The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #17,641 of 19,652
  Do you all think that the X5 gen 1 will drop in price before the X5ii arrives? I've got a first world problem: Do I rotate 64gb cards out of my X3ii (Total investment $220); purchase a 128gb for my X3ii (Total investment $300, including the two 64gb cards and 128gb card) or hope the X5 drops in price before the X5ii comes out and use my two 64gb cards ($50 + cost of the X5)? I'm only using it with iems at this point (SE535, ER4S, IE80). Any advice is appreciated! 
(128gb is enough music for me...)

X5 1st gen will be for sale by owners, even if it does not drop in price new. 

In Romania there is a drop in price and now it costs 363 $.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #17,642 of 19,652
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to managed FLAC files for multi-disc albums? I *really* want to avoid separating disks by folder. I tried using different file naming methods,such as:

1-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac

or

101 filename.flac
102 filename.flac
201 filename.flac

I've tried playing files both by library tag (there's still an issue with the X5 not reading the disc field, right?) and by file browser and in both cases it plays the files by track number in sequence:

1-1 filename.flac
2-1 filename.flac
1-2 filename.flac

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I usually just label the tracks sequentially.
In other words, the songs on disc 1 are 1-8, te songs on disc 2 are 9-16, for example.

In other news...I am getting close to 4,000 tracks on my two 64 GB cards! And I still have lots of room on one of them.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #17,643 of 19,652
In other words, the songs on disc 1 are 1-8, te songs on disc 2 are 9-16, for example.

In other news...I am getting close to 4,000 tracks on my two 64 GB cards! And I still have lots of room on one of them.

If you have a correctly tagged library using discnumber. it is easier to convert to the 101,102,201 method...

%discnumber%num$(%track%,2)

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #17,644 of 19,652
  2.) As a long time iTunes user syncing playlists, how does one transfer audio to the X5? Videos im seeing are people manually dragging folders. Not sure if im overly keen on that.

3.) If I get the X5 I can see ill be reripping lots of my audio into FLAC. For ultimate compatibility im sure ill keep my 320 AAC/MP3 collection which is about 80GB in size. Are there any tips for maintaining multiple collections? Which feeds into how people sync to the X5. Maintaining a collection means I can keep using iTunes and then copy to X5 in some other form. Or is there another piece of software people like using instead of iTunes?

Thanks

Musicbee is the answer to both these.

Well, technically, Mediamonkey can do it as well, but I had too many problems with it crashing when transferring files. Add in some weirdness when dealing with high bitrate files and a more annoying 'tag from web' interface (it's limited to the amazon store, whereas the bee looks at multiple sources) and the PITA switching between speakers/DACs and it's just not as good. (that said, the manual tagging/renaming tools are powerful)

My setup is I have all of my music mirrored on a server, plus sitting on a local HDD under two separate folders (/incoming for recent purchases/acquisitions, then moved to /lib when tagged properly). Music then gets pushed to my X5 as either flac or -V0, with the target card depending on genre (which, for me, falls into one of six broad styles of music). 

Plus an iTunes library of everything on the server in -v0 for Airplay and pushing to my phone, but that's pretty much obsolete and probably going to go at some point because Airplay is flaky as hell and not worth the headache. 

Once you get Musicbee set up, it can handle that entire workflow. It will autoscan all the directories, rip discs to flac (with accuraterip/libflac), let me tag/add art/add lyrics to anything the /incoming folder, move it to /lib/<genre>/<artist>/<year> - <album>/<track> - <title>, mirror that to the server, copy flac or transcode with lame to the appropriate card. Sorted.

Plus it will switch my output between speakers, either of my DACs or my bluetooth portable that comes outside with me (on the rare occasions I actually push myself into working out). And act as a uPnP/dlna server to stream to the speakers in my kitchen. And maintain a couple of playlists for me (new stuff I want to listen to, a 'new album every week' playlist, favorite tracks, workout music, dinner music, etc).

Trying to do that just in the windows interface would be painful, and involve using a bunch of tools - musicbrainz/mp3tag to auto/manual tag, chrome to d/l art that didn't autotag and lyrics, a couple of explorer windows (5, to be exact), dbpoweramp for conversions, EAC for ripping... and then something to actually play music. Dealing with ~80k tracks.... I don't miss the iRiver h140 'do everything via drag and drop' days at all :)

It's definitely got some issues to work out - DSD (DoP) playback was only just added and needs work, streaming can be spotty (but that's usually hardware annoyances), and the skinning isn't as flexible as others. But still, it's the best option for me atm.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #17,646 of 19,652
If you have a correctly tagged library using discnumber. it is easier to convert to the 101,102,201 method...

%discnumber%num$(%track%,2)

I'm using Media Monkey.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #17,647 of 19,652

try renumbering the songs in the metadata.
For example, you would do this in Media Monkey via properties.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #17,648 of 19,652
try renumbering the songs in the metadata.
For example, you would do this in Media Monkey via properties.

That's how I do it and have zero issues. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #17,649 of 19,652

As DAP's get better at what they do, we need to be so much better at ensuring that music is tagged accurately and in an apposite manner for devices that we use. I have been spending a reasonable amount of time recently working through my hard drives making sure that there are no nasty surprises, and to be honest I tend to find one or two every time I sit down to do this. Even if you were careful, as i was to begin with, it is easy to have made mistakes, or not to have corrected errors.

And as many of us are finding, mistakes can compromise our sense of order when we are sat relaxing with a beer and our favourite headphones.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #17,650 of 19,652
As DAP's get better at what they do, we need to be so much better at ensuring that music is tagged accurately and in an apposite manner for devices that we use. I have been spending a reasonable amount of time recently working through my hard drives making sure that there are no nasty surprises, and to be honest I tend to find one or two every time I sit down to do this. Even if you were careful, as i was to begin with, it is easy to have made mistakes, or not to have corrected errors.

And as many of us are finding, mistakes can compromise our sense of order when we are sat relaxing with a beer and our favourite headphones.

i procrastinated for a long time, before i finally fixed all tags in my music library.

If i had done it back when that consisted of about 800 tracks it would've been so much easier. Spend a good 160 hours fixing everything. (Including re-ripping in lossless format for which i only had lossy)

In the end it feels so much nicer. No more nasty surprises for me :D

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #17,651 of 19,652
i procrastinated for a long time, before i finally fixed all tags in my music library.

If i had done it back when that consisted of about 800 tracks it would've been so much easier. Spend a good 160 hours fixing everything. (Including re-ripping in lossless format for which i only had lossy)

In the end it feels so much nicer. No more nasty surprises for me
biggrin.gif

Well worth the effort - maintaining is easy now 
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #17,653 of 19,652
Is it possible to to add to a "now playing" playlist, so my chosen songs play in sequence after adding them to the playlist "on the go?

All I can do it seems, is add a song that is playing to a playlist for playing at a later point in time.

I just want to be able to listen to songs, then queue up more songs to create s bespoke playlist for example to entertain friends at a festival on speakers etc.

if someone knows how to do this is appreciate your assistance please!

Thanks

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #17,655 of 19,652
Is it possible to to add to a "now playing" playlist, so my chosen songs play in sequence after adding them to the playlist "on the go?

All I can do it seems, is add a song that is playing to a playlist for playing at a later point in time.

I just want to be able to listen to songs, then queue up more songs to create s bespoke playlist for example to entertain friends at a festival on speakers etc.

if someone knows how to do this is appreciate your assistance please!

Thanks

Have you tried the Favorites feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back