The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #541 of 19,652
I do hope they will have a flat sound signature. The ones who want to color can use their amps and headphones 
tongue.gif

Anyway, last word belongs to James. 

X5! :D

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #542 of 19,652
Just a thought James, as I think this hasn't been mentioned before, concerning X5's aesthetics.
People here gave you many suggestions concerning the actual "inside" of the player, many more that I could think of
biggrin.gif

One thing but: I figure Jonathan Ive did (does) a brilliant job at Apple in maximazing not only UI but also the connection between function and appearance in Apple products and I think your "top of the line" DAP would benefit enormously from well thought of and endearing looks....I don't know what others think about it.....

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #543 of 19,652
We ran out of speculation and wishes for the X5:D

Of course there is the PNP USB port able to read directly from a portable drive wish:wink:

^ That would be nice but X5's USB port (assumig there is one) is probably more for charging and syncing. James Fiio said a few post back that X5 will have digital out, line out, headphone out and dual microSD slots, which would be all the inputs and outputs of X5. I think that James did not consider USB port an input/output port.

I would love DLNA/wifi or 2.5" SATA/mSATA SSD (500GB-1TB portable storage) for the future Fiio portable DAP. But those are just my dreams (probably a looooong shot), not a requirement or request.

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #544 of 19,652
James has a point on simplicity and fuctioning properly. If you look at the current high end daps, they are all coming with their disadvantages and you have to accept it. Look at ibasso DX100, legendary sound, horrible UI, not user friendly, crappy battery life. AK1X0 has it is own disadvantages like users keep on having problems (check their threads) and their output impedances. I mean, something that should work smoothly, just simply doesn't. Hifiman series 801/901 have also horrible problems too. Their battery life is crappy and if you look at the 901, there are already build quality issues (esp. wheel) and the device getting hot etc etc. I mean there are so many examples we all know I don't have to write.

Somehow, building a dap which sounds very good is not the only solution. It is the most important factor but user experiences are not limited with that. If I become frustrated every time I try to change song, view folders, adjust volume, it is simply not going to work no matter how good is the sound. That's one of the reasons iFruit devices become so popular (apart from the fact that having one of them makes you 'cool' or at least some feels like that). Apple devices have nice user friendly systems and functions perfectly without making you frustrated. Long years I used several ipods and using them were easy and simple (though sound was.. well.. let's basicly say not good).

In here, James seems like, he will take positive sides of the successful players and remove negative sides of them, adds unique FiiO touch and use their own methods instead of copying already found ones. Also all these things come in a very nice price range unlike greedy iFollowRivers.

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #545 of 19,652
James as you can see the community wants uncolored dap which functions perfectly and user friendly. I hope you are reading 
rolleyes.gif

Just kidding, we all know you are a great guy and always consider customers ideas and suggestions.

...aaaaaand the game breaker is coming, high end sound quality and 24/192 playback, incredibly user friendly and functioning properly. Also won't burn your wallets down either 
biggrin.gif

X3 price x 2 is more than okay for me honestly.

An uncolored dap would be best..imho the headphones should be doing the coloring.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #547 of 19,652
Quote:
(...) Hifiman series 801/901 have also horrible problems too. Their battery life is crappy and if you look at the 901, there are already build quality issues (esp. wheel) and the device getting hot etc etc. (...)

The wheel issue was in the first batch or two and has been solved: They use another part now which has a good track record.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #548 of 19,652
Quote:
The wheel issue was in the first batch or two and has been solved: They use another part now which has a good track record.

Well, good for both Hifiman and customers then, it is indeed nice news.

Additionally, I didn't mean to behave or sound disrespectful to any of the producers. It is more like, accepting pros and cons and we have to decide our priorities and choose. That's why I am still keeping my hands out of DX100 for example.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #549 of 19,652
We agree about pros and cons. To me there is also a few things keeping me away of DX100.
Regarding X5 we simply have to wait and see how it performs when it's on the market and people report how it sounds and works compared to this or that DAP.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #550 of 19,652
Quote:
Just a thought James, as I think this hasn't been mentioned before, concerning X5's aesthetics.
People here gave you many suggestions concerning the actual "inside" of the player, many more that I could think of
biggrin.gif

One thing but: I figure Jonathan Ive did (does) a brilliant job at Apple in maximazing not only UI but also the connection between function and appearance in Apple products and I think your "top of the line" DAP would benefit enormously from well thought of and endearing looks....I don't know what others think about it.....

I agree, apple products have wonderful design. I'd say the have the best looking dap, along with the AK100. You'll also notice that these two DAPs that have their own setbacks, that when taken in an audiophile context, become major issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love aesthetics, maybe even in OCD terriorty--I've spend countless hours tagging all of my music with correct art, which can sometimes mean scanning the covers myself, and doing color correction. But at this point, SQ and UI are the most pressing concerns, just because no company has really delivered on these as a pair.

So in short, I agree that elegant aesthetics would be lovely, but no so lovely if the UI is loopy. (I'm not too concerned about SQ--we all know of Fiio's impressive track record in the SQ/Price ratio).

So I think what we should do, is ask James for a good lookin' player, but very humbly, because he has done an incredible amount for us, much more than I've every seen in any company.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #551 of 19,652
I agree, apple products have wonderful design. I'd say the have the best looking dap, along with the AK100. You'll also notice that these two DAPs that have their own setbacks, that when taken in an audiophile context, become major issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love aesthetics, maybe even in OCD terriorty--I've spend countless hours tagging all of my music with correct art, which can sometimes mean scanning the covers myself, and doing color correction. But at this point, SQ and UI are the most pressing concerns, just because no company has really delivered on these as a pair.

So in short, I agree that elegant aesthetics would be lovely, but no so lovely if the UI is loopy. (I'm not too concerned about SQ--we all know of Fiio's impressive track record in the SQ/Price ratio).

So I think what we should do, is ask James for a good lookin' player, but very humbly, because he has done an incredible amount for us, much more than I've every seen in any company.

The closest thing to delivering both for me would be the AK120 and hence it got my money.... Apple would actually be in prime position to delivery on both AND price, but sadly the "audiophile DAP" market is simply too small to get them interested. Well I'm having high hops for X5! Please make it pretty! Please!!!

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #552 of 19,652
I would suggest if the Pre-production units of X5 are available now, then send them to respected & experienece senior headfiers such as ClieOS to review.

So that James (Fiio) has more time to react to any serious design flaw in X5 before going into the mass production mode.

For sure we wish the Fiio X5 to be on par with DX100 (HDP-R10), HM-901 & AK120, the Ivy League of Reference DAP.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #553 of 19,652
Quote:
I would suggest if the Pre-production units of X5 are available now, then send them to respected & experienece senior headfiers such as ClieOS to review.

So that James (Fiio) has more time to react to any serious design flaw in X5 before going into the mass production mode.

For sure we wish the Fiio X5 to be on par with DX100 (HDP-R10), HM-901 & AK120, the Ivy League of Reference DAP.
biggrin.gif

I doubt there is a pre-production unit honestly. James mentioned several times their current focus is making X3 as stabile as possible and send it to all around the world. Also this is covering their top of the line portable amp E12 too. There are still people who wants to buy E12 but can't find it at stores. For the moment they focus on X3 and E12.

However your idea is great and maybe James can arrange something when the time comes (even if it has to be behind the doors for us).

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #554 of 19,652
kkcc & 96rubberduckys,
I totally agree with you.
SQ and UI + various technical features are the most important issues.
It's just that I thought that an "audiophile" DAP, if marketed properly, doesn't necessarily have to be a "niche" product.....I know: do not judge a book by it's cover...still the cover helps to sell it well
biggrin.gif

plus, I have to admit, as much as I hate apple "closed" world, when I hold in my hands an ipod/iphone/macbook I always marvel at how "luxurius" and precious they look and feel....

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #555 of 19,652
kkcc & 96rubberduckys,
I totally agree with you.
SQ and UI + various technical features are the most important issues.
It's just that I thought that an "audiophile" DAP, if marketed properly, doesn't necessarily have to be a "niche" product.....I know: do not judge a book by it's cover...still the cover helps to sell it well
:D
plus, I have to admit, as much as I hate apple "closed" world, when I hold in my hands an ipod/iphone/macbook I always marvel at how "luxurius" and precious they look and feel....

I guess the difficulties lies more in how to develop the scale, processes, and mgmt to mass produce the precision engineered parts and assembly required for these "premium look and feel" products. Even as big a company as HTC tried it with their HTC One, they weren't entirely successful. So I won't expect an Apple or Sony level of craftsmanship but would really want James to team to not skim on aesthetics and materials for the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back