funk, and sometimes classical.  Over my life, I've also had blues, rock, folk, and jam 'phases,' and have an extensive collection of (FLAC) music across genres.

My criteria:
The SuperFi impressed me, but all I had exposure to previously were cheap earbuds.  However one thing that I was not impressed with was the lack of bass.  I've since learned that's a limitation of the balanced armature driver, and why I'm interested in hybrids.  Apologies for the lack of proper audiophile vocabulary to explain myself (such as 'soundstage' and such), but I will take a stab anyway.  'Muddy' bass does not sound like something I'm after, and I like a clearly defined thump of mid-bass.  However I must say that the rolling chesty rumble of a deep sub-bass on the right track is pretty freakin' awesome, too.  But this doesn't mean I don't like a very clear treble end as well, with 'crisp and clear without being harsh' being the best way I can describe my taste there.  Put these two together, and I suppose it means the 'V' shape I've read in comments so often concerning hybrids.  That's where I suppose my broad taste across genres becomes a problem, because whereas the V might be fine in much electronic music, mid-vocals in rock or jazz (or even psytrance) tracks can simply get hidden away.  I'd like to have a way to prevent that if possible.

Finally, reliability is a big thing with me in whatever I buy.  Nine years on the SuperFi's is quite acceptable; and I kept my old Nissan truck for 15 (and still sold it for $3k, although the sound system was probably worth 1/2 that alone).  So unless I made a mistake, every model above has replaceable cables (I did change the SuperFi cables about 4-5 times in that 9 years).  But except for Sony, I know nothing about the other companies above.  I would prefer buying from a company that has been around a while, has made IEMs for a while, and supports its products through interventionist customer service and long-term warranties.

There is a lot of knowledge on this site, and I am really hoping that I can get comparitive feedback concerning the sound quality of these selections, especially relative to my criteria above.  Plus maybe some information on the reliability of the products, or at least of the companies selling them.

Thank you in advance.

Jon

Try Sony xba n1ap. Its an improved version of xba a3. It has tonnes of bass and sub bass. The restyou mentioned in this list have bass, but not as much as the sonys. You can check out my post for a mini review of it

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #223 of 236

* Dunu DN-2002
* Flc 8s
* Oriveti Primacy
* IBasso Audio IT03

About me:

My criteria:

Thank you in advance.

Jon

just get the flc 8s. it can easily compete with 1000usd IEMs, and easily trumps all the other iems from what ive been told.

it has insane clarity, separation and a good bass kick as well, which should be enough for you as long as you're not the guy who likes bass covering the whole presentation and muddying the mids and the treble.

the flc 8s comes with 36 tunable settings, changing it from a bass monster, to a treble monster. to a mid-focused iem. the flc 8s' versatility should fit your wide range of music easily. just change the tuning to your mood or choice of music!

not to mention, the flc 8s also uses the ue triple fi 10 2 pin replaceable cables, and is really well made and sturdy, having a small body at the same time. LMUE(vendor) has really good customer service, or you can just send your iems to forrestwei to fix.

it also has crazily good reviews too!

golden ear:
https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmkNjT9uDPAhVJLY8KHbrqD1YQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golden-ear.net%2Fsingle-post%2F2016%2F1%2F7%2FThe-Amazing-FLC8S-Sonic-Bliss-Under-400%25E2%2582%25AC&usg=AFQjCNED51Xk6L5vZ3fOFtzAYVe-E8Bl0A

https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmkNjT9uDPAhVJLY8KHbrqD1YQFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golden-ear.net%2Fsingle-post%2F2016%2F1%2F8%2FFLC8S-An-Undiscovered-Gem&usg=AFQjCNG0wKBfnTwsGjPr6Rl_pi0K6XZ4BQ

theheadphonelist

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/

(the flc 8 is sounds the same with flc 8s, but the flc8s has better build quality)

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #225 of 236
just get the flc 8s. it can easily compete with 1000usd IEMs, and easily trumps all the other iems from what ive been told.

it has insane clarity, separation and a good bass kick as well, which should be enough for you as long as you're not the guy who likes bass covering the whole presentation and muddying the mids and the treble.

the flc 8s comes with 36 tunable settings, changing it from a bass monster, to a treble monster. to a mid-focused iem. the flc 8s' versatility should fit your wide range of music easily. just change the tuning to your mood or choice of music!

not to mention, the flc 8s also uses the ue triple fi 10 2 pin replaceable cables, and is really well made and sturdy, having a small body at the same time. LMUE(vendor) has really good customer service, or you can just send your iems to forrestwei to fix.

it also has crazily good reviews too!

golden ear:
https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmkNjT9uDPAhVJLY8KHbrqD1YQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golden-ear.net%2Fsingle-post%2F2016%2F1%2F7%2FThe-Amazing-FLC8S-Sonic-Bliss-Under-400%25E2%2582%25AC&usg=AFQjCNED51Xk6L5vZ3fOFtzAYVe-E8Bl0A

https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmkNjT9uDPAhVJLY8KHbrqD1YQFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golden-ear.net%2Fsingle-post%2F2016%2F1%2F8%2FFLC8S-An-Undiscovered-Gem&usg=AFQjCNG0wKBfnTwsGjPr6Rl_pi0K6XZ4BQ

theheadphonelist

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/

(the flc 8 is sounds the same with flc 8s, but the flc8s has better build quality)

I feel that your statement about the flcs competing with 1k USD items an exaggeration. I've heard it ,it's great but I feel its not comparable in sound quality to totl earphones. It certainly does not trump the other items mentioned, to me they all play on the same league. I heard all of them but the primacy btw. I feel dunu and ibasso have better clarity as they are more transparent, they are also faster and more detailed. Ultimately I feel that it all boils down to personal preferences, and since the op likes bass, Sony should be the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back