The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,291 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those reasons I went back to the regular bowls lately.

Horses for courses, the HF2 is a versatile headphone, different pad different sound. The choice of pad depends on what kind of music being listen to. I like having the option to change pads to suit the music i listen to without buying another headphone....

beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #1,292 of 1,528
I did try the jumbos for a while, with the "chux wipe" mod but gave up and went back to bowls after i felt fatigued. I re-terminated mine balanced too, which made them more fun on my rig so they are my listening choice at the moment until my ears feel tired.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #1,294 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dare I say, impressions please?
biggrin.gif

Had only listened two song for a fast impression.

Rainbow - Stargazer (sounds really great - better than my PRO 900)

Beethoven - Kreutzer Sonata Mov I (no soundstage at all imo, far better with the PRO 900)

But i need more listening and more burning. This is also the first grado headphone for me, and i haven't listened any headphone other than those in my signature (Except for the HD800 for only 5 mins). So take it as a noob impression
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #1,296 of 1,528
Well, i am just thinking about to purchase the jumbo pads for the HF-2. Do they get really more comfortable ?

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #1,297 of 1,528
Yeah. Comfort improves dramatically! I think it is worth the slight change in SQ to get more comfort. However it is you who has to decide.

As for me I like it.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #1,299 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Comfort improves dramatically! I think it is worth the slight change in SQ to get more comfort. However it is you who has to decide.

As for me I like it.

Squishing the jumbos a bit also helps the sound quite a lot. I put my pair between 2 physics textbooks (nice and heavy, works wonderfully) for a couple days, and it does bring the drivers closer to your ears by a little bit, and makes all the difference in the world. Comfort, of course, is top notch with them.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,300 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Squishing the jumbos a bit also helps the sound quite a lot. I put my pair between 2 physics textbooks (nice and heavy, works wonderfully) for a couple days, and it does bring the drivers closer to your ears by a little bit, and makes all the difference in the world. Comfort, of course, is top notch with them.

That's what I've been curious about for the last couple of weeks after getting used to the jumbo pads. I wonder how I might possible "shave" about 3/16 of an inch off the face of these jumbos without making a mess. While listening, I push the drivers closer to my ears a wee bit and have found the midrange and bass improvement to be worth the endeavor. Anyone have any suggestions?

Modifying the jumbos in this manner would still give me the comfort I've come to appreciate with larger pads while producing an SQ somewhere in between the bowls and jumbos. That'd be perfect.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #1,301 of 1,528
Somebody did it and started a current thread - but his result looked raggy to me. I'd also thought of it ages ago but was afraid the an "amateur-looking" result. Never came up with a way to do it that would prompt risking a pair of them.
I never asked Larry (Headphile) if he could come up with a way to do it - maybe I (or someone else) will remember the next time we exhange emails.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #1,302 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody did it and started a current thread - but his result looked raggy to me. I'd also thought of it ages ago but was afraid the an "amateur-looking" result. Never came up with a way to do it that would prompt risking a pair of them.
I never asked Larry (Headphile) if he could come up with a way to do it - maybe I (or someone else) will remember the next time we exhange emails.

Yes...as much as I disdain an obsessive vanity with regard to cosmetics, a ragged looking cut on the pads would drive even me beyond principles to the point of not using them. I'm currently looking around for a possible solution with a "hot wire" cutter. Maybe using a rotating jig to control the evenness and depth of the cut. I'll let you know if it ever comes to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back