The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #13,817 of 19,652
I love my double duty reset / dust plug device!!!!! :D

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #13,818 of 19,652
popcorn.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #13,819 of 19,652
Apologies for the repost but this looks like a more relevant place to ask my questions.

I am considering a more portable solution to my current simple setup, which is lossless music streamed to  iPad from Seagate wireless. This combination has served me well when travelling but need something more portable and preferably pocket-able.

I initially thought of getting the iPod classic 160gb( + the HRT microstreamer which I am thinking oaf purchasing for a long time now) , but realised that it is discontinued. After a couple of days research I ended up with some candidates, namely the fiio x1, x3 and x5.  Apparently they are all good but the x5 is *much* better than the other two. So i thought, ok since I am going to make a new purchase, i could upgrade the SQ anyway.

The Fiio x3 and x5 sounded good options, as I could use them with my macbook as DACs to improve sound at home (but not with iPad, which is my travel companion).

So, after some thinking and considering the prices I was wondering if it would make sense to just buy an iPod touch and the HRT micro streamer.  In this way, I could use it
1. as a pocketable solution:  the iPod touch + the seagate (or another smaller ssd wireless drive) + the microstreamer.
2. as a travel solution (when size is not such a problem): the iPad + the seagate + the microstreamer.
3. as a desktop solution: macbook + microstreamer.

From what I have read, solutions 2 and 3 would work  fine and I had in mind at some point to upgrade my sound with the hrt, but since it all started as I wanted to get closer to my music, and carry it with less hassle, everywhere, I was wondering how solution number 1 would rate against the purchase of the Fiio X5, in terms of SQ and user experience which i believe is important for a portable device.

Most reviews say that the user interface of the fiio x5 leaves a lot to be desired and the price would climb another $200 because of the need for memory cards. So the total would be around $500.  Saying that, it would not  easily reach the capacity of my 1tb seagate (out of which I am using 200gb for my lossless music). In this way I would have to sacrifice the use of the iPad as a travel companion but maybe the iPod touch would be ok for that. 

The headphones I use are Sennheiser hd25-1  and Soundmagic E10s.

To recap in short:  is the fiio x5 a much better solution compared to a  iPod touch 16gb (=cheap) + wireless drive + het microstreamer. Taking into consideration BOTH image quality and user interface /usability ?

Prices are:

iPod touch 16gb + hrt microstreamer = $500
Fiio X5 + 128 GB card = $750

(..and the sony Nwz f886 = $390 )

Many thanks!

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #13,820 of 19,652
Apologies for the repost but this looks like a more relevant place to ask my questions.

I am considering a more portable solution to my current simple setup, which is lossless music streamed to  iPad from Seagate wireless. This combination has served me well when travelling but need something more portable and preferably pocket-able.

I initially thought of getting the iPod classic 160gb( + the HRT microstreamer which I am thinking oaf purchasing for a long time now) , but realised that it is discontinued. After a couple of days research I ended up with some candidates, namely the fiio x1, x3 and x5.  Apparently they are all good but the x5 is *much* better than the other two. So i thought, ok since I am going to make a new purchase, i could upgrade the SQ anyway.

The Fiio x3 and x5 sounded good options, as I could use them with my macbook as DACs to improve sound at home (but not with iPad, which is my travel companion).

So, after some thinking and considering the prices I was wondering if it would make sense to just buy an iPod touch and the HRT micro streamer.  In this way, I could use it
1. as a pocketable solution:  the iPod touch + the seagate (or another smaller ssd wireless drive) + the microstreamer.
2. as a travel solution (when size is not such a problem): the iPad + the seagate + the microstreamer.

From what I have read, solutions 2 and 3 would work  fine and I had in mind at some point to upgrade my sound with the hrt, but since it all started as I wanted to get closer to my music, and carry it with less hassle, everywhere, I was wondering how solution number 1 would rate against the purchase of the Fiio X5, in terms of SQ and user experience which i believe is important for a portable device.

Most reviews say that the user interface of the fiio x5 leaves a lot to be desired and the price would climb another $200 because of the need for memory cards. So the total would be around $500.  Saying that, it would not  easily reach the capacity of my 1tb seagate (out of which I am using 200gb for my lossless music). In this way I would have to sacrifice the use of the iPad as a travel companion but maybe the iPod touch would be ok for that. 

To recap in short:  is the fiio x5 a much better solution compared to a  iPod touch 16gb (=cheap) + wireless drive + het microstreamer. Taking into consideration BOTH image quality and user interface /usability ?

Prices are:

Many thanks!

To long to read. Where is the question? :wink:

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #13,821 of 19,652
To long to read. Where is the question?
wink.gif

This is his question:

Quote:

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #13,823 of 19,652

Prices are:

Many thanks!

All I can say is you really have over analyzed this....with all of this analysis what do you need the thread for?

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #13,825 of 19,652

HUGE SNIP

Many thanks!

I have a pile of formally loved Apple iPod gear that is of zero interest to me since I bought the X3 and the X5. If you want to save money buy an X3, it sounds great. It sounds much better than any iPod device I own. I like the X5 more as it sounds a tad better and can hold two 128 GB cards. I don't get the whole streaming part of your message so I'm no help there. I use a Dragonfly 1.2 to listen to my computers and I never use the X3 or X5 to do that. If saving money and an overly simplistic user interface are important, by all means try the Apple products. If sound is the important issue, the the Fiio products are a step up.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #13,826 of 19,652

Prices are:

Many thanks!

it might seem cold... but x5 is just so much better... but yes, it is more expensive, and if you are searching for something similar to ipod you will not get it here. X5 is just so much better sounding, i would say that the battery lasts longer. but the scrolling between folders is slower, the interface is not necesarrly better, but is sleek and acceptable. Reminds me of old irivers in so many ways, like iriver e100. 

short answer, get the x5, you will be much more satisfied. It will be like opening the world around you. also, if you can, you should get better headphones and iems. But even with hd25 you will feel much better..

I am not so sure that x5 can work as usb DAC for apple products. After you will hear what x5 sounds like, you will not want to listen to any other device ever. 

You should also consider that ipod is cheaper for you, and if you are with a lot of apples out there, x5 is going to have some problems when used with a macbook. You will have to delete macbook hidden files on x5.

For me, it was x5 worth more than any other option, but i wanted the best sq i could get, and did not consider anything else more important. Suprisingly, x5 is amazing in every other way, but it does not do anything but music at it's finest for the price.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #13,827 of 19,652

Prices are:

Many thanks!

Who told you the user interface of the X5 is poor,? I think it is pretty good,you might be confused with the X3. FYI I always play album by album and are not interest by playlists or shuffleplay.

I think you should go for the X5. The other options look like a cheapskate options and The X5 option should not cost $750 either; $350 for the X5 + $120 for 128gb card.
And also buy a new pair of IEMs as they look a bit simple for the X5.

I love my X5 + Yamaha eph-100 and it sparked new interrest in all my music and am thinking of investing in better EIMs, but cannot decide which ones yet. (Any suggestions?) The X5 was the best but of the year.

Send while listening to Peter Gabriel, So remastered 2012, 24bit/48KHz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back