The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #14,822 of 19,652
Seriously, why don't you sell your X5 and buy an iPod, bro? That seems to be what you judge X5 against, so just go get one.

I already have two iPods, from 2003. Perfectly working scroll wheel. It amazes me how you sycophants excuse problems that shouldn't even exist. I don't like kissing the ass of a company because they offer great SQ. That doesn't excuse the other problems. There is always room for improvement. Crap scroll wheel is almost a deal breaker for me in this thing, (along with terrible battery life) and I'm sure for a lot of other people who don't bother to post in x5 threads anymore because they already sold it and moved on to another thread. I am in the midst of buyer remorse, looking for an answer to why this CRAP scroll wheel was considered acceptable as part of the final design. It takes up considerable real estate on the front, certainly not a hidden feature, yet, it reacts like someone with Alzheimer's. No one has answered, including James himself. I'm just curious as to how this got past testing in a $400 player, currently their FLAGSHIP. Maybe I have to wait until x7 to get a properly working scroll wheel. $700 should allow the extra testing time...oh wait...x7 doesn't have scroll wheel. There's my answer: Fiio realized they don't have the tech to make scroll wheels and have decided to go full screen.

Anyone who thinks that it is easy, or fun, or fast, to constantly remove the silicone case, pry cards from stubborn sd covers, just to transfer music....:joy:

This is why I liked the OTG aspect. Considerably faster and easier to use it this way. unfortunately, Fiio included it and decided not to support OTG properly. They even left it up to the customer to randomly figure out which usb sticks would actually function. This is supremely lame. Did someone actually equate tying shoes with the speed of transferring music on the x5? Wow.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #14,823 of 19,652
wow , i find this as an amazing solution to each problem a user faces with his x5 ..

really awesome !!

Not every problem, just ones that really are more of a consumer choice than an issue. Especially when that problem comes and goes depending on the mood of the poster.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #14,824 of 19,652

The X5 isn't perfect. The UI is pretty good when you accept its limitations.  It has great SQ. Most of us find it very usable, and also pretty portable.

What I've read from almost everyone of your posts is that it doesn't suit your idea of what should work.

I've got news for you that should be apparent :)
It's unlikely that there will be a scroll wheel solution which will meet your needs (ie Fiio's mechanical scroll wheel won't change into Apple's patented non mechanical one). Its not going to magically get a change in form factor to make it more portable. The slots for the micro SD cards are probably not going to change - and a lot of us like them the way they are. The UI will probably get some nice upgrades along the way - but its unlikely to ever be at Apple's standard. The battery life is what it is - and even if they can make improvements in fw releases, you're unlikely to see what you would call usable (personally I'm OK with 9-11 hours, YMMV).

In short - you bought the wrong DAP.  Sell it.  You'll be happier.  We'll certainly be a lot happier.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #14,825 of 19,652
  Nope. I just tested out with a MP3 and a FLAC using MP3tag (ID3v2) and both showed up under the single tag of "Rock; Rock - 1970s"

Damn, not what I was hoping for. Thank you very much for testing that out for me.

Actually, I just had a thought. Some players can delimit in other ways. Could you also try using a '/' and a comma please?

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #14,826 of 19,652
I live in a world of dust, sand and grit, so I really don't have a complaint about the card slot covers. My complaint is that my 160g iPod could be spun through the entire collection in under a minute and the X5 takes over an hour just to get from A to M. My thumbs hurt. Who could have ever thought that they were designing something adequate here?  If you have 100 albums, it's probably OK but I have 2200+ and if I had 256g chips (and I will, someday) the problem will be twice as bad. This essentially makes the Category view totally unusable.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #14,827 of 19,652
  I live in a world of dust, sand and grit, so I really don't have a complaint about the card slot covers. My complaint is that my 160g iPod could be spun through the entire collection in under a minute and the X5 takes over an hour just to get from A to M. My thumbs hurt. Who could have ever thought that they were designing something adequate here?  If you have 100 albums, it's probably OK but I have 2200+ and if I had 256g chips (and I will, someday) the problem will be twice as bad. This essentially makes the Category view totally unusable.

Re-organize your files- there have been several posts here about it- into alpha order  and create sub-folders inside each alpha.  

I really don't think that the makers of these high-end players considered that people would be putting so many MP3s on them so as to create these issues.  As it doesn't look that way.  It may be that some MP3 users will just have to find devices that work for them better than the current crop of, at the least, the current  Fiios.  I'm not being mean or mocking, it's just that I keep seeing posts like this and don't see how a firmware fix is going to resolve this.  It would need to build-in an organizing/alpha system and I'm not sure a software fix can do that with the physical limitations of these devices.  Maybe James and Joe will surprise us all, and that will be great for all of you folks with this issue.  Otherwise, it will require you to re-organize or move on to a different player.  Just as I sold my Colorfly C3 when it didn't meet my GUI needs

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #14,828 of 19,652
corpuschain: Fiio's implementation of genre browsing isn't very usable anyway. You won't be missing much.

BubbaBob: Folder browsing with subfolders like A-C, D-F, G-I, etc. with A-M on TF1 and B-Z on TF2 would probably work best in your situation. It's what I use, and it's sped up browsing quite a bit.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #14,829 of 19,652
Hopefully at some stage they'll implement a method of fast index navigation (by letter maybe) - but in the meantime a good way of getting around it is folder view and naming root folders "A-C"' "D-F" with artist and album folders under that. I have that system set up for the 400 CDs on my X11 and it works pretty good.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #14,831 of 19,652
The wheel on my X5 works just fine, maybe someone is over thinking it! If a certain individual (not pointing fingers) does like it sell it and get on with life. Every thing made whether its 1$ or 1 million they will have something that someone does not like! Sell it and by something else like a 2400$ AK240 perhaps!

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #14,832 of 19,652
The wheel on my X5 works just fine, maybe someone is over thinking it! If a certain individual (not pointing fingers) does like it sell it and get on with life. Every thing made whether its 1$ or 1 million they will have something that someone does not like! Sell it and by something else like a 2400$ AK240 perhaps!

So it's bad to not like paying $400 for a prototype? There is a difference between say, not liking the inclusion of one sd slot instead of two, but there is nothing wrong with expecting a scroll wheel to work properly, seeing as....oh , I don't know...it's used all the time to access your music. They could have left the scroll wheel off and kept the buttons for navigation. (Which do work. Thanks Fiio!!) Maybe put a picture of grumpy cat on the front where the scroll wheel used to be.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #14,834 of 19,652
Don't most sellers have a complete 30 day no questions asked refund policy if a buyer isn't happy with their purchase? Is this different in countries other than the US?

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #14,835 of 19,652

I totally agree, and will defend to the death your right to say it!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back