The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Nov 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,261 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be happy to leave you and your wallet alone WITHOUT your having to recable and balance the HF2's. Just having a little fun.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

As you give both of the phones you are trying to decide between some ear time (with the goal in mind of balancing the books), it will become clear to you what to keep and what to sell. The trick is to follow your own ear and financial judgement and to ignore the posts of others who have no stake in your rig or finances. My best to you.

I know, im having fun too, I was referring to the devil on my shoulder (that you professed to be) rather than you personally
regular_smile .gif

Good advice though!

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,264 of 1,528
I think I havn't read something about
how the HF-2 with jumbo pads, does compare to the GS1000(i) (or PS1000).
Has anyone some impressions?
Thanks

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #1,265 of 1,528
Check on the first post of this thread. That is why I did it...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #1,266 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the HF2 compare to the MS1 as far as accuracy in tone? I just returned a set of RS2is because the MS1's did a better job at electric guitar tone/body.

More accurate. A/B'ing between the two of them, there is really no comparison. The HF-2's are better in every way. First pair of headphones I've ever owned that didn't have me wanting 'more'. Completely satisfied off of my Gilmore. Now if I could just take them off long enough to get a good night's rest!
happy_face1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #1,267 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More accurate. A/B'ing between the two of them, there is really no comparison. The HF-2's are better in every way. First pair of headphones I've ever owned that didn't have me wanting 'more'. Completely satisfied off of my Gilmore. Now if I could just take them off long enough to get a good night's rest!
happy_face1.gif

Let me emphasize that comment: I just recently compared the new MS-1's I bought to my HF-2's and I'll say the HF-2's do sound ever so slightly bloated in the bass by comparison (simply because they have about three times as much), however, I welcome the extra bass, personally... it's what makes the music sound good! The HF-2's really do sound like $500 compared to the $100 MS-1's and I think they're almost perfect in terms of balance.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #1,268 of 1,528
I was worried about the bass being a bit too boomy, so opted for the Gilmore Lite, which is a touch bright to compensate. That said, I wish all Grados had the bass in terms of the quantity that the HF-2 has. They are surreal. A/B'ing them to my SRH-840's - let's just say it was night and day. So much more going on in the HF-2's, with natural convincing tones that simply sounded more authentic and "tactile". I could basically reach out with my ears and embrace whatever detail I fancied. Basically a perfect synthesis of tone, texture, rhythm and their dynamic interplay. Makes me kinda wispy to recall... I love music so much through them. Thank you, HF-2's!

Yes, wife. I am a "headphone nerd".

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #1,269 of 1,528
.............."with natural convincing tones that simply sounded more authentic and "tactile"." I couldn't agree more. While you say your ears reach out ------detail, my reaction is quite different. I've felt my body become totally relaxed.....all of my muscles become flacid within seconds - total relaxation pervades the scene. There is no doubt in my mind these drivers are the best that John has ever produced. That is why I decided to jump in and have one pair converted to Vixens. Again, being so happy with the result (a night and day v. good difference from the original form - I sent another pair in for conversion).
Another facet of their goodness - the amount of bass is spot on .....not too much, and not too little. A point about the converted pair(s) is the new soundstage makes that of RS-1 seem simply tiny. But, I'm also keeping my RS-1 for those recordings that may have been sung/played in a downstairs jazz club setting.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #1,270 of 1,528
I agree, BushGuy. The HF-2's don't exhaust me, endlessly picking through detail, like I'd expect an analytical pair of K701's to do. Instead, you can just bask in it all - take it all in at your leisure. Turning your attention to each individual portion of the spectrum is done so with ease. I no longer get that pang of consternation when I am trying to casually concentrate on passages of information-rich music. And all the endless layers of detail that I missed before! It's like going from a grainy TV set to a movie screen. The story may remain the same, but it now conveys and means so much more!

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #1,271 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check on the first post of this thread. That is why I did it...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks.
I missed to look again at the first post....

Nov 28, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #1,273 of 1,528
I find that they handle it in somewhat typical Grado fashion. Fun but a bit congested. Kind of like a hot date with a little bit of a cold.

But the HF2 isn't as shrill to my ears as most other Grados. The lack of splash lessens the sense of congestion I perceive in comparison to in-production Grados (except for the PS1000, which I have not heard). So I think they will improve upon your MS1, but you'll still notice it a bit.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #1,275 of 1,528
I haven't listened to my HF-2's for a while as I've been preoccupied with IEMs of late. So I thought I'd plug them straight into my ipod. Goodness me. I almost feel the need to flagellate for neglecting these beauties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back