The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #19,066 of 19,652
I think you will be dissapointed, the sound comes from your headphones/ in ears, not from the difference between the x3II / X5

So if I have a $2000 AK320 it would sound the same as my X3II because I'm using the same headphone, I think not. I know it won't be a night and day difference but you can hear if a dap is better. Plus they use different DACs so there is going to be a change in the over all sound signature. I'm not some hardcore audiophile but I have been doing this for a little while and I can hear the difference in every DAC and dap I've ever had, so I don't expect this to be any different.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #19,067 of 19,652
So if I have a $2000 AK320 it would sound the same as my X3II because I'm using the same headphone, I think not. I know it won't be a night and day difference but you can hear if a dap is better. Plus they use different DACs so there is going to be a change in the over all sound signature. I'm not some hardcore audiophile but I have been doing this for a little while and I can hear the difference in every DAC and dap I've ever had, so I don't expect this to be any different.
I was only talking about both FiiO Daps, not the AK top range. It would unacceptabe if there was no difference with player costing 10x of the FiiO's

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #19,068 of 19,652
I've been very happy with my X3II but wanted something that would sound a touch more refined so I went ahead and ordered a X5 first gen. From all the reviews and comparisons to the X3II I think the X5 will be exactly what I'm looking for. I know my HE-400i will pair up well with it but it's going to be interesting to hear how my Sony Z7 will sound. I love the way the Z7 sounds with my X3II so I'm guessing the X5 will be the same but hopefully a little better.

I've also been looking at getting a portable amp as I gave my only one to my niece. Does anyone have one that that think pairs well with the X5, besides the Fiio E12. Not looking to spend more than around $200.

Fiio E12A amp might be more suited depending on taste. 

If you go from X3II, you might feel more of an update going to X5II, than to X5, as X3II and X5 are pretty close.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #19,069 of 19,652
I was only talking about both FiiO Daps, not the AK top range. It would unacceptabe if there was no difference with player costing 10x of the FiiO's

I upgraded from the X3ii to the X5 Classic. Wrote a review about it and everything. The difference was more than satisfactory to me.

The X3ii is a nicer unit for UI and things like Deep Sleep Mode. But for sound, I much preferred the X5.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #19,073 of 19,652
The last firmware update was said to be the end of support for the X5 Classic.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #19,078 of 19,652
As I told you for me the the Fiio products are history. I will not touch another one no matter how many stellar reviews they will receive. At least I've learned a valuable lesson. In the end is very simple if they don't care about me why I need to care about them.
For the sake of fairness I need to make a clarifications:
The wheel was broken just several weeks before warranty but I didn't knew as I was in holiday. The claim was done shortly after my return and was already out of warranty. As I couldn't prove that was happens in the warranty period I didn't contest their decision to charged and I've paid. I was just willing to say that a serious company was at least quietly accepting an extended warranty only for this wheel that I think that is wrongly designed and wrongly implemented. For the firmware part I must say that many modern devices used in Hifi are now software dependent (players, DACS, streamers etc). As I said I don't know any product that has software involved that will not require further fixing, tuning or just pure improvements. A company , especially providing devices supposed to be HIFi class, that is not striving to obtain the maximum that could be obtained from a device released to the market and advertised as High class audio device is does not worth my money and attention.
I'm not willing to finance yearly release of not final engineered products just for the sake of releasing.
In this idea why the gen 2 was necessary? Why even shortly after X7 was released? If for X7 it could be argued that is actually different device for X5 gen II is not the case. Instead they could split their efforts and many to maximize X5 at his full potential and to make the new X7 better that they did with x5. Otherwise they will continuously release incomplete developed and supported products.
Also think about the K5 docking station. It doesn't support X5 gen 1. The X5 gen I was released internationally ~ 2years ago and now they considered already obsolete. Taking into account that a new product need some serious time from the idea to the final implementation it seems that they don't have any strategy even for short term.
As I said is only one target: The customer wallet.
For all the Fiio owners I wish only the best of luck and enjoy your device.

I agree with your opinion; I bought my X5 in 2015 of May, full of hope after reading the good reviews. Not to mention that X5 was my first DAP.
I'm not saying that the sound it's bad, it's not bad at all, but the softwer could be a LOT improved, developed.
What a shame from this company to their own customers!

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #19,079 of 19,652
I completely disagree with you and love my X3 and X5 DAPs. Love them! Just sayin....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back