The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #15,616 of 19,652
about to take the plunge and get the X5, just to be sure, would like to ask some stuff about it thanks in advance :)

1. if i have two 128gb cards, it can read them as a single library only right? so its like having a 256gb player?
2. can i use it as dac/amp for my android phone? or iphone using the apple camera connector? (was hoping to improve sound from spotify)
3. can the X5 play songs from an external drive?

thanks guys :)

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #15,618 of 19,652
Never mind, I figured it out.
Conclusion:
File under "a complete waste of time".

I'll have to settle for the X5's own Playlist function.

It works pretty well.

Create a playlist in foobar, rightclick, export as playlist, filetype m3u8.

Open the file with notepad, add #exm3u to the top of the file.
If you use 2 micro SD cards, for the moment, cut the text from all that are on the 2nd one.
Now find and replace the drive letter (D://) for TF1:// (there's a function in notepad that makes this possible)

Now paste the text and do the same fir this, but with TF2://

now put the playlist on the X5, and you're done.

As of firmware 2.36 it was possible to do without the EXTM3U line and relative pathing worked as long as you save the playlist file on the root folder of the card. I.e. you could fill a playlist with only songs from the same card, export it to an m3u8 playlist to the root folder of the same card, and that playlist would be good to go without any modification.

The EXTM3U line is required again on firmware 2.40 for some reason :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #15,619 of 19,652
about to take the plunge and get the X5, just to be sure, would like to ask some stuff about it thanks in advance :)

1. if i have two 128gb cards, it can read them as a single library only right? so its like having a 256gb player?
2. can i use it as dac/amp for my android phone? or iphone using the apple camera connector? (was hoping to improve sound from spotify)
3. can the X5 play songs from an external drive?

thanks guys :)

1. Yes
2. Some people experimenting with this have reported success, but this is not an official feature of the X5.
3. "Maybe". The X5 has limited USB OTG support. You're welcome to plug a drive to the X5 using an OTG cable, it may work (or may not :xf_eek: ), depending on the particular drive in question.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 9, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #15,621 of 19,652
Hi, I tried some AAC (m4a) files for the first time on both 2.36b and 2.4 firmwares.
Gapless playback on them didn't work in any of my tests.
Does gapless playback even work on m4a files? They play gaplessly on all my other devices. Has it ever worked on X5/will it?

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #15,622 of 19,652
Hi, I tried some AAC (m4a) files for the first time on both 2.36b and 2.4 firmwares.
Gapless playback on them didn't work in any of my tests.
Does gapless playback even work on m4a files? They play gaplessly on all my other devices. Has it ever worked on X5/will it?

Gapless works just fine with my .aac and .alac files on my X5, and they have for pretty much every FW I've used except FW 1.0. You do have Gapless turned on in playback settings right?

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #15,624 of 19,652

Curious. You've also done an update of the library? Other than that it could be the album art is too large (500x500 works well), or its hanging up on some tags, or the card was not formatted with the X5 format option in the settings. That's all I can think of.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #15,625 of 19,652
Yeah, I did the library over a couple of times. I have the same albums on there in FLAC with the same art and they're fine. The only difference is the file format (encoded from same flacks for the test) and it breaks the gapless playback on these firmware versions.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #15,626 of 19,652
It works pretty well.

Create a playlist in foobar, rightclick, export as playlist, filetype m3u8.

Open the file with notepad, add #exm3u to the top of the file.
If you use 2 micro SD cards, for the moment, cut the text from all that are on the 2nd one.
Now find and replace the drive letter (D://) for TF1:// (there's a function in notepad that makes this possible)

Now paste the text and do the same fir this, but with TF2://

now put the playlist on the X5, and you're done.

Actually it's a major pain in the butt!

The X5's built in playlist is far easier to deal with. YMMV!

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #15,627 of 19,652
Gapless also doesn't work for me using the latest firmware, two sandisk 128 cards, FLAC files exclusively. A real pain when listening to classical or live albums. Updated the library but typically listen in folder view as there are far fewer tagging errors and other problems at least for me). This could be my lack of familiarity with the library system and how to properly set up and stems somewhat from the max files issue which has been corrected. Just find that there are some files that don't show up and track names don't always translate correctly.

Assuming that gapless doesn't work when listening in folder view?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #15,628 of 19,652
Just checked Simon and Garfunkel's "Live At Central Park" album, FW 2.4, lossless 16/44.1 FLAC (originally 24/96 transcoded to redbook).  Used both folder view and also via tags.  No issues with gapless and it is completley seamless.

You guys having issues:
  • Are you sure your actual recording is gapless?
  • Do you have gapless option turned on?
  • You haven't got something like random turned on?

Gapless definitely working without fault on this X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back