The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 30, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #13,321 of 19,652
I can't directly comment on the DX50/C5 combo, but I think olddude can help there (among others no doubt). What I can tell you though is that you will absolutely not need an amp with the DN1000s. My reason for using an amp is one of synergy and flexibility because the E12DIY lets me change op amps to suit the 'phones I'm using, but it's absolutely not needed and the X5 is a stellar device all buy itself.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #13,322 of 19,652
I can't directly comment on the DX50/C5 combo, but I think olddude can help there (among others no doubt). What I can tell you though is that you will absolutely not need an amp with the DN1000s. My reason for using an amp is one of synergy and flexibility because the E12DIY lets me change op amps to suit the 'phones I'm using, but it's absolutely not needed and the X5 is a stellar device all buy itself.

Thanks very much for your response.. I also thought an extra amp wouldn't be necessary with the x5. I was getting worried upon seeing a good number of people stacking their x5. I'm just looking for a stand alone DAP to use with my iems

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #13,323 of 19,652
I would hate to disappoint you, but it sounds a lot better with the E12A (E12 made specifically for IEM's)

And the IEM's I'm using are the Rock Jaw Alfa Genus

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #13,324 of 19,652
Been lurking around this thread for sometime now, I'm a big fan of the x5 but yet to purchase one. But I have a problem, I was told the x5 has a very good amp which is powerful enough to drive most headphones and iems. But I keep seeing people talk about how well the sound is improved when paired with an amp. Ive just sold my dx50 and jds c5 because it was too bulky to carry along when I'm out and about. My question is am I going to need an extra amp to get the best sound out of the x5? I'll mostly be using it with iems and I currently have the dunu dn1000. And if there's anyone on here who has moved from the dx50/c5 combo to x5, can they please give me their impressions so far comparing the two. Thanks for your indulgence

I typically use my X5 without an amp.
I have no complaints! :D

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #13,326 of 19,652
Been lurking around this thread for sometime now, I'm a big fan of the x5 but yet to purchase one. But I have a problem, I was told the x5 has a very good amp which is powerful enough to drive most headphones and iems. But I keep seeing people talk about how well the sound is improved when paired with an amp. Ive just sold my dx50 and jds c5 because it was too bulky to carry along when I'm out and about. My question is am I going to need an extra amp to get the best sound out of the x5? I'll mostly be using it with iems and I currently have the dunu dn1000. And if there's anyone on here who has moved from the dx50/c5 combo to x5, can they please give me their impressions so far comparing the two. Thanks for your indulgence

Well, I'm not sure about dn1000, but the C5 really improves the performance of XBA-H3 providing more clarity and details, faster and better controlled bass. This is the only way for me to listen to the music now. Single X5 does not work for me anymore.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #13,327 of 19,652

I have found adding the E12 gave a little more life to my Grados, and was necessary for my ZMF V1. Less sensitive IEMs (Monoprice 8320 for example) are okay with it, but don't benefit much at all. I am reviewing a pair of T-Peos Altone's and they don't benefit at all from the amp. Its a negative, in fact.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #13,328 of 19,652
My own experience with the X5 and Dunu1000 is that no additional amp is needed. The X5 is extremely low impedance, and has much more power than the DN1000 requires. In fact I also have the Alfa Genus as well, and it doesn't need (or improve) with an amp either IMO.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #13,329 of 19,652
My own experience with the X5 and Dunu1000 is that no additional amp is needed. The X5 is extremely low impedance, and has much more power than the DN1000 requires. In fact I also have the Alfa Genus as well, and it doesn't need (or improve) with an amp either IMO.

Thanks very much for your input.. I can see you own the x1 as well. Does it sound any good with the dn1000?

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #13,330 of 19,652
Also sounds great with the DN1000. X5 sounds better - but not a massive difference. Depends on where diminishing returns affects your budget

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #13,334 of 19,652
Hi All X5-er, I am in lost what to pair to x5 since my custom cable of tf10p (lune sliver cable) broke T_T,

Is there any upgrade for budget performance IEM that i can consider to pair with X5 in universal

Some IEM i am consider is :

Fidue A83
Dunu but don't know what series

@Brooko : Sir, can you recommend between dunu,fidue or even other brands  that best pair with X5 since your review is in all the item i am interested with

Regards,
Eric

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #13,335 of 19,652
+1

I use my X6 with SM64s on the go and SennGrados with no complaints!

I agree, SM64 was easier for the X5 to run on a hign gain. Hybrid IEM are not that easy. Well, of course, they sound not bad directly from the DAP but to get the best SQ the amp is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back