The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #13,831 of 19,652
what country are you looking up for deals for x5?...

also, usuall black friday deals are about cheap bad products that no one wants, and are sold dirt cheap because it is still more profitable to sell cheap than to refurbish into something else..

very few black friday deals are on good products that were already priced right..

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #13,832 of 19,652
The X5 option should not cost $750 either; $350 for the X5 + $120 for 128gb card.
And also buy a new pair of IEMs as they look a bit simple for the X5.

Unfortunately with the VAT in Europe the X5 costs $620...

I am thinking to get perhaps the Shure se215

Thank you all for your answers. Regarding the interface, I was left with the impression from reviews that, it is not very intuitive. perhaps I understood wrong.

Do you think that with the hd 25, it is possible to tell the difference between the x3 and x5 ? Or that better headphones are needed for that? I am asking because I am not sure if I can commit now financially to such a total upgrade..

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #13,834 of 19,652

There is no limit for all cards you actually can buy and for futher cards the firmeware can be updated.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #13,835 of 19,652
2TB limit for x5 too... you are going to be able to tell with hd25... in what country do you live?... it seems more expensive than it should... i got mine for 430$ in Romania, Europe...
The interface is better than i you expect, but it is not an ipod... it is different;

if it is worth, you should go to the store and listen and tell yourself... x5 has the best sound... but it depends on your budget... x3 is amazing too, and x1 is amazing,... x5 is just the top of the line right now... it will be an x7. but it is going to be even more expensive,... you know how you want to spend your money...

this is a hobby that will hurt your wallet...

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #13,841 of 19,652
why do many people add a preamp like e12 or e12DIY before the x5 ? The amp on the x5 is supposed to be good, no? Is it just a matter of driving "heavier" headphones?

No a 'preamp', but a headphone amp... and yes, the built in amp section on the X5 is excellent. However, just because you buy a sport car doesn't mean you can't get better performance by doing after-marketing fine-tuning, a even better headphone amp will out-performance the X5 internal amp as well. Of course, you really shouldn't worry about getting a headphone amp for X5 if you don't think your headphone will benefit from it. That being said, always upgrade your headphone first, then consider a headphone amp if you want to squeeze out the last few percents of performance. Not the other way around.

Of course, there is also the case where people are more interested in changing the sound instead of improving it. It is all part of the fun.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #13,842 of 19,652

No a 'preamp', but a headphone amp... and yes, the built in amp section on the X5 is excellent. However, just because you buy a sport car doesn't mean you can't get better performance by doing after-marketing fine-tuning, a even better headphone amp will out-performance the X5 internal amp as well. Of course, you really shouldn't worry about getting a headphone amp for X5 if you don't think your headphone will benefit from it. That being said, always upgrade your headphone first, then consider a headphone amp if you want to squeeze out the last few percents of performance. Not the other way around.

Of course, there is also the case where people are more interested in changing the sound instead of improving it. It is all part of the fun.

The reason I'm asking is that there are some bundles with the e12 that in the long run would save me money if I chose to purchase an amp later.. But my best headphones currently being the hd25 which I know are easily drived and are not the best out there, I am trying to understand wether buying this bundle would make any sense for me. If in order to be aware of this "fine tuning" I would need the Audeze lcd2 , it just ain't gonna happen... at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. If on the other hand the shure se215 that I am considering buying for travelling, or the hd 25 would clearly reveal a difference then it would make some sense..

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #13,843 of 19,652
About the on to go cable - storage function
I tried connectingmy 1.36 TB toshiba fat 32 HDD and put a few music files in root.

It says no music found, but I don't think it is seeing my harddrive.. also it makes a weird bleeping noise in a certain sequence...

I also tried a other harddisk with external power... no luck either. :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #13,844 of 19,652

If you are in the US, www.buysonic.com has a special going right now. I ordered one a couple days ago and am now waiting.  

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #13,845 of 19,652

Many reviewers like this one http://youtu.be/-OM7m2uMo-Q complain about the scroll wheel lag among other things.

Yeah, it's a pretty terrible UI.  The scroll wheel is poorly implimented, there's lag between skipping tracks, the screen is washed out, and the over-all feel is somewhere between awkward and confused.  If you can live with the hiccups, it's a really great device.  The sound quality is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back