The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 27, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #18,871 of 19,652
I never realized a standard 3.5mm interconnect cable would work with coaxial...  interesting.  I have a few that are decent sizes for when I do a X5/C5 combo, so when I finally get myself to break down and pick up the mojo, I'll give it a try.

Not seen anyone yet claim to have heard the difference on such a short length. Different if using a four foot cable from CD player to a HiFi amp.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #18,873 of 19,652
Just to update you guys!

Looks the default eq setting just sucks in some cases (both my headphones are slightly v shaped and guess I'm very sensitive to changes).

Messing around the eq with upgraded firmware I've managed to setup even a better setting than I had on iPod with everything sounding alive. To remove sibilence I decreased the 4 and 8khz freqs ans boosted some lower bass and mids - the details remained and the sound is awesome. For those of you with similar issues, now you know what to do. Have patience and twist some knobs.

Note the firmware does not make any sound difference to my ears, just as FiiO team said so.

Might it sound like throwing trash gear in, but including E6 in the set the sound achieved is very spacious and tender. Thinking about trying E12 later on.

Loving the EQ capabilities on the X5, they actually work! Keeping seperate settings for multiple cans and IEMs is a wonder, still unsure if preset titles can be changed.

Looking forward to HD 600 today will k33p you updated. :)

Update: read my newer posts

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #18,875 of 19,652
I just won an auction on ebay, the fiio X5 for 215 CAD (retails for 500+ on amazon.ca). I feel pretty freakin good about it.

There's a 2nd gen version of this player out tho.
Nonetheless that's a damn good price.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #18,877 of 19,652
It's the second gen version ~

That's an even better price then! :D

Check out this thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #18,878 of 19,652
A word to London fiio fans: there's a gentleman on Gumtree in Forest Gate selling what he has titled an 'mp3 player' for £70. It's a first gen x5. He won't post it to Bristol where I live so I can't get my fiio-greedy hands on it. I'm tempted but on balance I don't think I'll spend a day on a coach and £30 extra travel expenses to get this. It was close, mind, but no. So yes: if you want an x5 for £70, look him up.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #18,879 of 19,652
A word to London fiio fans: there's a gentleman on Gumtree in Forest Gate selling what he has titled an 'mp3 player' for £70. It's a first gen x5. He won't post it to Bristol where I live so I can't get my fiio-greedy hands on it. I'm tempted but on balance I don't think I'll spend a day on a coach and £30 extra travel expenses to get this. It was close, mind, but no. So yes: if you want an x5 for £70, look him up.

And I read - "lock him up" :D

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #18,882 of 19,652
Have you tried unplugging it from your PC, changing it to storage mode, and then plugging it in?

If that doesn't work, try rebooting the DAP and try again.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #18,883 of 19,652
anyone got any issues with trying to access the X5 in storage mode? Mine just kept charging.. i can't get it into the storage mode. =(

Are you using the supplied USB cable? Not all cables transfer data, some are power only. I know, basic question but it helps eliminate the obvious.

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #18,885 of 19,652
yeah using their stock cables...

Are you on Windows 10? I've never touched it but I've read in the forums that legacy USB may need to be activated. Please don't ask me how, just an idea. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back