The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #16,921 of 19,652
Yeah, despite the "warning" not to use a large micro SD card for updating, or using one with files on it, i've used my 64GB card since the beginning (and this very same one as well on the X3)

No problems at all. Fat32 file format of course.

I see that you use a X5 combo with your GR10 which is a very sensitive IEM that not really need an amp, or is the reason to gain more bass? I still not decided which way to go,as I am intrested in the ZX1 as well, but they are limited on 128GB, and due to the sound character will probably only work fine with my IE80. On the X5 I can use two 128GB cards right?The difference in sound will be minimal I guess, so the storage might be my biggest motivation to go for an X5.

The headphone output on the X5 is clean, but not thát clean.

The e12DIY through line out lowered the noisefloor, making it better sounding to me.
I upgraded from the X3 for exactly that reason; more space.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #16,922 of 19,652
The headphone output on the X5 is clean, but not thát clean.

The e12DIY through line out lowered the noisefloor, making it better sounding to me.
I upgraded from the X3 for exactly that reason; more space.

I had never heared e12diy, but e12a is the most amazing amp i had ever heared for iems and headphones under 300ohm.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,925 of 19,652
Not everyone likes the same amps. Maybe it just hits his sweet spot or has good synergy with his setup.

His favourite amp for all cans under 300ohms? No, he needs to try out more amps if that is the case. The e12a is very good as far as portables go, but it certainly doesn't hold a candle to my Gustard or Garage 1217 amps for any impedance. Yes, this is my opinion and yes he will like different amps that me, and everyone likes different stuff....but we all do find some common values...

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #16,930 of 19,652
I don't even have a good desktop amp. Grado RA-1 works great with my RS-1, and that's where it ends.
Even my PS1000 i drive with my e12DIY.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #16,931 of 19,652
  As a portable amp I would agree with him, based on what I have heard to this point.

thanks, i really consider e12a a beauttifull product.

No worries, man. Haven't seen skerry talk about anything but portable gear yet in this thread.

yes, i am only talking about portable amps, it would be unfair to compare e12a to full desktop amps. i am wondering though, if any desktop amp can drive iems better than e12a, i mean black background and all.

Gotcha @bavinck. I was taking skerry's comments in the context of portable devices - not sure that skerry meant the E12A trumps desktop class amps in the same price range.

thanks again, this is totally true, i am talking only about portable amps, even though in romania, i had not seen any desktop amp for the same price as e12a, the cheapest is matrix mstage hpa2.

Well then, you need to try out some more amps:)

i sure need, but just to mention this, i am only after portable amps, if it is desktop, it is not worth the bother for me, and to mention this: x5+e12a stack was compared against ifi idsd micro, and chord hugo, when i bought it, because i felt like trying to save more money faster to buy either idsd micro or hugo, then after hearing all three side by side, with the same files, i thought to myself that until i will have enough money x5+e12a stack sounds enough good. to be entirely true, to my personal setup and tastes, and needs a x5+e12a stack fits the needs best. Hugo sounds better, but x5+hugo stack is even less portable than x5+e12a stack, and the improovement in SQ is not worth carrying it compared to x5+e12a, this afirmation meaning that it does sound better, but considering price and size and weight i would rather use x5+e12a as my on the go stack, and i could buy a hugo for use around the house.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #16,932 of 19,652
  The one thing that I wish Fiio would implement on a future firmware is the option to sort by album artist instead of artist.  Using library search is impossible when you have multi-artist compilations loaded on the X5 because the artist directory gets so cluttered up.  For my uses, sorting by album artist is much more efficient.  All of my multi-artist comps are tagged as "Various Artists" under "Album Artist" with the individual artist names preserved.

Since Fiio has expressed no interest in such an implementation, however, I guess I'll just continue to use the folder browser.

As long as it's an OPTION, as I have no desire to go through 22,000 files to enter data into the Album Artist tab.

And yes, anyone with more than 8 GB of files is going to have to stick with the folder option for God knows how long because it's become pretty obvious that FiiO just doesn't care about the fact that most of us have no way to work with half of their GUI. I'm betting that they're saving the fix as an inducement to buy the X7, which I have no desire to do.

I'm quite unimpressed with the new FW. A few VERY minor glitches cleaned up (things that one competent code monkey could have done in a week, yet it took HOW long?), while continuing to ignore the 2000 lb gorilla in the room.

I'm guessing that this FW satisfied the concerns of less than a few dozen users.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #16,933 of 19,652
Thanks for the rant. Very helpful.

I understand the concerns but is it really that terrible for you? I mean c'mon it can't be that bad.

If you don't want to take the time to organize your data tags then what else do you expect? I wouldn't blame FiiO for the lack of organization.

You may prefer a used iPod classic or iPod touch and an external amp like the Oppo HA-2 to organize and play your music, or grab a Sony player.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #16,935 of 19,652
On a more positive note...got my X5 back .....and now to load up my Star Trek Theme .......woo hooo

How's the wheel working? Notice an improvement?

Make sure to grab the 2.5 babes version. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back