The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #17,041 of 19,652
Ideally EQ settings should be made for earphones / speakers, not music genres. They can be pretty much set and forget for a given model of earphones rather than what aangen implies above.

That's a great thought.  I never really got the jist of EQ-ing by genre in the 1st place.  Having suggested EQs for different phones might probably be a cure or suppressant for upgrade-itus for some.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #17,042 of 19,652
  Guys, I haven't been able to find a place where its talking about the potential improvments to the X5ii over the current X5. Its tough to know whether to get an X5, X3ii or wait till the summer! Can anyone help?

There is no information about the X5ii available. How much is waiting worth for you? The X3ii is brand new - the X5 will be replaced in a few months time.

My advice: If you need a DAP now, buy the best one you can afford now and enjoy it. If you don't need one now, wait for the X7iii.

Cheers,
K
EDIT: That was just me pulling your leg. I reviewed the X3ii and it's VERY close to the X5 but it doesn't "beat" it. Hope that helps.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #17,043 of 19,652
Went to sleep and look what I missed...

I really like the EQ discussion that's been going on! Genre presets make no sense whatsoever to me! All the EQ presets on my X5 have been renamed after my favorite HP/IEM since fw came out where we could alter the presets.

IMHO, X5 EQ settings should be kept in an X5-related location - a new thread, a wiki, or this thread.

A tabular format would be nice.

Some kind of sorting by EQ type would also be nice - like bass, flat, treble focused EQ.

And just a shout out for Joe Bloggs... I got to listen to his super-EQ settings that took took a low-fi bass-enhanced IEM into a mid-fi "lean machine" territory. If anyone can help with this crusade, I'm putting my money on Joe. Heading over to your link now, Joe...

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #17,045 of 19,652
And when you refer to more advanced EQ, do you mean you want Fiio to add some parametric capability? I suspect a lot of headphones could benefit by two or three channels of parametric EQ rather than the kind of broad brush correction that graphic EQ provides, but there aren't very many people out there who would really know how to apply it. I'm not sure I would either in this realm, and I used it a lot in my younger days doing sound for bands.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #17,049 of 19,652
Uzi's right.

An amp isn't going to give you "oomph" (whatever that is).  The X5 will output (on low gain)

460 mW into a 16 ohm load
255 mw into a 32 ohm load
28 mW into a 300 ohm load

High gain WILL NOT give you more power.

Power is NOT gain.

Gain is NOT power.

Sensitivity is another parameter:
i.e. 1 Volt in = 50 Watts out into 8 Ohms.

They are three quite different parameters.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #17,051 of 19,652
+100 for parametric EQ and 10-band EQ options to cater to regular and super users.

Yes, why not! But at least five bands for the parametric EQ nonetheless.
tongue_smile.gif

And I'm voting for one wheel and one touchscreen firmware, so everybody's happy. And we have four different firmwares to choose from in total.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #17,052 of 19,652
Or, to have the best, have both touch and wheel, with a button to activate touch, and between parametrics and graphic eq, to can change in the settings.

But then, it would cost much more than 420$, so i guess that i am either going to stick with the options they go for, or go for x7, as it has touch, and can have any type of EQ one wants because of android.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #17,053 of 19,652
Or, to have the best, have both touch and wheel, with a button to activate touch, and between parametrics and graphic eq, to can change in the settings.

But then, it would cost much more than 420$, so i guess that i am either going to stick with the options they go for, or go for x7, as it has touch, and can have any type of EQ one wants because of android.

This all makes me wonder what the X7 will have?
I ain't reading the X7 thread, it's not released yet, but the thread goes on and on and on and on and on.......

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #17,054 of 19,652
  While we are at it can we please have touch screen control and get rid of the wheel? I know everyone is split on this but IMO nothing beats a touch screen interface. 

Oh me Gawd; must I plead again?
If I for one, wanted touchscreen, I'd be getting the X7.  IMHO!  I'm sticking to the X5 I or II because it doesn't need a touchscreen.  I hate to keep flogging this issue, but if you really want a touchscreen, buy a touchscreen-type player.
Just talking for myself.  (A trigger issue with me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back