The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #13,850 of 19,652
How is battery life with latest firmware? Does x5 stands longer than x3? Im thinking on buying and battery life is only thing, that holds me back. I read somewhere, that it should last 15 hours with future firmwares, so im interested, if they kept their promise.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #13,851 of 19,652
There's no danger of distorting your IE8 via the EQ on the X5. On the earphone end your IE8 has a high quality driver; on the software end, the EQ on the X5 comes with a preamp setting to prevent clipping distortion (which is why the volume is lowered a bit when using EQ).

And of course there is no danger of realizing the potential of the amp when using EQ because the engineers basically crippled that.
I've had my X5 for several months now and my only gripe is the implementation of that EQ.
There was a Seinfeld episode about Soup Nazis - I can't help but  think of EQ Nazis at Fiio coming up with that idea.
I understand  how its set up - and cannot fathom that a decision was made to keep some possible user from hearing some distortion - so what? They'll figure it out like everyone else before them or it could be explained in an online manual perhaps.
Thats something to decide for 7 year olds, not owners of an audiophile player like the X5.
Please put in gain slider so as to match levels and make it easier to compare settings.
Or at the very least  fix the UI graphics to match how it actually works.
Okay rant over...and to be clear, I love my X5!

Having a negative digital preamp doesn't cripple anything :confused:

Nevertheless, the new implementation on the X1 matches EQed loudness with EQ:xf_eek:ff loudness at the same volume setting, but caps the max volume setting lower than with EQ:xf_eek:ff. Would that help?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #13,853 of 19,652
   And of course there is no danger of realizing the potential of the amp when using EQ because the engineers basically crippled that.
I've had my X5 for several months now and my only gripe is the implementation of that EQ.
There was a Seinfeld episode about Soup Nazis - I can't help but  think of EQ Nazis at Fiio coming up with that idea.
I understand  how its set up - and cannot fathom that a decision was made to keep some possible user from hearing some distortion - so what? They'll figure it out like everyone else before them or it could be explained in an online manual perhaps.
Thats something to decide for 7 year olds, not owners of an audiophile player like the X5.
Please put in gain slider so as to match levels and make it easier to compare settings.
Or at the very least  fix the UI graphics to match how it actually works.
Okay rant over...and to be clear, I love my X5!

Mine is hours away
biggrin.gif

and I got this partly for the 2 sub bass sliders and will be doing bass test displays with it.
I am hoping my Cowon is never touched again. I have experience with UI that is legendary bad (iAudio10) but am really hoping the sub bass sliders with the e12 bass boost do their jobs.

BASS

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #13,854 of 19,652
Sorry, bit of a subject change...so I understand the X5 will "support" 2.8Mhz DSD.  I though it would down sample and convert to PCM, but then the latest firmware will allow true native DSD?  Can someone please confirm?   
Happy Thanksgiving!  

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,855 of 19,652
Having a negative digital preamp doesn't cripple anything
confused.gif

Nevertheless, the new implementation on the X1 matches EQed loudness with EQ:xf_eek:ff loudness at the same volume setting, but caps the max volume setting lower than with EQ:xf_eek:ff. Would that help?

it is fine the way it is, and it would be fine that way too!

For x5 is it better for the player, and battery, and processor how the eq works now, or how it is on x1?...

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13,856 of 19,652

Mine is hours away
biggrin.gif

and I got this partly for the 2 sub bass sliders and will be doing bass test displays with it.
I am hoping my Cowon is never touched again. I have experience with UI that is legendary bad (iAudio10) but am really hoping the sub bass sliders with the e12 bass boost do their jobs.

BASS

okay... you really seem to be enjoying bass... 

As you seem to had had a iaudio10... the mach3bass on it shoudl have been a very very good bass setting... if you still have it, you should try to amp the signal using mach3bass + e12 + bass on e12.. that would already be overkill...

with all serioussness, if you want to add the bass of x5 and bass of e12 you should use headphone out of x5 with the sliders for bass pulled up, The line out of x5 doesn't have any eq adjustments. but if you use headphone out and e12, you get some bass in plus out of x5 and e12 still has the bass setting.    

Where u can find these firmware mods?

the firmware mods can be found in  http://www.head-fi.org/t/742815/x5-firmware-2-34beta-now-playing-gets-a-good-memory-ape-cuesheets/105#post_11080442

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m1cvurf212tvm9x/X5+LIM+FW2.34.zip
Lim theme by Theo

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #13,857 of 19,652
About the on to go cable - storage function
I tried connecting my 1.36 TB toshiba fat 32 HDD 512 sectors - 32KB clusters and put a few music files in root + folder.

It says no music found, but I don't think it is seeing my harddrive.. also it makes a weird bleeping noise in a certain sequence...

On to go not work at all or this intentional..?
I read something about they promised up to 1 terabyte support. Is this implemented?
Please Joe and FIio! Make it 1.5 TB, as I don't want spend more money and already bought this disc :frowning2:

Anyone had luck with connecting external usb drives?

Can I create playlists on pc and will the player find files across different maps?
Or do the music files need to be precisely in said directory, or will it autosearch where file is located?
I see it is possible to create playlist in the media player itself, one for one. Is it also possible to create a playlist from an entire folder or select multiple items across?
It is a must to select mutiple individual files instead of one for one..
It also seems not possible to edit order in the playlist or name the playlist in the Fiio X5...

USB dac installation
Downloaded it from the website Driver for X3、X5 USB_DAC.
It gives me however an error when to try setup.exe
NSIS Error
Error launching installer.

Final, would love some advice, got the Brainwavz S5, Monster turbine (not the pro version but normal), Hippo VB.
Im now looking for ear in's AND also a headphone both may cost max 300-400 euro individually.
What would be a real justifie-able upgrade to my current in ears?

Would love some assistance with my questions.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #13,859 of 19,652

I found the sennheiser hd600 relatively cheap. Would the X5 alone, be enough to power them, or should I seriously start considering the bundle?

quality wise it should be enough... apart from volume, depends on how sensitive to subtle details you are...

i found x5 being able to drive hd800 well enough, but the volume was not enough... you really should test before making a decision about this one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back