The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 23, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #16,351 of 19,652

Isn't the X3 II's EQ the same as the X5's? (Apart from the fact that it doesn't work through line and digital out.)

Sorry JaZZ - having a bad keyboard day

But if you want best SQ - and you won't need an amp - then X5 definitely.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #16,352 of 19,652
There's supposed to be the X5 2nd gen coming in the next few months if you can wait.
On another note, can someone reccomend a 5V/2A power supply?  Couldn't find one on Amazon.

Apple!

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #16,353 of 19,652
Hi guys! Got a question about the line-out from x5, Is it supposed to sound louder/cleaner as opposed to headphone out? I tried both today in my car via aux in and could not hear any difference except for the volume control I get with HO. on LO it was like it was already set at 120 Volume.

Just wondering if any one of the port is better for car aux in haha. There was no clipping with line out but maybe slightly less bass not sure if even that.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #16,354 of 19,652
Hi guys! Got a question about the line-out from x5, Is it supposed to sound louder/cleaner as opposed to headphone out? I tried both today in my car via aux in and could not hear any difference except for the volume control I get with HO. on LO it was like it was already set at 120 Volume.

Just wondering if any one of the port is better for car aux in haha. There was no clipping with line out but maybe slightly less bass not sure if even that.

Line out is the signal without an amplifier inbetween, headphone out uses the internal amplifier.

Line out should be good, but really it depends on what you think sounds best.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #16,355 of 19,652
Line out is the signal without an amplifier inbetween, headphone out uses the internal amplifier.

Line out should be good, but really it depends on what you think sounds best.

Yes I guess line-out it is then haha. Might do few more tests on different music with both ports. LO does seem a little clean though.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #16,356 of 19,652

Either is good enough for car audio.
Main difference is the Line Out is fixed level (as you noticed), the headphone out is variable (as you also noticed).
Other than that, the headphone amp signal should be so clean you should not really notice any difference between HO and LO.
If you do, then it can't be a very good headphone amp!

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #16,357 of 19,652
Other than that, the headphone amp signal should be so clean you should not really notice any difference between HO and LO.
If you do, then it can't be a very good headphone amp!

I don't share your standpoint that «good» amps all sound the same. I've heard a lot which I would call «good» (as well as others), and all sounded different.

That said, I find the headphone out of the X5 quite good. It's rather the line out which is just so-so in my book. Of course it can't be worse than the headphone out, the reason is that in this mode it has to compete with my full-fledged DACs.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #16,358 of 19,652
I don't share your standpoint that «good» amps all sound the same. I've heard a lot which I would call «good» (as well as others), and all sounded different.

That said, I find the headphone out of the X5 quite good. It's rather the line out which is just so-so in my book. Of course it can't be worse than the headphone out, the reason is that in this mode it has to compete with my full-fledged DACs.

Er....response deleted.....:)

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #16,359 of 19,652
You disagree with everything I say so why should I care what you think.
And you're also twisting my words.
You're blocked!
rolleyes.gif

Sorry if I offended you in any way! I'm really not aware to disagree with you on a regular basis. There's nothing else I can say.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #16,360 of 19,652
Well, to respond to what Akroma is trying to find out about, the line out should be a little bit cleaner than the headphone out, since there's no volume control in the circuit. There is an amplifier, just no volume control. In the noisy environment of a car, it shouldn't make a big difference, but you might as well use the line out, since you've got the convenience of the volume control on your radio, and maybe on your steering wheel as well. What the line out is really for is when you're hooking the X5 up to a stereo or a headphone amp that you're using in a quiet environment for critical listening. Then you might well hear the difference between the two outputs.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #16,361 of 19,652
The line out bypasses the amplifier section and uses full power from the DAC. By bypassing the amp the signal should be cleaner but YMMV.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #16,362 of 19,652
I'm no electronics whiz but it seems counter-intuitive that that DAC output would have more power than the line out.  Cleaner I would understand but doesn't the amp amplify?  Please explain.

BTW, in my experience with my car and with powered desk monitors the line-out sounds better than the headphone out, but with good IEMs the headphone out sounds just great. Not sure why.

I would use the line out.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #16,363 of 19,652
I'm no electronics whiz but it seems counter-intuitive that that DAC output would have more power than the line out.  Cleaner I would understand but doesn't the amp amplify?  Please explain.

BTW, in my experience with my car and with powered desk monitors the line-out sounds better than the headphone out, but with good IEMs the headphone out sounds just great. Not sure why.

DAC output is line out. Line out is DAC output.

Yes amps amplify and attenuate. DACs send the full signal power to the amp. Line out sends the signal from the DAC and bypasses the amp.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #16,364 of 19,652

DAC chip outputs are typically current sources and usually need a current to voltage conversion to allow them to drive a line output.
This would be followed by a volume control that then drives a very small power amp (the headphone amplifier).
This explanation is over-simplified, but close enough.

Line outs really just provide voltage (and a negligible amount of current), they are designed to drive very high impedance loads, like the input to a pre-amp or a power amp.

Headphone amps are designed to drive low impedance loads, so need to be able to provide more current than a line out.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #16,365 of 19,652
Thanks. Understood. Both good explanations.  Forgot that the line-outs are feeding a much higher input impedance and only need to supply voltage to feed a pre-amp/amp.  I think I knew that 30 years ago.  Now i just listen to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back