The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 1, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #17,941 of 19,652
  I down loaded some test tones to volume match but my sound meter is only accurate to 0.5 dBA, not .1 or .2. 

Also, reading brooko's review, it seems as if he is not clear whether he perceived any differences between the X5 and X5II or whether he was unduly influenced by the X5II literature, therefore was expecting to hear an improvement. 

Even with volume matching, you can't really do a proper comparison if you know which source you are using. 

The comparison would have to be volume matched and double blind, with neither the listener nor experimenter knowing which source was which during the testing. 

I A/B'd in this case.  My wife was busy - so I didn't get the chance to do it blind.  I have a switcher though, so it is possible to have both sources practically seamless when comparing.  My expectation was for the differences to be quite large.  What I heard was less than I expected.  They were volume matched to within 0.1 dB.  But I'd be first to tell you that it wasn't a valid test since it was sighted. It is my honest opinion on what I heard though.  And I do think that there is a slightly holographic nature to the X5ii - a more vivid presentation than with the original X5.  But it is not massive.

Once I get back from my business trip - I could run the tests again - but blind next time.  Personally I don't see the point in this case.  I state quite clearly in all my reviews :
 This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

You're never going to get concensus on sound anyway.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #17,942 of 19,652

Optical on the Mac, Coax on the X5. I also thought they should sound the same, but they do not, not even close.

By any chance are you using DirectSound on the PC? That goes through an internal Windows mixer and is definitely not bit-perfect.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #17,943 of 19,652

My 128Gb also had errors and the computer wanted to repair them. I noticed in NTFS format the writes (song transfer) took longer (forever) than FAT32.

All I care about is that the issue wasn't with my beautiful X5 or E12A. 
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

I am wondering would a Samsung Evo microSDXC 128GB MB-MP128DA/EU work on the Fiio?

It is a lot cheaper then the sandisk I currently have for my Fiio.

Hi folks, I'm new to the X5ii and am trying to figure out if Samsung 128 EVO MicroSDs work?  I've done multiple searches, but no one seems to be able to confirm.  I understand that most of you are using SanDisk 64GB MicroSDs, but I'm trying to transition away from larger SanDisk cards as I've had four RMAs in two years, and each RMA takes about 3 weeks to process.

Thanks in advance Samsung 128 EVO MicroSD Card users for your replies!

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #17,944 of 19,652
I can only speak for the 64GB Samsung Evo, and it works beautifully in my X3ii and X5 Classic.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #17,946 of 19,652
I bought my first 64GB Evo in December 2013. Using it in my Galaxy S4. They were like $70 then. I guess when the 128GBs arrived, the price dropped. This gets me excited for the 200GB. I'll pick up a 128 if it drops a bit as well.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #17,947 of 19,652
Hi folks, I'm new to the X5ii and am trying to figure out if Samsung 128 EVO MicroSDs work?  I've done multiple searches, but no one seems to be able to confirm.  I understand that most of you are using SanDisk 64GB MicroSDs, but I'm trying to transition away from larger SanDisk cards as I've had four RMAs in two years, and each RMA takes about 3 weeks to process.

I've using the pny 128gb in my x5 with no issues. Firmware 2.5. tested exFat and fat32.

I've heard that the lexar 633x 128gb is great.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #17,948 of 19,652

There's plenty of people here on the X5 forum who have reported that the Sansung 128gb mSD cards work well. If you buy from a reputable dealer I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Just make sure to format the card with the player in the settings menu.

Just be aware of 'too good to be true' deals.

Seeing as you have the X5ii you may want to check out that forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765943/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-impressions-and-discussion-tour-application-megathread

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #17,949 of 19,652

Yes, they work. I have three of them: two in the X5 II, one in the X3 II.

I'm not sure if going for 64 GB cards now and buying 128 GB cards later will be any cheaper than buying 128 GB cards from the start. Unless you have any reasonable use for the 64 GB cards then.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #17,950 of 19,652
I've got two Sandisk 128gb's in my X5, got them on sale at B&H for $70. each, about a month ago. Once the 200gb falls below $100. I'll get one for my X1.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #17,951 of 19,652
  I've got two Sandisk 128gb's in my X5, got them on sale at B&H for $70. each, about a month ago. Once the 200gb falls below $100. I'll get one for my X1.

It's insane isn't it? 200 billion bytes on something I'm afraid to sneeze around....

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #17,952 of 19,652
  It's insane isn't it? 200 billion bytes on something I'm afraid to sneeze around....

Ya, regular SD would have been better.

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #17,953 of 19,652
The SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 Micro SDXC cards have been running only about $78 on Amazon as of late. I'm using two in the X5II (from on OG X5) and they've worked great...no issues. 

I've been spending a lot of time listening to my X5 II and I'm loving it. I've ordered the amp stacking kit for it to go with my E12A, but thus far I haven't felt the need for it, as I think the new amp section of the X5 II is a tad more neutral and spacious sounding than the OG X5. I'm hoping that this opinion remains as I'd much rather carry the DAP alone than stacked with the amp. Though, if you use a case that fits both and rides on your belt it's really not an issue. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #17,954 of 19,652
  The SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 Micro SDXC cards have been running only about $78 on Amazon as of late. I'm using two in the X5II (from on OG X5) and they've worked great...no issues. 

I've been spending a lot of time listening to my X5 II and I'm loving it. I've ordered the amp stacking kit for it to go with my E12A, but thus far I haven't felt the need for it, as I think the new amp section of the X5 II is a tad more neutral and spacious sounding than the OG X5. I'm hoping that this opinion remains as I'd much rather carry the DAP alone than stacked with the amp. Though, if you use a case that fits both and rides on your belt it's really not an issue. 

Pft, but did you volume match to within 0.1 dBA? I kid, I kid. :)

But seriously if the X5II is a bit more neutral, then this would confirm my impression that the X5 has a slightly v shaped sound signature, with a bit of extra detail in the upper midrange and treble, and a noticeable bass punch, which is still very detailed and clean. 

Please do let us know how the amp synergizes with your x5 and/or x5II.

I also have a sandisk 128; I got a legit one on ebay for south of $60 and it works perfectly from what I can tell. I probably should've purchased two, but was skeptical of whether I'd receive a fake or not, so hedged my bets and bought just one. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #17,955 of 19,652
Nope sorry, no level matching 
biggrin.gif
...just listening for long periods of time after having gotten used to the sound of the OG X5. Both players sound very good, I simply find the X5 II to sound more spacious and without that hint of warmth you sometimes hear with the OG X5.

I wish the recording industry as a whole would do their job (making great sounding CD's) as well has some audio component/gear manufacturers are doing theirs. It amazes me at times when I hear wonderfully recorded CD, and infuriates me when I hear CD's with no dynamic range, and sound lifeless. All of our audio systems have the ability to sound SO much better, but we need the music/recording industry as a whole, to do a better job than they're doing now.  Rant over...sorry. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back