The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #17,956 of 19,652
Hi guys
Since it would take a purchase or two and several days' file transferring to check for myself... how does the X5 handle large libraries now?
Would it be perfectly happy if I removed the FLACs from the cards and asked it to index 25,000 m4a files (completely uniformly tagged and converted from my own FLACs from my own CD collection) from a 128GB+64GB combination or a 200GB card? Or would it object; is that asking too much? Anyone have a large library on there?
Cheers

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #17,957 of 19,652
  Hi guys
Since it would take a purchase or two and several days' file transferring to check for myself... how does the X5 handle large libraries now?
Would it be perfectly happy if I removed the FLACs from the cards and asked it to index 25,000 m4a files (completely uniformly tagged and converted from my own FLACs from my own CD collection) from a 128GB+64GB combination or a 200GB card? Or would it object; is that asking too much? Anyone have a large library on there?
Cheers

OK, I have my collection iTunes so all m4a, I am using 2x128 Sandisk mSD cards in my X5, one card holds 52,18 Gb and the other 86,92 Gb, I have had no problems so far 
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #17,958 of 19,652
Hi guys
Cheers

For transferring i wouldn't use the X5 itself. At home i use the SanDisk “imagemate all-in-one USB 3.0 reader" and for portable use i have the Kingston "mobilite G3" works like a charm.

The X5 could potentially take up to 2TB of data.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #17,961 of 19,652
Browse by Folder is the champion's choice. :cool:

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #17,962 of 19,652
The folder browsing advices just encourage FiiO to think that accelerated or intelligent scrolling has no priority. For those who like shuffle play with just some selective song search now and then (or those searching by category) that's no option. At least not a comfortable one.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #17,963 of 19,652
True enough.

I only ever listen through entire albums, save for very special moments. And I never shuffle.

For those that do, I suppose it would be nice to have a system that worked well for their needs.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #17,964 of 19,652
I've using the pny 128gb in my x5 with no issues. Firmware 2.5. tested exFat and fat32.

I've heard that the lexar 633x 128gb is great.

There's plenty of people here on the X5 forum who have reported that the Sansung 128gb mSD cards work well. If you buy from a reputable dealer I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Just make sure to format the card with the player in the settings menu.

Just be aware of 'too good to be true' deals.

Seeing as you have the X5ii you may want to check out that forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-tour-application-megathread

Yes, they work. I have three of them: two in the X5 II, one in the X3 II.

I'm not sure if going for 64 GB cards now and buying 128 GB cards later will be any cheaper than buying 128 GB cards from the start. Unless you have any reasonable use for the 64 GB cards then.

I've got two Sandisk 128gb's in my X5, got them on sale at B&H for $70. each, about a month ago. Once the 200gb falls below $100. I'll get one for my X1.

The SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 Micro SDXC cards have been running only about $78 on Amazon as of late. I'm using two in the X5II (from on OG X5) and they've worked great...no issues. 

I've been spending a lot of time listening to my X5 II and I'm loving it. I've ordered the amp stacking kit for it to go with my E12A, but thus far I haven't felt the need for it, as I think the new amp section of the X5 II is a tad more neutral and spacious sounding than the OG X5. I'm hoping that this opinion remains as I'd much rather carry the DAP alone than stacked with the amp. Though, if you use a case that fits both and rides on your belt it's really not an issue. 

I bought my first 64GB Evo in December 2013. Using it in my Galaxy S4. They were like $70 then. I guess when the 128GBs arrived, the price dropped. This gets me excited for the 200GB. I'll pick up a 128 if it drops a bit as well.

Thanks so much folks, I wound up with the SanDisk 128GB and an existing SanDisk 64GB until I run out of room on the second one; both working fine!

One more question and I searched here and the FiiO forum:

Does anyone know how to use the FiiO X5ii with a CTIA compatible remote control at the same time as the line out (with an E12A amp)? Evidently, plugging in the line out disables the X5's headphone in, even if the headphone remote feature is enable in the settings menu.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #17,965 of 19,652
One more question and I searched here and the FiiO forum:

Does anyone know how to use the FiiO X5ii with a CTIA compatible remote control at the same time as the line out (with an E12A amp)? Evidently, plugging in the line out disables the X5's headphone in, even if the headphone remote feature is enable in the settings menu.

Can't be done, brother. If you really think about it, you'll figure out why.

Sorry. Them's the breaks.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #17,967 of 19,652
Ahhh I believe I see, one DAC, one processor, one input controller.  It would probably wind up introducing some noise, anyway.

I thought you meant you have a pair of headphones with in-line remote, and you have that coming out of the E12A, and you don't understand why the remote functions aren't working.

I reread your original post. I think I understand what sort of setup you're trying to achieve.

You have your headphones coming out of the E12A, but you also have a stand-alone remote plugged into the headphone-out on the X5?

That's elaborate. I doubt it will work, but I give you props for trying.

I think I've read that the line-out, when active, shuts down the other outputs. This is what you're experiencing. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a way around it.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #17,968 of 19,652
Line out cancels headphone out, so no signal will be coming from the HO if a cable is plugged in to LO and therefore no remote can be used.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #17,969 of 19,652
I thought you meant you have a pair of headphones with in-line remote, and you have that coming out of the E12A, and you don't understand why the remote functions aren't working.

I reread your original post. I think I understand what sort of setup you're trying to achieve.

You have your headphones coming out of the E12A, but you also have a stand-alone remote plugged into the headphone-out on the X5?

That's elaborate. I doubt it will work, but I give you props for trying.

I think I've read that the line-out, when active, shuts down the other outputs. This is what you're experiencing. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a way around it.

Thanks yes, I'm wondering if FiiO may be able to change this in F/W.  It's interesting but I seem to remember back about ten years ago a few Head-Fiers had the same question about pairing an iPod Classic with a portable amp like the RSA SR-71 or Hornet via line out and controlling it remotely.  I like the set up where I can just put X5 + E12 in a closed waist pouch and let it play, but I wish I could just skip songs.

Line out cancels headphone out, so no signal will be coming from the HO if a cable is plugged in to LO and therefore no remote can be used.

Yes, thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back