The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #18,091 of 19,652
No firmware update for better bass. The X5 isn't exactly bass light, after all.
smily_headphones1.gif
The EQ is your best recourse. You can alter any preset, or make a custom setting.

Are you running on High Gain? That is probably best for your needs.

I'll have to figure out how the use the EQ.

I was going back and forth between high gain and lo gain and settled on high gain.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #18,092 of 19,652

I was going back and forth between high gain and lo gain and settled on high gain.

Trust also the X5 is not cheating you on bass. You are used to a disproportionate amount. You are now hearing things closer to how it was meant to be heard.

But hey, if you're a bass-head, that's cool. But you may find you like the more balanced profile of the X5. Or not. Just give it a little time before you decide. There's no hurry.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #18,093 of 19,652

Trust also the X5 is not cheating you on bass. You are used to a disproportionate amount. You are now hearing things closer to how it was meant to be heard.

But hey, if you're a bass-head, that's cool. But you may find you like the more balanced profile of the X5. Or not. Just give it a little time before you decide. There's no hurry.

I don't consider myself a bass head, I listen to a lot of live music as some of my friends are musicians and I go their jam sessions. I'd just like to have bass like live music. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #18,094 of 19,652
I would think that whoever is in charge of the sound board determines what you are hearing at a live show. 

As far as the X5, I don't find it alters sound, but simply allows me to hear the music as it's recorded and as how it is presented by the headphones.

I consider X3II to be considerably darker, and same holds true for the sansa clip+. 

If you want punchy, but not overwhelming bass, I find the portapro headband + 75 drivers to fit that description to a tee.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #18,095 of 19,652
Then the first three in the list I gave previously should be an improvement over the e11K for your IEMs, though they are more expensive. Being a little biased because I own one I would recommend the ALO Rx for IEMs. Great little amp.

I sold the e11k and alo audio rx mk3b+ is coming soon.
I may give you some review for it.
Here I have question.
Is it possible to connect alo audio rx mk3b+ with fiio x5 by min to min 3.5mm plug?

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #18,096 of 19,652
I sold the e11k and alo audio rx mk3b+ is coming soon.
I may give you some review for it.
Here I have question.
Is it possible to connect alo audio rx mk3b+ with fiio x5 by min to min 3.5mm plug?

Yes, use the line out from the X5 to the single ended input on the mk3b+.

Don't ask me how the mk3b+ sounds as I have the new Rx, which is for IEMs only.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #18,098 of 19,652
No stuttering on mine. Depends on how you format the card (protip - use the X5 settings menu to format) or what album art size is embedded.

What some people fail to realize is that the Apple ecosystem is more controlled and therefore harder to break. iTunes does all the heavy lifting as far as files and file formats go and the hardware has no choice but to be formatted to the proper specification that is tested to work with the software. The reason for the smoother user experience is simply because they have their players tied to iTunes and have a controlled environment with software that can take advantage of that.

I´ve formatted my two Sandisk 64 GB Micro SD cards with SDFormatter from SD organisation. They state it should be the best formatting tool for SDxx cards. I also use it to my SD cards for my Nikon camera, and it works excellent.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #18,099 of 19,652
I use the x5 with E12. Is it possible that the high gain setting (x5) also effects the Line out? It is not louder but its much more stable and better defind. Is there a technical answer for that? I´m really curious.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #18,100 of 19,652
I use the x5 with E12. Is it possible that the high gain setting (x5) also effects the Line out? It is not louder but its much more stable and better defind. Is there a technical answer for that? I´m really curious.
it shouldn't affect it, but maybe the headphone out draws a bit of power somehow by switching to high gain, making the line out -less- powered, playing nicer with the E12?

This is a guess, not a tested explanation

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #18,101 of 19,652

It seems to me that 2 version sounds better than the first, because it has more low frequencies!

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #18,102 of 19,652

Highly unlikely there is any difference as the line out bypasses the internal amplifier in the X5 (which is where the gain is applied). I hear nothing, absolutely nothing switching from low to high gain while plugged in to the line out with the e12.

Answer........ Psychoacoustics.

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #18,103 of 19,652
Highly unlikely there is any difference as the line out bypasses the internal amplifier in the X5 (which is where the gain is applied). I hear nothing, absolutely nothing switching from low to high gain while plugged in to the line out with the e12.

Answer........ Psychoacoustics.

I believe you are right  . It was late yesterday and i was extrem tired so i will do the comparison again this evening.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #18,104 of 19,652
I have a problem here. One of my album covers isn't showing up. But instead of the music note it's entirely black. It shows up on vlc and mp3tag but on the player it's not showing. The picture is a 1200x1200 jpeg as well. I don't know
what the problem is.

I apologize for the terrible quality picture. This was taken from my phone.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #18,105 of 19,652
Try re-tagging it with your preferred software. I use foobar2000. Also, use nothing larger than 500x500. The X5 will resize it down to 320 anyway, but those larger resolutions have been known to cause performance issues, lag, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back