The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #14,791 of 19,652
Has there been a firmware fix yet for the OTG (usb stick) always going back to root menu once you turn off the player? Getting real tired of scrolling through all the menus again in order to get back to the song I was playing.

This scroll wheel is laughable. Why did they even bother including it when it's not even accurate?

You can press and hold the top left button to bring you to the current song play screen. Do the same if you want to go to the main menu coming from the play screen.

The buttom 2 buttons also act as arrow buttons in a list. You can navigate the UI without using the scroll wheel.

I'm using the latest beta FW and I find the scroll wheel totally useable.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #14,792 of 19,652
You can press and hold the top left button to bring you to the current song play screen. Do the same if you want to go to the main menu coming from the play screen.

The buttom 2 buttons also act as arrow buttons in a list. You can navigate the UI without using the scroll wheel.

I'm using the latest beta FW and I find the scroll wheel totally useable.

Not sure what you mean with press and hold top left. My problem is that I listen to a song off the usb stick, turn off the player. After turning it on again, it should be resuming exactly where I stopped listening but the first thing I see is the main menu. I know it does not do this when using the sd cards, but OTG use always reverts back to main menu. And then I need to scroll to 'folder', then 'Otg', 'artist', 'album', 'song'. Forces me to search all over again.

I am aware you can use the buttons for scrolling. Just wondering why a $400 player has an inaccurate scroll wheel that skips every third click, sometimes every fourth, sometimes reversing. It's not even predictable on when it skips. Was this fixed in the update? is that what you mean by usable? Useable to me means it no longer skips movement at all.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #14,793 of 19,652
i'm having an ATH-IM04 with my iphone 5s now, wondering should i buy a new DAP such as X5 or upgrading the IP with a DAC/AMP such as Cayin C6 ( with WOLFSON flagship DAC chipWM8741 ).Which will bring better sound ?

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #14,794 of 19,652
Not sure what you mean with press and hold top left. My problem is that I listen to a song off the usb stick, turn off the player. After turning it on again, it should be resuming exactly where I stopped listening but the first thing I see is the main menu. I know it does not do this when using the sd cards, but OTG use always reverts back to main menu. And then I need to scroll to 'folder', then 'Otg', 'artist', 'album', 'song'. Forces me to search all over again.

I am aware you can use the buttons for scrolling. Just wondering why a $400 player has an inaccurate scroll wheel that skips every third click, sometimes every fourth, sometimes reversing. It's not even predictable on when it skips. Was this fixed in the update? is that what you mean by usable? Useable to me means it no longer skips movement at all.

FiiO has stated that OTG isn't supported for many of the features the mSD slots have. Thats the way they have implemented it. That's the way it is. OTG seems to be a rarely used item in DAPs generally.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, if you apply a slight amount of pressure as you roll the wheel it reacts much better to input. You don't need to handle it lightly. It's simply a hardware design that I don't think can be fixed with FW.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #14,795 of 19,652
FiiO has stated that OTG isn't supported for many of the features the mSD slots have. Thats the way they have implemented it. That's the way it is. OTG seems to be a rarely used item in DAPs generally.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, if you apply a slight amount of pressure as you roll the wheel it reacts much better to input. You don't need to handle it lightly. It's simply a hardware design that I don't think can be fixed with FW.

I tried the various pressures thing. Makes no difference. That too bad that they don't support it more, because once I discovered otg and that I could get one 256 GB storage stick for $80, (buy three and I have my entire collection portable) compared to $260 for two 128 micro cards, I don't even think about the sd slots anymore. Also much faster to add songs to a usb stick than searching for the cable, hooking up the x5 to pc and transferring that way.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #14,796 of 19,652
I use a card reader and it is also much faster to load songs than USB through the X5. Then again I'm not constantly loading songs all the time. I spend a lot less time loading music than I do interacting with the X5. I chose a better experience over utterly massive storage. To each their own.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #14,797 of 19,652
  i'm having an ATH-IM04 with my iphone 5s now, wondering should i buy a new DAP such as X5 or upgrading the IP with a DAC/AMP such as Cayin C6 ( with WOLFSON flagship DAC chipWM8741 ).Which will bring better sound ?

It depends what features you want and how much you want to spend.  Also, what you listen with.  The X5 is a player and will sound better by itself than the 5S.  The Cayin is an amp and will increase the sound quality (to a point) of the 5S.  Better than the X5?  I don't think so.  You will need to stack it with the 5S ((you already have a stack) while the X5 is a stand-alone player.  However, if you like iTunes and the way it organizes your music, and you are using MP3 files and are relatively happy with them, I'd recommend the Cayin.  It costs less and you won't need to reorganize your files.

However, I believe the X5 is better in sound quality than the stack you suggest, and it will play higher-res files. 

Consumer choice.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #14,798 of 19,652
I don't have a bit of an issue with the scroll wheel.  Just took a few minutes to learn to operate it with the "right" touch.  

If a scroll wheel operation is displeasing or difficult for a user, I would suggest selling the device (you can get a good price here for it) and purchasing another player that has controls more to your liking.  I sold my C3 (which had very good sound) because the controls were not to my liking.  

I don't use OTG (there's not a lot of discussion here about it, either) so can't help you with that.  although I can say that using a card reader, as x RELIX x suggests, is likely just as quick as using a stick for transfer.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #14,799 of 19,652
Hey guys, is it normal for the X5s headphone out to have audible hiss with moderately sensitive headphones/IEMs? I can hear noticeable hiss from my X5s headphone out with my Super.fi 3, which I believe are 16 Ohms and pretty sensitive. I can also hear a very slight hiss even with my RE-400 and Apple In-Ear. My X5s headphone out hisses a bit more than 1st gen Sansa Clip for example and a bit less than my Sony Walkman NWZ-A816. All three hiss a lot more than my old Samsung YP-U2 which is almost silent with my Super.fi 3s... Should I think about exchanging my X5? Is it possible that it could be fake? I mean it does sound pretty great and the hiss is not bothersome, but I read that the X5s headphone out is supposed to be silent even with very sensitive IEMs.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #14,800 of 19,652
There should not be a hiss.  My Fidues have a lot of top end and I don't hear a hiss.  

Counterfeit?  There's a number on the box it came in, enter the number in the field at Fiio's website and it will tell you if it is "real" or not.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #14,801 of 19,652
Hi all, reposting this here as it seems a more lively thread than the other one.

Does anyone know if the Fiio X5 supports semi-colon delimited genre tags?

i.e. my genres are tagged "Rock; Rock - 1970s"
In software such as mediamonkey and xbmc, this puts the song in both Rock and Rock - 1970s.

Will the X5 recognise these tags and do this?

Perhaps someone could try it out for me please? Just do this in mp3tag with a couple of songs, load them up and see what happens?

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #14,802 of 19,652
  Hi all, reposting this here as it seems a more lively thread than the other one.

Does anyone know if the Fiio X5 supports semi-colon delimited genre tags?

i.e. my genres are tagged "Rock; Rock - 1970s"
In software such as mediamonkey and xbmc, this puts the song in both Rock and Rock - 1970s.

Will the X5 recognise these tags and do this?

Perhaps someone could try it out for me please? Just do this in mp3tag with a couple of songs, load them up and see what happens?

Nope. I just tested out with a MP3 and a FLAC using MP3tag (ID3v2) and both showed up under the single tag of "Rock; Rock - 1970s"

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #14,803 of 19,652
  There should not be a hiss.  My Fidues have a lot of top end and I don't hear a hiss.  

Counterfeit?  There's a number on the box it came in, enter the number in the field at Fiio's website and it will tell you if it is "real" or not.  

Oops. I totally forgot about that number. Thanks for reminding me.
redface.gif
But anyway - I just checked and the website states that my X5 is real... So any other ideas?

Can more of you X5 owners chime in on this? Do you hear any hiss from the headphone out of your X5?

BTW, I did try playing with different settings, including turning EQ on and off and changing gain between high and low, and the hiss was the same level in all cases.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #14,804 of 19,652
I saw a couple of posts (out of all the ones on all of the X5 threads) that mentioned this.  Seems to be a very small minority.  Did you contact Fiio?  They may have suggestions/fixes for you to try before a return if it is really bothering you.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #14,805 of 19,652
Just after Christmas, I organised an RMA for my X5 because of a scroll wheel problem and am waiting for my "ticket" to be answered by the seller. I bought it in September.

Olddude, I don't have an issue with how the controls are organised. They are to my liking and convenience and I don't find it's use difficult. Displeasing - well, yes, but only because scrolling is implemented counter intuitively and although I have" brain-mapped" to use it, it is still counter-intuitive if anyone else picks it up to use it and watching a noob use it is comical! (Yes, Yes, user-modded firmware will make amends but I choose not to. (And why should we have to!)

I do however have a problem with the shoddy design / manufacture of the scroll wheel, as I see from this forum that I am not alone with this problem.

My scroll wheel is randomly responsive. When moving forwards (which of course results in the interface going backwards in the  non-intuitive Fiio firmware implantation of things!!!!), sometimes it doesn't move, sometimes it goes "forwards", sometimes it goes "backwards", and which ever direction the interface moves,  it goes either a small amount or skips whole sections, irrespective of how hard/soft or fast / slow I use the wheel.

This is definitely a defect and under UK Consumer Law, I can reject the item and get a replacement, which I will.

However, with it being a common problem, it is a design / manufacture problem and just because some users are willing to ignore the wheel due to this and use secondary controls, it does not mean that Fiio are not at fault. I half expect the wheel to not work properly on my replacement. The 12 month Warranty time will be my decider as to whether to reject and get a refund at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back