The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #1,306 of 1,528
Does anyone have these paired with a Little Dot 1+? Also after almost 2 months, I am loving these
smily_headphones1.gif
They are so addicting to listen to and there is nothing wrong with the comfort. They sound brilliant with pop and rock as people have said before
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #1,307 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair due today or tomorrow, can't wait to compair to my favorite HP's ever (woody MS1's.)

Heh. My pre-owned HF-2s are due today
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #1,308 of 1,528
I've been at this quality headphone game 5 years now. Tried many, I think these are the ones. They just get the electric guitar better than any others I've tried including the RS2i's. Would love to compare them to the MS-Pros but I think I am am stopping with these.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,310 of 1,528
I don't understand why ppl are still trying to get an unbalanced headphone to sound balanced. All that trimming, squishing, washing, pushing, squeezing of the jumbo, bowl, comfy, wood, iron, carbon, wool, gym socks, used underwear pads will just make the Grado's flaws less obvious.

All current-production Grados are unbalanced/unnatural (overemphasized). They sound great with certain music and not others. Just accept the fact and move on.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,312 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I have abnormally sensitive high frequency hearing up to the 23khz range... I hear like a 5 year old).

Damn, you had yur ears tested at 5, unfortunately I had tubes put in mine. Seriously, do you have an audiologist w/ a machine that can go 20+K? My audiologist can only do up to 18k, most test machines only go to 8k. I still got hearing just beyond 16K.

ANyway, good review. I like my HF-1's enough, it's what I can afford.

Cheers.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #1,313 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why ppl are still trying to get an unbalanced headphone to sound balanced. All that trimming, squishing, washing, pushing, squeezing of the jumbo, bowl, comfy, wood, iron, carbon, wool, gym socks, used underwear pads will just make the Grado's flaws less obvious.

All current-production Grados are unbalanced/unnatural (overemphasized). They sound great with certain music and not others. Just accept the fact and move on.

I tend to agree with you but haven't you been around here long enough to know that you can't reason with obsessive compulsives?

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,314 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Shaka Laka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, you had yur ears tested at 5, unfortunately I had tubes put in mine. Seriously, do you have an audiologist w/ a machine that can go 20+K? My audiologist can only do up to 18k, most test machines only go to 8k. I still got hearing just beyond 16K.

ANyway, good review. I like my HF-1's enough, it's what I can afford.

Cheers.

16kHz is my max. I'm 21. How crap is that! I used to hear so much but that's what a year or two of clubbing and concerts do to your ears kiddies!

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #1,315 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best sound I'm getting with my new HF-2's is with 414 quarter mod not reversed. Haven't tried flats, should I?

Flats may be a bit too bassy with the HF-2's. Wow... so you "finally" moved up to the HF-2's after being clearly impressed with the MS-1i woodies. What's the verdict when both are compared?

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #1,316 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flats may be a bit too bassy with the HF-2's. Wow... so you "finally" moved up to the HF-2's after being clearly impressed with the MS-1i woodies. What's the verdict when both are compared?

You know I can't decide yet, the HF-2's clearly do the bass and guitar better but there was a little distance to them with comfies (senn type sound). However with quarter modded 414's the distance goes away. The two phones are very close and I need to do more direct comparison. My plan was to sell the wooden MS1's but being this close I'm not sure. Usually I can pick the better headphone in about 2 seconds of listening to Jerry Garcia, but this is a close call. When I bought the RS2is it was immediately obvious that the guitar tone was inaccurate compared to the MS1s.

As far as congestion in complex passages the HF2's walk all over the wooden MS1's. Thats gone with the HF2s.

I notice the HF2s a little too quick drop of on the guitar strings plucks like the metal cups are cutting the natural reverb a little short (just guessing). I'm wondering what the HF-2s would sound like with wooden cups. Has anyone made H-HF2's like folks did with the HF1-s ?

'

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #1,317 of 1,528
Well, yes it has been done (albeit on steroids) and is a success. I have a pair of v.2 Vixen (Headphile). The HF2 drivers are directly glued to a Rosewood mounting, which in turn, mounts on a piece of Fir. All of this brings the driver optimally close to the ear, yet allows the driver to fit into an open Beyer shell. I opted for a solid Copper cabling. The result is a much larger stage and it removes the metalic tinge of the metal cups..........and, oh yeah, great comfort.
While doing all of this gets expensive - it still comes out cheaper than a couple of the new standard models that burst onto the market this year.......but, then, I made some choices that were most costly than absolutely necessary. You are, however, starting from a base that cost you $429. IMO it was well worth doing.........if only I had the nerve to ask Joe Grado for a pair of HIS HP1000 drivers to use for another pair.....

5.jpg

I should mention one other point. A learned lesson was that there should not be anything close to the driver opening towards the ear - any foam should kept well away from the original Grado screening..........in fact, mine have NO foam at all - just the std Beyer dt770 or 990 Velour earpads and the bare wood of the mounting system. Foam is injurious to the sound.........it makes me want to mod the flats used on my RS-1.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #1,318 of 1,528
wow..this is a long,but interesting thread, didn't read it all though.
I have rs1 and i simply amazed by them every time i listen to them for the last year and a half i own them. I am a huge grado fan (or at least rs1 fan) but i didn't try any other grados. lately i thought of getting a ps1000 as an option for improving upon the rs1. but they cost a lot, and i simply don't have the money and still can't justify this price.
it sounds like the hf2 will be a good companion for the rs1. from the impressions i got from this thread, they have more bass,less treble energy, and it sound good to me, exactly the change i am looking for in the rs1. maybe i could use the HF2 with my headroom amp, the RS1 is too bright with it so i am using them with the earmax pro to warm them up.
again..I looove the RS1 farward mids and all, but i am really interested in trying another grado headphone.

how much do they cost? are they available new?
what dd you guys think...should i get them?

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #1,319 of 1,528
Yes, you should have gotten them. They are a limited addition and were sold out a couple of months ago. With standard shipping they cost us $429.00 and can be found at a slight premium used. Myself, I was able to get more than one pair and having them modded as above.....additionally, I will be keeping my RS-1/flats. Found HF-2 were best with their orig. equipment Bowls.
I view my RS-1 as best for re-creating a basement jazz club with the female jazz artists.....and HF-2 better for anything else - so they are good companions. OTOH my decided preference is the modding as above post. Be aware. also, I also like my Darth 600ohm variations. Totally differing flavours, but all good.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #1,320 of 1,528
thanks. so getting the HF2 is staying in the same league as the RS1 only with a different flavour? what other options except the HF2 would you suggest in order to stay in that level of performance (RS1,HF2) ?
I also looked at the PS1 and it is also expensive..maybe less than the ps1000 but still too expensive. the lower grado models (125,225,325) don't atract me so much but i hope I am not missing something there and being misleaded by the low cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back