The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #16,741 of 19,652
  E12A sounds even better.

The wheel on X3K is totally different, another world. it is solid, and turns exactly 1 selection per thing under it. Totally different. Probably if x5II will also have wheel it is going to turn this way too.

I have to disagree with this.  I spent a week reviewing the X3 2nd Generation and after noticing the nice clicks, this was one of my expectations that the X3 2nd Generation just didn't live up to.  Unless my unit was a fluke, one click unfortunately does not equal one line movement. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #16,742 of 19,652

I have to disagree with this.  I spent a week reviewing the X3 2nd Generation and after noticing the nice clicks, this was one of my expectations that the X3 2nd Generation just didn't live up to.  Unless my unit was a fluke, one click unfortunately does not equal one line movement. 

I actually noticed the same "slippage" issue during my review time. Didn't write it into my review, but it was there.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #16,744 of 19,652
Trust me, you don't want underpowered DAP chips doing this in addition to trying to play your music with the highest SQ possible...

It's just another GUI element.
Basically somewhere in the code it says "cover.jpg" "location_y:8" "width:400“

In laymens' terms: it's right below the status bar, with a set width equal to the width of the screen.

Considering all my album art is 500x500, it already downscales the image, so it'd be little extra work to have it appear differently on screen.

I'm hoping this is something Fiio can correct in later firmware or in later DAPs.  It would make using the scroll wheel just that much better! 

Yes most definitely. FiiO once said they would try to fix the issue on the X5 via software, but i never noticed it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #16,745 of 19,652
I have a portable DAB radio with a wheel. One click does not equal one line on that either. I wonder if the issue is with the wheel rather than the software and the "clicker" is independent of the signal on the wheel.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #16,746 of 19,652
Maybe I'm wrong CH23. I am indeed a layman, so it could my misunderstanding of how such things work. I do know that I was an early adopter of Fiio DAPs and took part in discussions trying to help people troubleshoot issues such as stuttering and skipping which were resolved once they downsized or removed embedded album art. I'd just hate to see more graphics scaling features added that might compromise music playback.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #16,747 of 19,652
Maybe I'm wrong CH23. I am indeed a layman, so it could my misunderstanding of how such things work. I do know that I was an early adopter of Fiio DAPs and took part in discussions trying to help people troubleshoot issues such as stuttering and skipping which were resolved once they downsized or removed embedded album art. I'd just hate to see more graphics scaling features added that might compromise music playback.

You're absolutely right, the downscaling does take processing power, making the graphics lag for a moment. That's why i went for 500x500, and one image per folder.

But the difference between scaling it down to 400px or say 350 shouldn't be a big difference. It lags either way.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #16,748 of 19,652
Maybe I'm wrong @CH23. I am indeed a layman, so it could my misunderstanding of how such things work. I do know that I was an early adopter of Fiio DAPs and took part in discussions trying to help people troubleshoot issues such as stuttering and skipping which were resolved once they downsized or removed embedded album art. I'd just hate to see more graphics scaling features added that might compromise music playback.

I would expect the larger album art images (initially limited to 2MB on the X3, possibly still at that same limit) to have simply take more system resources to load and scale (read time, memory usage). Therefore smaller album art images would be easier to process.

I have also a question for X3 and X5 owners. I currently have an X3, but find the sound signature too dark for me. Therefore I was looking to either the X5 (which is still warmish apparently, but perhaps within my tolerance band around neutrality). However, after trying the v3.x firmware on my X3, I have some reservations about the newer GUI, that I hope are not the same in the X5 as well.

Some background: I usually load only the songs that I like onto an SD card and then simply use the "play all" option to browse the music. The original v2.1 firmware for the X3 works fine for this.

The v3.x firmware works for this as well, but I find that the icons instead of text, while looking slick and smooth, really reduce the overview of the GUI. I can see the icons and with time I would probably learn what they'd stand for and wouldn't need to look at the top line of the screen to see what each icon actually means, but it seems to me that such large icons are intended for touchscreens and it seems not to work so well without a touch screen. Think Windows 8 on a desktop PC - it just adds extra clicks and obfuscation.

Also, I'd have prefered it if the radial menu (for setting gain, deleting a file, setting playback mode, etc. during playback) was static and the cursor moved, so that I'd only have to memorise the desired locations of the cursor without having to try and figure out which icon is supposed to depict what. Again, I think the simple textline interface was clearer and more easy to work with.

But all of these interface niggles I could have worked with if only the "play all" playlist would actually update to the location of the currently playing song if I press back/return when the screen is on the now playing song. Instead, it just stayed at the location at which it was when I last browsed through it. Which is pretty annoying, but would have been less so if there was an option for faster scrolling. As it was, I just reverted to the v2.1 firmware.

Anyway, TL;DR: I'm not that fond of the icon-based GUI and the lack of updating the playlist location in the playlist to the current song is a deal breaker for me. So can anyone assuage me that the GUI is handled better in the X5 (or any FiiO DAP since the X5, really)?

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #16,749 of 19,652

I am totally sorry, i had not noticed this, or ignored if it happened. so even though the wheel clicks nice and firm, it spins like a x5 wheel. This is so funny!

I think i understand why this is happening. IT is because a click does not mean one impulse, clicks are there to stop the wheel from spinning freele, and give a feedback, not for measuring implulses. 

What fiio tried to do is to reduce or enlarge impulse and what it translates. My sincere opinion is that it would be possible with a very complicated algorithm, but it would take processor power, and might make the entire dap laggy.

Second impression is that the wheels themselves need another impulse and feedback registration method.

When I compared to many other amplifiers the SQ gain from having the E12 was rather small compared to the other amplifiers. 

To each their own....

(also... I didn't have a chance to extensively audition the Chord Hugo, but I personally wasn't floored / impressed / shocked by its SQ, so I don't know if it should be held as a golden standard)

personally, i consider hugo to be the only standard possible, it is the best device in any price class, affirmation based on technical data and technology used in it, not only in how it sounds.

I would expect the larger album art images (initially limited to 2MB on the X3, possibly still at that same limit) to have simply take more system resources to load and scale (read time, memory usage). Therefore smaller album art images would be easier to process.

I have also a question for X3 and X5 owners. I currently have an X3, but find the sound signature too dark for me. Therefore I was looking to either the X5 (which is still warmish apparently, but perhaps within my tolerance band around neutrality). However, after trying the v3.x firmware on my X3, I have some reservations about the newer GUI, that I hope are not the same in the X5 as well.

Some background: I usually load only the songs that I like onto an SD card and then simply use the "play all" option to browse the music. The original v2.1 firmware for the X3 works fine for this.

The v3.x firmware works for this as well, but I find that the icons instead of text, while looking slick and smooth, really reduce the overview of the GUI. I can see the icons and with time I would probably learn what they'd stand for and wouldn't need to look at the top line of the screen to see what each icon actually means, but it seems to me that such large icons are intended for touchscreens and it seems not to work so well without a touch screen. Think Windows 8 on a desktop PC - it just adds extra clicks and obfuscation.

Also, I'd have prefered it if the radial menu (for setting gain, deleting a file, setting playback mode, etc. during playback) was static and the cursor moved, so that I'd only have to memorise the desired locations of the cursor without having to try and figure out which icon is supposed to depict what. Again, I think the simple textline interface was clearer and more easy to work with.

But all of these interface niggles I could have worked with if only the "play all" playlist would actually update to the location of the currently playing song if I press back/return when the screen is on the now playing song. Instead, it just stayed at the location at which it was when I last browsed through it. Which is pretty annoying, but would have been less so if there was an option for faster scrolling. As it was, I just reverted to the v2.1 firmware.

Anyway, TL;DR: I'm not that fond of the icon-based GUI and the lack of updating the playlist location in the playlist to the current song is a deal breaker for me. So can anyone assuage me that the GUI is handled better in the X5 (or any FiiO DAP since the X5, really)?

x5 has custom UIs that alter how it looks. if you have a chance to test this thing, most of them are pretty awesome!

While it does change only looks, sometimes it also changes functionality, for example modern simplicity has one screen, with most icons around a circle, and with text and icon too.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #16,750 of 19,652
  Trust me, you don't want underpowered DAP chips doing this in addition to trying to play your music with the highest SQ possible...

Rockbox has provided a fully customisable Gui on a variety of DAPs using chips with far less power than we have today.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #16,751 of 19,652
Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, there is a new firmware available for the X5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/piaa7l1x9flrpg1/X5%20FW2.50.zip?dl=0.

The changelog is as follows:

• Support for exFAT-formatted microSD cards;
  • Fixed issue where changing tracks through Favorites easily caused hangups;
  • Fixed issue where the sleep timer does not remember its last setting;
  • Fixed issue where certain tracks from certain CUE files could not be played or displayed;
  • Fixed issue where if different tracks are tagged with the same artist, with the same spelling but different capitalization, the tracks where the tagged artist name is non-capitalized could not be displayed;
  • Numerous other bug fixes.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #16,752 of 19,652
Thank you! I have no issues with my X5, but will update it nonetheless.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #16,753 of 19,652
Rockbox has provided a fully customisable Gui on a variety of DAPs using chips with far less power than we have today.

True, but Rockbox has been in development for many years and has (I'm guessing here) had a lot more eyes on the code being an open source project.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #16,754 of 19,652
is it me or have they made the scrollwheel snappier/better with fw 2.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back