The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 28, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #13,877 of 19,652
Wait wait..I missed this

running the X5 to my e12 (both FiiO)  and running my headphones out of the amp makes the eq useless?

X5 is source.... signal is tweaked there...passed to the amp...where it is boosted and adds it's bass boost and passes it to the cans.

I cannot use the eq if I use that chain:blink:

I musta misread that? Please tell me the line out works. It is how that signal is passed to the amp then the headphone jack out of the e12 is where I plug in....right? EQ o.k. like that right?

EDIT:
My Cowon only has a headphone out...... to line in of e12 headphone out of e12 of my cans so it is the same I guess....good to know though

This is misinformation. The EQ is usable with the headphone out, line out, and coaxial out. The EQ is generated on the SoC so it's done before the DAC and therefore usable with all outputs. :wink: Tested and used myself many times.

Maybe the idea came from the X3 which uses hardware controlled bass/treble at the amp stage so no line out EQ for the X3. The only limitation for the X5 EQ is on high rez files at a sample rate higher than 24/48kHz.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #13,878 of 19,652
Hello all, I've looked back through the thread and would like to hear people's view on why you are using your X5 with an external amp like the e12?

My current set up is x5 line out to little dot mk2 with mallard tubes to my akg 702s. It brings me close to tears on occasions haha. All music is FLAC and I would love to have this sound quality on the go with some IEMs so any recommendations on whether an amp would do this and what IEMs are know for detail would help. Budget around £200 for IEMs. Looking into e12diy for amp.

First time poster long time lurker here so do your worst.

Cheers from old blighty.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #13,879 of 19,652
For those interested in OTG, I bought a Integral 512gb external SSD and it works with OTG.

I had seen one going cheap on ebay and contacted Integral's customer service who told me the USB Controller was a Phison. I thought there was a fair chance it would work and it does. Integral also make 128gb. 256gb and 1 tb versions, and I expect they all use Phison chips as well (although I recommend you check with Integral first).

The Integral is a bit smaller than the X5 so I'm going to use the stacking kit to lash it to the X5 and keep the cables under control. I now have a 640gb player! If I can just get Fiio to change the firmware so that you have the option to scan the OTG into the library, then I'm a happy camper.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #13,880 of 19,652
I am using the search function of this thread but cannot find specific info. What are the compatible battery types that one can buy if he needs to replace the battery? I don't care if it is not quickly removable, but I want to have the option to change it in the future. 300 cycles goes very quickly. Are there any generic brands / types that are compatible?

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #13,881 of 19,652
  I am using the search function of this thread but cannot find specific info. What are the compatible battery types that one can buy if he needs to replace the battery? I don't care if it is not quickly removable, but I want to have the option to change it in the future. 300 cycles goes very quickly. Are there any generic brands / types that are compatible?

A friend who opened his didnt found any compatible battery at least one that he knows off (like the S3 battery for the DX50) , I guess you can try asking fiio for a replacement , they are generally really good at doing replacement spare parts

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #13,882 of 19,652

A friend who opened his didnt found any compatible battery at least one that he knows off (like the S3 battery for the DX50) , I guess you can try asking fiio for a replacement , they are generally really good at doing replacement spare parts

I am trying to figure out where to put my hard earned money and this sounds not very good. Should I take it in good faith that in 2,3,4,5 years fiio will have batteries to send me/ sell me? I don't mind replacing it myself, but is should at least exist in the market...

Also what about the quality control? I read that a battery almost exploded on a user here.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #13,883 of 19,652
This is misinformation. The EQ is usable with the headphone out, line out, and coaxial out. The EQ is generated on the SoC so it's done before the DAC and therefore usable with all outputs.
wink.gif
Tested and used myself many times.

Maybe the idea came from the X3 which uses hardware controlled bass/treble at the amp stage so no line out EQ for the X3. The only limitation for the X5 EQ is on high rez files at a sample rate higher than 24/48kHz.

now that you mention it, i only used line out with usb DAC function, in which case the eq doesn't work.. 

Intersting, in case i am to get an e12, which would be good for x5's batterry.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #13,885 of 19,652

Can u get a digital signal out of a gallaxy phone to play through the x5?

anyone?

I have a Galaxy Note 3, the X5 and an E12. As far as I know the X5 isn't capable of doing this.
I think the only FiiO product that can do that for you is the (Kunlun) E18. The E12 and other headphone amps can be connected to the HO of your Galaxy of course, but the E18 can also be connected to the micro USB port at the bottom of your Galaxy phone.

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #13,886 of 19,652
For those interested in OTG, I bought a Integral 512gb external SSD and it works with OTG.

I had seen one going cheap on ebay and contacted Integral's customer service who told me the USB Controller was a Phison. I thought there was a fair chance it would work and it does. Integral also make 128gb. 256gb and 1 tb versions, and I expect they all use Phison chips as well (although I recommend you check with Integral first).

The Integral is a bit smaller than the X5 so I'm going to use the stacking kit to lash it to the X5 and keep the cables under control. I now have a 640gb player! If I can just get Fiio to change the firmware so that you have the option to scan the OTG into the library, then I'm a happy camper.

A much cheaper, more portable OTG option is to buy PNY 256 gb flash drives, as they are currently $69 on Amazon. I have one and can confirm it works with x5.

Ps - how do I add a photo? Do they all need to be url's? Can't upload photo directly from ipad?

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #13,887 of 19,652
  I have a Galaxy Note 3, the X5 and an E12. As far as I know the X5 isn't capable of doing this.
I think the only FiiO product that can do that for you is the (Kunlun) E18. The E12 and other headphone amps can be connected to the HO of your Galaxy of course, but the E18 can also be connected to the micro USB port at the bottom of your Galaxy phone.

I was able to do it with a nexus 5 running lollipop. Lollipop now supports usb audio out. I can only confirm with the nexus 5 though. Try rooting your phone to lollipop and maybe it will work. It ran at 48/24bit and was quieter, than normal, through headphones but sounded good as a line out. I ran Tidal on my phone through the x5 to my system and it sounded good.

i was surprised and pleased that it worked

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #13,888 of 19,652
  I was able to do it with a nexus 5 running lollipop. Lollipop now supports usb audio out. I can only confirm with the nexus 5 though. Try rooting your phone to lollipop and maybe it will work. It ran at 48/24bit and was quieter, than normal, through headphones but sounded good as a line out. I ran Tidal on my phone through the x5 to my system and it sounded good.

i was surprised and pleased that it worked

if i could just get the x5 to work with my chromebook as a DAC or through crouton i would be super stoked

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #13,889 of 19,652
This is an interesting review:
https://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/fiio-x5-portable-hi-res-music-player/
Talking about how the line out + external dac might be better then just headphone jack cuz of "black" background.

Does anyone know what settings controll in the qualizer I must change to get for example *bass boost* treble boost * or mids boost, highs boost etc.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #13,890 of 19,652
A much cheaper, more portable OTG option is to buy PNY 256 gb flash drives, as they are currently $69 on Amazon. I have one and can confirm it works with x5.

Ps - how do I add a photo? Do they all need to be url's? Can't upload photo directly from ipad?

Is this true?! does the OTG function work for you?
Also does it affect battery life for u much to connect an usb powered flash drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back