The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 21, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #18,076 of 19,652

I have had my X5 through ... I think 5 or 6 releases of firmware and tried a few betas. I have formatted cards with a couple of utilities on the PC, and after reading here... on the X5. I have not had any stuttering with any mix of 256 gig of music.
Unfortunately, that does not fix the OPs problem. I have nothing to offer other than what has been said here. Again, unfortunately...

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #18,077 of 19,652
Just got an X5 today used out of the forums. The last DAP I had was the X3 which I liked very much. I was really expecting the X5 to be much better than the X3. I listened to the X5 all afternoon and to me it sounds rather sterile. 
About an hour ago I hooked it up to my E17 and that made a huge difference. It brought life into the mix. I can see why people use the E12 with this DAP.

To me the X3 sounds better than the X5 but the X5 with the E17 sounds better than the X3.....and better than the X3 with the E17 I'm really loving the sound now. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #18,078 of 19,652
Your ears have become accustomed to the darker sound of the X3. Many people find it overly dark. I would give yourself a week of listening to the X5 un-amped and discover the beauty of its own characteristics. If, after that time, you still don't like it, you can always pair it with the E17 again.

It's anything but sterile. :cool:

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #18,079 of 19,652
7keys:

Yes, give the X5 some time without referencing the X3 or coupling with an amp - say a week - and then try your X3.

If you still prefer the X3, then you've found your preferred sound sig. Be happy!

If you now prefer the X5, then you've discovered you prefer a more neutral sound signature.

Then give yourself a bit more time and try the X5ii or Shanling M3 :wink_face:

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #18,081 of 19,652
Your ears have become accustomed to the darker sound of the X3. Many people find it overly dark. I would give yourself a week of listening to the X5 un-amped and discover the beauty of its own characteristics. If, after that time, you still don't like it, you can always pair it with the E17 again.

It's anything but sterile.
cool.gif

I've said this many times about the X3II as well. As a counter, I get "you didn't volume match" or "my ears are better than yours" or some such nonsense. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #18,082 of 19,652
  Just got an X5 today used out of the forums. The last DAP I had was the X3 which I liked very much. I was really expecting the X5 to be much better than the X3. I listened to the X5 all afternoon and to me it sounds rather sterile. 
About an hour ago I hooked it up to my E17 and that made a huge difference. It brought life into the mix. I can see why people use the E12 with this DAP.

To me the X3 sounds better than the X5 but the X5 with the E17 sounds better than the X3.....and better than the X3 with the E17 I'm really loving the sound now. 

Try Koss KSC75's with parts express headband or portapro headband, paired with your X5. With or without amp.

Win. 

Caveat: you might have to invest a hefty $23.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #18,083 of 19,652

Try Koss KSC75's with parts express headband or portapro headband, paired with your X5. With or without amp.

Win. 

Caveat: you might have to invest a hefty $23.

I like it with acoustic music but when I listen to rock the bass is too smooth. The drummers sound like they are using practice pads. I do have a StratoKOSSter but it's not any better.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #18,084 of 19,652
Are you using the headband mod? 

I'm not a fan of the stock 75's. They're just too airy, ie., with too much treble emphasis.

The parts express has a little bit more clamping force and sound nicely balanced: bass is tight, but there is some treble air as well.

The portapro headband has even more clamping force, with even more prominent and heavier bass. The bass is far from overwhelming however: it simply has noticeably more weight than with the PE headband or with ear clips. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #18,085 of 19,652
  Are you using the headband mod? 

I'm not a fan of the stock 75's. They're just too airy, ie., with too much treble emphasis.

The parts express has a little bit more clamping force and sound nicely balanced: bass is tight, but there is some treble air as well.

The portapro headband has even more clamping force, with even more prominent and heavier bass. The bass is far from overwhelming however: it simply has noticeably more weight than with the PE headband or with ear clips. 

No, it''s a KSC75 in a cherry cup with leather pads.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #18,086 of 19,652
Well, that's a very nice looking and elaborate mod. I read a bit about it in it's respective thread.

I still recommend the 75s with the PE or PP headband mod. Super inexpensive, super comfortable, very balanced sound signature, and sound amazing with the open back design. 

In the 75 thread, many users say the 75's and portapro's compare favorably with senn 600's, grado 500, alessandro's, and other very high dollar headphones.

I'm really amazed by the engineering of koss headphones and a little stumped that they wouldn't toot their own horn or market their amazing products more aggressively. They also have one of the best warranties in the world.

I've paired the X5 now with numerous headphones, and they are quite neutral, and give you a great sense of the sound signature of the headphones you are using.  

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #18,087 of 19,652
  Well, that's a very nice looking and elaborate mod. I read a bit about it in it's respective thread.

I still recommend the 75s with the PE or PP headband mod. Super inexpensive, super comfortable, very balanced sound signature, and sound amazing with the open back design. 

In the 75 thread, many users say the 75's and portapro's compare favorably with senn 600's, grado 500, alessandro's, and other very high dollar headphones.

I'm really amazed by the engineering of koss headphones and a little stumped that they wouldn't toot their own horn or market their amazing products more aggressively. They also have one of the best warranties in the world.

I've paired the X5 now with numerous headphones, and they are quite neutral, and give you a great sense of the sound signature of the headphones you are using.  

I've tried all the mods for the  KSC75 and even though I really like the sound of these, I was amazed at the sound right out of the box, you're never going to get to the quality of sound of the Sen 600, just like you're never going to get a SR60 to sound like an RS1. Although you can get the Sen PX 100 to sound very close to a Sen 600 but with a smaller sound stage. IMO.

​I listened to the X5 alone for a few hours last night and I seem to be acquiring a taste for it. It's more open and airy than the X3 with a wider soundstage, and a little more detail. It still seems to lack bass. I tried to use the EQ to get a little more bass but only seemed to be able to use the presets, they are way to radical. Is there a firmware that might add a little bass. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #18,088 of 19,652
No firmware update for better bass. The X5 isn't exactly bass light, after all. :) The EQ is your best recourse. You can alter any preset, or make a custom setting.

Are you running on High Gain? That is probably best for your needs.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #18,089 of 19,652
I hadn't used my old X5 in a few months and now it only freezes at the splash screen. It stays stuck on the screen and I can only reset the device.

I've looked around, but I haven't found a solution that has worked. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #18,090 of 19,652
The bass is there when it should be, but it will take a while to adjust if you're coming from the X3 which was a very warm sounding though enjoyable DAP. Have fun and enjoy your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back