The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 6, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #18,136 of 19,652
Personally, after spending over 5 weeks with the X5ii I do prefer the sound of the X5ii over the original even more now than when I first received it on the tour. I bought one very shortly after and have come to appreciate the quality more and more since then. Especially going back to the original after not hearing it for some time.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #18,137 of 19,652
I just wanna give you review for my new portable amp.
I just bought ALO Audio RX3+B and connected to my Fiio x5.
It has power and bass boost is very natural.
This is unexpected actually.
Now I am looking for cable between fiio x5 and that amp.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #18,138 of 19,652
What is all the talk about using another amp with the x5 if it already has an amp? Seems like this could be double amping - is the amp it comes with so lowly that an additional component is necessary in order to get any good sound out of it, or are you just doing that to satisfy a hard to drive headphone?

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #18,139 of 19,652
Not necessarily double amping since the X5 has a separate line-out that bypasses the amp (which is what you would use to connect to an amp).

But personally yeah the built-in amp is already up to it for my purposes.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #18,140 of 19,652
I mainly listen with iems and although the X5 stand alone sounds pretty good already, I prefer the sound signature stacked up (from line out) with my Cayin C5 amp...just a matter of preference I guess and not necesarry indeed...

When I (sometimes) use it with my Grado PS500, I can still use C5 at low gain and with the bass boost on it really sounds excellent to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #18,141 of 19,652
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
Personally, after spending over 5 weeks with the X5ii I do prefer the sound of the X5ii over the original even more now than when I first received it on the tour. I bought one very shortly after and have come to appreciate the quality more and more since then. Especially going back to the original after not hearing it for some time.

Ya I have the same experience when going back to what I had, the quality really pops out when I "Downgrade" more then when I "Upgrade" ...

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #18,143 of 19,652

Oh stop, you!!!

:wink_face:

What is all the talk about using another amp with the x5 if it already has an amp? Seems like this could be double amping - is the amp it comes with so lowly that an additional component is necessary in order to get any good sound out of it, or are you just doing that to satisfy a hard to drive headphone?

Not double amping if you use line out.

Besides adding driving power, using an amp can add a different sound sig without resorting to EQ. A lot of us find that cleaner.

Doesn't mean the X5 is lacking - just different...

I mainly listen with iems and although the X5 stand alone sounds pretty good already, I prefer the sound signature stacked up (from line out) with my Cayin C5 amp...just a matter of preference I guess and not necesarry indeed...

When I (sometimes) use it with my Grado PS500, I can still use C5 at low gain and with the bass boost on it really sounds excellent to my ears :)

C5DAC + smartphone = WIN!!!

Cayin N5 might be right up your alley :L3000:

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #18,144 of 19,652

There can be benefits to using a separate amp.  Not only for hard to power headphones.  Just like swapping tips on an item, amps can alter the sounds we hear.  As others have said, the line out will bypass the X5 internal amp.  I just purchased a Project Polaris, it is a solid state that is designed to sound like a valve tube amp, and offers 3 layers of gain, as well as other adjustments.  Other solid state amps can be more neutral for monitors or allow bass boost.  Using and rolling a tube amp can add bass, create a more warm forward sound, or larger sound stage.  I also use a Noble 3 which is a sensitive iem and I can hear noise when listening through DACs on my computer,  my new amp will allow a low dark floor so I can hear the music better.

The X5 is good by it self, but can be improved.  Or at least, adjusted to each of our personal preferences.  

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #18,145 of 19,652
"No music found"on OTG
Was hoping someone could help me with this problem with the X5.

Bought it a few months ago. Using 2x PNY 128gb microSD no problem and 3x 256gb PNY flashdrives, again no problem.

Now none of the flash drives work. The problem started all of a sudden. When I select OTG, it says, "No music found."

I've tried two different cables. Charging capability works.

I tried reset with pin and also reverting to factory install and then updating firmware. Attempts were with 2.2 and 2.5 and after factory reset.

I tried it with the micso SD card (whichworks fine alone in the player) and the Fiio card reader. Same message. The card reader works fine with my computer.
When I pull the cable out, the unit displays the message, "external usb storage removed" which I take to be a promising sign.

Player still works fine with micro SD cards placed in internal slots.

Computer does not see X5. The four lights come on the X5 to charge but the Windows DAC driver cannot be installed because the computer does not know the X5 is connected.

Thanks for reading this and whoever can help me gets a huge thank you.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #18,146 of 19,652
I see guys, thanks for your input.

It just seemed a bit disconcerting to me at first to read people are pairing the x5 with another portable amp, as if I will have to spend more to get a 2nd amp in order to get good sound out of this on the go. (the whole reason I would get the x5 would be so that I can have just 1 unit for my music on the go, rather than bulk around a cell phone + amp setup).

I guess I didn't consider using the x5 for a home setup. In that case I'd imagine the whole world of full size amps can be opened up with it using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I actually have several amps including the Ember 2.0 amp with dozens of tubes, and the Liquid Carbon on the way. I have a Gustard X12 DAC via Wyrd USB signal cleaner, and am getting a downright crystal clear noisefloor from my laptop - but I guess that would be interesting to also try the x5 as the DAC - maybe there is some benefit to its' DAC chip versus Sabre 9018.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #18,148 of 19,652
Hello guys, I heard there is an X5ii version. Can anybody please tell me what the improvements / differences are between X5 and X5ii? And is the ii version the one that's currently being sold if buying it new?

Or am I on the wrong thread for the X5ii?
If any of these questions has already been answered just go ahead and send me a link to the answer. Thanks!

Compared the two at a meet. Preferred first gen so went for it.

I found first gen to be more textured and weighty sound and imo was a better match with my akg k550.

Basically is comes down to which hps you plan to use with it and do some system matching.

For neutral hps with good treble extension, first gen is much better pairing to my ears. But if your hps already have lot of warmth like rha t20 i am reviewing now, it lacks clarity and sounds muffled.

Technically, both seemed on par in my short demo. Critical listening will probably reveal some differences, but i am sure they will be subtle.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #18,150 of 19,652
Yes, synergy is important!

Um, I actually liked T20 with my X5 Classic, though. I didn't find it muffled. Maybe if I had both generations of X5 and was swapping the T20 between them. But just listening to X5 + T20 on their own, I thought it was just fine.

i think the pairing with x5 classic is ok. but i like t20 better with my brighter sources. it depends on your preferences as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back