The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #16,906 of 19,652
I use a dedicated 2 gig card for that formatted in FAT32. I have to swap cards, but that doesn't bother me. 4 firmware updates in 8 months... maybe cost me 2 minutes.
My comments were aimed at copying and playing music, not the occasional (for me) firmware update.

That's the way to go of course. My comment was just for clarification as some users get confused when using exFAT and wonder why they can't upgrade FW. Of course reading the manual would avoid such issues. :D

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #16,908 of 19,652
Never had an issue with FAT32, don't have files over 4GB, and I can keep x5.fw on TF1 just in case..,

Me either. I just format with the X5, load music and forget it. Simple. Works like a charm and have had zero issues.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #16,909 of 19,652
Yeah, despite the "warning" not to use a large micro SD card for updating, or using one with files on it, i've used my 64GB card since the beginning (and this very same one as well on the X3)

No problems at all. Fat32 file format of course.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #16,910 of 19,652
Yeah, despite the "warning" not to use a large micro SD card for updating, or using one with files on it, i've used my 64GB card since the beginning (and this very same one as well on the X3)

Actually I forgot the recommendation to use an empty card and updated via TF1 full of music files several times – without any problems.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #16,911 of 19,652
I just got a 128gb PNY on sale for $30 in the mail today. I can't be happier!! I'm kind of concerned with the battery life though but I will update when I test it a bit more. What's weird is that it didn't detect it with exfat so I changed it to NTFS and it worked. I did upgrade the firmware to the latest one posted.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #16,917 of 19,652

I too.  Just curious if there were any advantages beyond FAT32.  NTFS now; that might be a way to go.  I was thinking of smaller cluster sizes to squeeze a wee bit more onto my cards.  They're 128GBs so it might help.  Just thinking out loud.

ntfs is awfull for microsd technology, it uses more write cycles in general. Flash based memory is best with fat32 in general, as it wears it the least. You cannot squeeze with more than around 100-200mb in plus compared to what you can right now. Cluster size is something to consider only if you have really big clusters and really small files, like having 4mb cluster, and less than 50mb files. but with usual cluster size, of 32kb by default, you could not save more than 100 MB in a 128gb card, so not worth it.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #16,918 of 19,652
  ntfs is awfull for microsd technology, it uses more write cycles in general. Flash based memory is best with fat32 in general, as it wears it the least. You cannot squeeze with more than around 100-200mb in plus compared to what you can right now. Cluster size is something to consider only if you have really big clusters and really small files, like having 4mb cluster, and less than 50mb files. but with usual cluster size, of 32kb by default, you could not save more than 100 MB in a 128gb card, so not worth it.

Thanks for that.  Explains everything. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #16,919 of 19,652

I see that you use a X5 combo with your GR10 which is a very sensitive IEM that not really need an amp, or is the reason to gain more bass? I still not decided which way to go,as I am intrested in the ZX1 as well, but they are limited on 128GB, and due to the sound character will probably only work fine with my IE80. On the X5 I can use two 128GB cards right?The difference in sound will be minimal I guess, so the storage might be my biggest motivation to go for an X5.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #16,920 of 19,652
^^^ Nice! How many total GB you rockin' in your X5 now?

Eager to hear how it impacts battery life. I tried an OTG adapter with my DX90, and it sucked the battery life down twice as fast as normal
blink.gif

Have 1 microsd right now at 64gb and the 2nd one is in the mail. I was gonna buy this later but I wasn't sure if the price for the PNY was there to stay so I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back