The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #16,576 of 19,652

Many 70 ties recordings have this altough remastered.

I did at first, but some of it may have been the recordings themselves...not sure. I use low gain setting on the X5 with the W40's and normally get great results. Most of the time now I use the X5 with the E12A and have no noise issues at all...but like I said, the hiss with the X5 alone may have been from the albums I was listening to. Try different recordings and see if the noise floor is much lower on better recordings. Good luck!

why di you uses an extern amp with your X5? Hard to imagine it can make a difference, and nit easy to get in your shirts pocket:blush:

There are indeed those who feel it makes a small but significant improvement over the X5 alone, my self among them, although only with a brief listen and that was with the standard E12 not the E12A, so I need some more time to make sure. Not everyone agrees however and the whole topic of using an outboard amp, of any brand, with the X5 has been a hot topic of some contention throughout this thread, off and on. FiiO makes and markets a special stacking kit specifically for using the X5 with an E12. Still I would agree that this would be a somewhat bulky package to tote around. Many seem to feel that the X5, on it's own, is too bulky and too heavy for portable use. My opinion on that is that these people have simply been spoiled by some ultra compact and light devices form the likes of Apple and others.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #16,577 of 19,652
why di you uses an extern amp with your X5? Hard to imagine it can make a difference, and nit easy to get in your shirts pocket:blush:

The X5 sounds great on its own, but in my opinion, with my headphones and IEM's it sounds better (more spacious etc) when using its LO to the E12A. Rather than putting the pair with the FiiO stacking kit in my pocket I simply slip them into a small camera case that I wear on my belt that's easy to access whenever necessary. I've tried the more powerful E12 with the X5, but I found it too noisy to use with my Westone's though it does sound very nice when used to drive the HE-500's. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #16,578 of 19,652
i have this question

now i have been testing something hqplayer, which adds fir or iir taps by dsp, and makes music even better when using x5 as a DAC, but it is a paid application, and looks ugly, and works buggy, even though on SQ wise it is a winner.

anybody knows any better sounding application for listening to music in windows envoirment?

i have to say that hqplayer with correct over-re-sampling settings makes foobar look like a weak app.

i want to fiind something free, that can add fir or iir taps by dsp-ing music, and using fiio x5 as DAC in the system.

or, at least, if anybody has a list, post it with most used apps, and i will listen to them myself, but i cannot fiind a list of very popular software for listening to music in windows.

i remember hqplayer, winamp, foobar, jriver... what else is out there that sounds better or as good as hqplayer?

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #16,579 of 19,652
  i have this question

now i have been testing something hqplayer, which adds fir or iir taps by dsp, and makes music even better when using x5 as a DAC, but it is a paid application, and looks ugly, and works buggy, even though on SQ wise it is a winner.

anybody knows any better sounding application for listening to music in windows envoirment?

i have to say that hqplayer with correct over-re-sampling settings makes foobar look like a weak app.

i want to fiind something free, that can add fir or iir taps by dsp-ing music, and using fiio x5 as DAC in the system.

or, at least, if anybody has a list, post it with most used apps, and i will listen to them myself, but i cannot fiind a list of very popular software for listening to music in windows.

i remember hqplayer, winamp, foobar, jriver... what else is out there that sounds better or as good as hqplayer?

This is described as an "upsampling multichannel audio player", so you would need at least 3 X5s used as DACs to get the benefit from it.

I would leave it well alone and invest your money in high quality recordings. You may not be polishing turds, just rolling them in glitter...
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #16,580 of 19,652

This is described as an "upsampling multichannel audio player", so you would need at least 3 X5s used as DACs to get the benefit from it.

I would leave it well alone and invest your money in high quality recordings. You may not be polishing turds, just rolling them in glitter...
biggrin.gif

i finally found it.

chord hugo is known for it's oversampling and upsampling algorytm using fir taps.. hqplayer is able to use some kind of algorythms similar to fir taps used in hugo, and even fir and iir taps, which i had not been able to start in it for some reason, i still have to play with settings..

i think that i has not expressed exactly what i was searching for, i wanted to fiind fir tap oversampling and resampling software. seems like foobar cannot have fir taps tech, but sinc and cubic resampling, which are great. now i just have to fiind fir or iir tapping...

but it is all useless, i had found resampling technology to use with foobar2000. it works like magic.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #16,581 of 19,652
  i finally found it.

chord hugo is known for it's oversampling and upsampling algorytm using fir taps.. hqplayer is able to use some kind of algorythms similar to fir taps used in hugo, and even fir and iir taps, which i had not been able to start in it for some reason, i still have to play with settings..

i think that i has not expressed exactly what i was searching for, i wanted to fiind fir tap oversampling and resampling software. seems like foobar cannot have fir taps tech, but sinc and cubic resampling, which are great. now i just have to fiind fir or iir tapping...

but it is all useless, i had found resampling technology to use with foobar2000. it works like magic.

Curious, what did you find?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #16,582 of 19,652

Curious, what did you find?

multiresampler and sox resampler.

i had what to play with. 

now back to searching for an option to implement fir tap or iir tap into software for playing music. theoretically i should be able to implement fir or iir in something dsp based into processor.

i managed to use multiresampler with sinc function to escape the distortions i was talking about when listening to metallica.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #16,583 of 19,652
Is there a way to add an album to the current playlist on the fly in the x5? For example, playing album A I would like to add album B right in behind so there is continuous playing.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #16,584 of 19,652
I just wanted to pop in here to mention how invaluable my X5 was at CanJam.  I'm really happy with all the functionality this little guy provides.  I used it as a source when testing everything:  headphones (via headphone out), amps (via line out) and DACs (via coax out).  I brought cables with me so I could use it for everything.  And it held all my music so I could test with track I know.

At the end of a LONG day on Saturday, I still had 50% battery left!  

This thing is great, glad I decided on the Fiio.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #16,585 of 19,652
  There are indeed those who feel it makes a small but significant improvement over the X5 alone, my self among them, although only with a brief listen and that was with the standard E12 not the E12A, so I need some more time to make sure. Not everyone agrees however and the whole topic of using an outboard amp, of any brand, with the X5 has been a hot topic of some contention throughout this thread, off and on. FiiO makes and markets a special stacking kit specifically for using the X5 with an E12. Still I would agree that this would be a somewhat bulky package to tote around. Many seem to feel that the X5, on it's own, is too bulky and too heavy for portable use. My opinion on that is that these people have simply been spoiled by some ultra compact and light devices form the likes of Apple and others.

I don´t mind the size, I am just intrested in what make sense and what not specially with the coming of the X7, and it´s expected price of 700 Euro. When counting together the price of the X5/ E12A and the two microcards, than I spend about the same,.Not an easy task to decide 
etysmile.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #16,586 of 19,652
Does anyone know if you can use this like a hard drive, when attached to your computer?

What I ideally want to do is have all of my music on the X5, spread over 2 sd cards, then when plugged into my computer I want to use MusicBee as my audio player and play the files directly off the X5. At the moment I carry an external drive around with me, which has all my music on, so this would be a nicer solution.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find the answer if it has.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #16,587 of 19,652
  Does anyone know if you can use this like a hard drive, when attached to your computer?

What I ideally want to do is have all of my music on the X5, spread over 2 sd cards, then when plugged into my computer I want to use MusicBee as my audio player and play the files directly off the X5. At the moment I carry an external drive around with me, which has all my music on, so this would be a nicer solution.

Yes, the X5 does show up as two drives – one for each slot. It doesn't have an internal memory. You could also insert its MicroSDXC cards in a card reader.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #16,588 of 19,652

Yes, the X5 does show up as two drives – one for each slot. It doesn't have an internal memory. You could also insert its MicroSDXC cards in a card reader.

Thanks for the reply JaZZ. One more question if you don't mind. Can you put the music files in any folder structure you like and does the X5 retain that structure? It doesn't do any auto rearranging and sorting for you does it?

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #16,589 of 19,652
Yes to all, no problem. And it's like two HD drives from the computer's perspective.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #16,590 of 19,652
Awesome, thanks for the help mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back