The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #13,906 of 19,652
i accepted the fact that the unit will damage itself with time... cases, all of them, make x7 heat a lot more... for example, it gets very very hot with leather, a liitle cooler, but still very very hot with silicone, and slightly warm without... 

Beta testing the X7 for Fiio, eh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #13,907 of 19,652
Beta testing the X7 for Fiio, eh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Was kinda wondering...

not to be rude but, I was asking if someone has a case that fits the with the stacking unit....did not once mention heat issues.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #13,910 of 19,652
  Been playing with this for hours for a bass test and the eq really needs a gain slider. That eq is not really doing much.

Pretty sure the EQ is +6dB up, - 6dB down, so that's why you're probably not getting the huge gains you want.

What you could do is try putting it on high gain, raising the Bass sliders all the way up, and dropping everything else all the way down.  That way you're effectively getting +12dB on the bass.  You'll have to crank the volume up though - as the X5 is smart enough todrop the gain down to prevent clipping.

Knowing how much you like your bass though, why don't you just add a Zo to the mix 
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #13,911 of 19,652
I got my X5 in Indonesia. Same price in Jakarta and Bandung - 3.950.000 IDR, which works out to $322 USD. Pretty good! And yes, I do love it. (This was for those looking for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals, as well as commiserating with some in Europe who are facing exorbitant prices.)

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #13,912 of 19,652
  I got my X5 in Indonesia. Same price in Jakarta and Bandung - 3.950.000 IDR, which works out to $322 USD. Pretty good! And yes, I do love it. (This was for those looking for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals, as well as commiserating with some in Europe who are facing exorbitant prices.)

Great bargain indeed! Merchants in many other countries must have pocketed a huge margin of profit.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #13,913 of 19,652
Another thought on the EQ. Just off the top, I'll say that this produces no heartburn for me, as I rarely use EQ and prefer no distortion anyway.

Given that there's already a bunch of processing happening, how tough would it be for Fiio to do this - reduce the overall level only as much as is necessary to keep the gain at 0 in any of the domains. In other words, boost the 250hz band by 4 db, the gain drops so that content in the 250hz band stays at max 0, while other content will be reduced. Yes, a net reduction in volume, but no distortion and not simply a 6db drop in case you max out boost in any band. That seems like less stress on the processor than a lot of other things this little marvel is doing.

Thoughts?

waldemar
too many headphones and amps, but just the X5 right now for DAPs

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #13,914 of 19,652
I was talking about x5;.. sorry... And again, sorry, i was searching for a case that would work with the stacking kit, but i have not been able to fiind anything until now..i was just saying that i was also searching for a case that would keep x5 not so hot...

EDIT:: how comes that his seems under-discussed?...

A device that is hot while working without having how to cool off might break.. It happens with smartphones and computers..

X5 just doesn't have how to cool off with any of the two cases... isn't this something that everyone should had taken into account while making it and the cases?..

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #13,915 of 19,652
Since this is the thread where everybody states their "must haves" and wish lists, here's mine - I want an adjustable cross-feed function.  I don't care about having eq adjustments but cross-feed makes a difference on material with unnatural stereo separation that was not mixed with headphones in mind; it lets you "leak" sound from one channel to another to acheive a more natural and less jarring experience.  Now with Fiio, the only option is to switch to mono which is too drastic,

I have played with cross-feed in the Neutron music player, which plays high res flac files in native format and offers a wealth of playback features.  Neutron sounds spectacular on my Blackberry Z10.  I was listening to "American Beauty" in the 96khz HD Tracks release and it is almost indistinguishable from the sound on my X5. The Neutron performance on other phones may be a function of the quality of the phone's internal dac.  The Blackberry's is apparently pretty good.  If the X7 is going to be an Android based player, a version of Neutron might be a good choice as the native music system, 

Anybody else using V-moda XS with their X5? For me it's a happy marriage

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #13,919 of 19,652
  Is an external amplifier really a bonus? Ive heard about how the lineout + a good amp does btter job then the X5 @ stock.
What is the actual difference u hear?

What is the best Fiio Amp to boost the X5?

Only bass.
Can't see a reason for an amp otherwise. My SZ are 16ohm but they need a lot of juice and can't be played proper without an amp until the X5. But it isn't needed except for hammering bass.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #13,920 of 19,652
You pretty much always want to use line out with an amp.  You are turning off the X5 amp and using the external amp you purchased.  You should be getting clearer (less distorted) sound that way.  Volume should be all the way up out of the LO, and then the amp would be your control point.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back