The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #17,371 of 19,652
Maybe this thread is in limbo for the time being.  One of the main topics here could be X5II, and we're stuck in a 'no info' spin.

You may be right!
Sooner or later most threads stagnate and die.
They get to a point where there is nothing more to say.
Maybe we've exhausted the X5 talk?

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #17,372 of 19,652
Yep - some more photos here Chris : http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/972997/luxury-precision/

Plus its own thread here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/762975/luxury-precision-lp5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player-with-akm-ak4414-wooden-backplate-silver-gold-version

Just waiting on some final info from the creators before I post the review.

Maybe it does look better in real life than it does in a photo.
I do miss those old vintage receivers with wooden case work.
They looked better than they sounded!

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #17,373 of 19,652

I'm really sure where I stand on extra amplification.  I tried an amp I'd had for a couple of years and, after listening to a file on the 5, plugged it into the amp.  It was definetly a higher level of performance.  Just lucky, I guess.

I have some Senn HD-650's which just don't sing with the X5 alone - just need the higher voltage the E12 provides, and high gain to boot. Same goes for my HE-400's: they're low-impedance but really suck back current to get up to volume.

All depends on the cans. With my M50x's I can't tell the difference between the combo or standalone X5.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #17,374 of 19,652
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but most of the time aangen's cantankerous retorts make me laugh out loud. It's just who he is, man!

It's not like he's one of those jerks who doesn't even own the item being discussed but pops in anyways to spout off about how it's crap compared to their favorite x, y, or z.

Beyond the sarcasm, he's been plenty helpful to me and other headfi-ers in the past.

+1 he makes me laugh a lot at times, keep it coming aangen.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #17,376 of 19,652
Yep, Aangen is a very nice guy (with imo great taste in music) and I also like his sense of humor...

And because of him I learned very interesting things about tin foil heads like: it acts as a Faraday cage, an enclosure made up of a conducting material that shields its interior from external electrostatic charges and electromagnetic radiation by distributing them around its exterior and dissipating them. The tin-foil also detracts any life-threatening object – like an asteroid or exploding building.
So, because of knowing this my IQ has probably raised with another 0,000000000000½ % (up to a stunning total of 38 pts) => thank you Aangen!
wink.gif

Concerning the X5 vs X5II what will the improvements be? Or is this still some kinda secret at the moment? If this information is posted before then I've probably missed it...

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #17,377 of 19,652
Apparently info is coming soon. Nothing solid yet though.........

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #17,379 of 19,652
Is there any way to increase the size of font for lyrics on X5 screen?
The reason is that my eye sight is pour and so it is difficult to watch.

No. Not unless you use the custom theme unpacking tool and replace the default font with one that uses a larger font.

You may want to check out the custom themes thread for something that has better readability. FiiO recently allowed the customization of text colours so you may find something with a brighter/more contrasting text. Not sure about the lyrics though as the themes I've customized I haven't been able to see the result of the lyric colour changes as I don't have any songs with lyrics.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #17,381 of 19,652
Here ya go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717947/fiio-x5-custom-modded-firmwares

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #17,382 of 19,652
+1 he makes me laugh a lot at times, keep it coming aangen.

Let's just say:
-1 on my part and I'll leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back