The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #16,591 of 19,652
  Does anyone know if you can use this like a hard drive, when attached to your computer?

What I ideally want to do is have all of my music on the X5, spread over 2 sd cards, then when plugged into my computer I want to use MusicBee as my audio player and play the files directly off the X5. At the moment I carry an external drive around with me, which has all my music on, so this would be a nicer solution.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find the answer if it has.

if you are using x5 in memory mode, you cannot use it in DAC mode. this is pretty important to remember, but considering the size of microsd cards, you can buy very cheap microsd to usb adapters, and use them this way.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #16,592 of 19,652
Ah that's a shame, but not a deal breaker. I already have Fiio E7, so can just use that as my DAC. Or like you said just take them out and use them in a usb adapter.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #16,594 of 19,652
I just upgraded to x5 from my x3, eventually! The reason I decide to do so is the fact that x5 support 2 micro SD card, up to 256G, and even OTG to portable hard drive!!! After I got x5, the first impression was the resolution, much much much better than x3, which provided more details to fill the huge field of my pk1 EarPods, but you need an amp to drive it though. W4r works with my x5, but I feel the sound is not bright, especially for piano. Then I got this baby ie800, perfect with x5. I have to say the engineer who designed ie800 is a genius!!! Faboulous sound! I recommend everyone get one, though its cable is a little bit annoying.

One thing I don't like about x5 is there seems to have problem with the firmware. Some songs will jump a little bit at beginning, don't know why, this never happened on my old x3. Anyone can help?

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #16,598 of 19,652
I have to say the engineer who designed ie800 is a genius!!! Faboulous sound! I recommend everyone get one, though its cable is a little bit annoying.

I agree, it sounds great (with massive equalizing, though). I wouldn't call the cable «a bit annoying», I have a hard time understanding how the people at Sennheiser could attach a cable stiff like a steel wire to it, with corresponding «microphonics», which moreover is 5-10 cm too short at both ends (almost impossible to wear over the ears, annoying with some jacket pockets).

One thing I don't like about x5 is there seems to have problem with the firmware. Some songs will jump a little bit at beginning, don't know why, this never happened on my old x3. Anyone can help?

Just yesterday my X5 skipped to the next song in the middle of a specific song. The corresponding Flac file played fine on Foobar. After I replaced it with the same Flac file from the computer, it played without skipping. It was the first time since I have it, though.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #16,600 of 19,652
  if you are using x5 in memory mode, you cannot use it in DAC mode. this is pretty important to remember, but considering the size of microsd cards, you can buy very cheap microsd to usb adapters, and use them this way.

Moreover, it would be rather strange to play music from the X5's memory cards through the computer and from there back through the X5's DAC while you could play them directly from the X5.
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #16,602 of 19,652

Moreover, it would be rather strange to play music from the X5's memory cards through the computer and from there back through the X5's DAC while you could play them directly from the X5.
cool.gif

Yeah I just like having the media controls on my keyboard to skip tracks etc and browsing through my library on MusicBee. It would have been nice to make use of the DAC whilst doing this, but no big deal.

I have just pulled the trigger and ordered the X5, should get it tomorrow, so looking forward to giving it a whirl. 
L3000.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #16,603 of 19,652

Yeah I just like having the media controls on my keyboard to skip tracks etc and browsing through my library on MusicBee. It would have been nice to make use of the DAC whilst doing this, but no big deal.
I have just pulled the trigger and ordered the X5, should get it tomorrow, so looking forward to giving it a whirl. 
L3000.gif

I really like it, and I'm confident you will, too. It plays my whole music collection through a Chord Hugo – as my home system.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,604 of 19,652

L3000.gif

a bit of advice though, you will love x5 better than anything else from fiio.

what you can do is use x5 alone to play music, and connect it to a phone charger with usb, as long as phone charger is lower or the same as 2A. 

then, you can take advantage of files in the microsd cards and take advantage of x5's superb DAC.

I really like it, and I'm confident you will, too. It plays my whole music collection through a Chord Hugo – as my home system.

I want really bad to get a hugo, after truly understanding what the FIR taps in hugo are. sadly i do not have the money now... you can check full explanation in hugo thread.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #16,605 of 19,652
I recently upgraded to FW 2.4 from 2.2 and have been experiencing the following problem: some of my tracks are not playing at all and some are skipping automatically at a certain point(regardless of resolution). It occasionally freezes after skipping a song. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back