The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #13,021 of 19,652
I tried a shuffle once and thought it sounded lean and cold vs a walkman.

I was actually impressed by its clean output

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #13,022 of 19,652
Received a 2nd hand E12 a few days ago and already I know it's here to stay!

Why do I like it with the X5?
Not because of the crossfeed (imo the SQ gets really awful with this option).
Not because of the +16dB gain. I don't have a headphone in the house that needs that much power. Even my LCD2 sounds pretty good without this gain at ± 60% of volume.
But...I really like what the (sub)bass switch does! The SQ gets fuller/richer and to my ears lots of music just sounds better with it when it's on. I don't consider myself being a bass-head, but maybe I should analyze myself again on this point sometime soon
biggrin.gif

I have a PicoPower also. When I compare the two, I think the PP surely has a cleaner and more neutral output, so it's more to the purists taste...but the E12 is the more ''fun'' sounding to me...

Btw, @ olddude:
There's a beautiful BLUE light on it!

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #13,023 of 19,652
I have found a lot of SACD ISO's on the interweb (with searches like above) & converted them to DSF, but at RMAF this weekend I found out about a site that is selling albums as DSD files.

If interested go to:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez

Just curious, how did you convert the .ISO file into individual .DSF track files? Foobar200 does convert the ISO into individual tracks using the SACD plug-in, but no playback on the X5 of that same file.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #13,024 of 19,652
Received a 2nd hand E12 a few days ago and already I know it's here to stay!

Why do I like it with the X5?

Not because of the crossfeed (imo the SQ gets really awful with this option).

Not because of the +16dB gain. I don't have a headphone in the house that needs that much power. Even my LCD2 sounds pretty good without this gain at ± 60% of volume.

But...I really like what the (sub)bass switch does! The SQ gets fuller/richer and to my ears lots of music just sounds better with it when it's on. I don't consider myself being a bass-head, but maybe I should analyze myself again on this point sometime soon :D

I have a PicoPower also. When I compare the two, I think the PP surely has a cleaner and more neutral output, so it's more to the purists taste...but the E12 is the more ''fun'' sounding to me...

Btw, @ olddude:

There's a beautiful BLUE light on it!

If you like the bass boost on the E12, you might be a bass head! :D

Who's that guy who had that joke about "if you do...(something, something), you might be a red neck!"

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #13,025 of 19,652
I use a Mac program called iso2DVD_OSX, which has about four separate DSF converter settings.  Yesterday the Phillips DSF-converted files (for the first time) refused to play in the DX50 (unsupported files, it said), so I switched to Sony DSF conversion and no issue.  Check and see if Foobar converts different ways.  Audirvana (for Mac) will convert DSDs to FLAC as well.

Yep, BASEHEAD, no doubt about it.

Blue light?  Actually, I like green better, but the blue one was the best used one for price/condition.  

\But blue IS pretty, especially blue lights at night in the dark, glowing dimly in the dimness.

gs1000.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #13,026 of 19,652
Originally Posted by olddude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, BASEHEAD, no doubt about it.

Blue light?  Actually, I like green better, but the blue one was the best used one for price/condition.  

\But blue IS pretty, especially blue lights at night in the dark, glowing dimly in the dimness.

gs1000.gif

Oh man....

Now I finally know why I preferred the soundsignature of the LCD2 (with it's deeeeeeeeeeeeep bass) above that of the Grado GS1000....and know it strikes me, I suddenly know the meaning of life: It's just all about the bass!!! And wait....in a vision I just saw a little blue light on the end of the tunnel...must be audio nirvana...

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #13,029 of 19,652
  Don't....go....to....the....light!!!

Nope, I won't...I've seen enough movies to be aware of the danger...

Btw, this X5/E12 combination enlightens me more than enough!
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #13,030 of 19,652
Hi,

I own the following: X5 - E12 - LCD-XC.

How much will the sound improve if i switch to a full size amp? Is it a world of difference, of a small change? Im looking for an amp but cant find a lot of stores with demo's in my area.

thanks

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #13,031 of 19,652
I took my P7's down to the local Target and listened to the ipods prior to picking up the X5.  I thought the sound of my old Sansa Fuse sounded better.  I was disappointed at the sound of apples stuff (muddy with a narrow sound-stage, poor imaging).  Yet, the sound on my Ipad air is not as bad.  

Very curious to hear the new Sony (great god of proprietary) High-Res Walkman coming out in November.  An audiophile neighbor of mine who has one of the outrageous iRiver units said it really sounded good.  Also, he could not get over the size ( less then half of a small IR remote) and low weight.  He was able to play with it at a recent electronics show.  

isn't this obsession fun $$$$$$$$$$$$  
beerchug.gif

jhv

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #13,032 of 19,652
@Olddude - thanks, found the iso2DVD program (MAC+Windows)

I'm glad you were able to find ISO2DSD, Olddude beat me to it.

I haven't had any issues playing any of the DSF files I have converted so far either on my Mac, or my X5.

I just found out about an OS X app called YATE that will tag/add artwork to DSF files. I will be giving it a first try in the next day or 2. If you have access to a Windows system MP3Tag will tag DSF files as well.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #13,035 of 19,652
  Does anyone know how to sync playlists from JRiver onto the X5? I've been having some trouble with it. Even with sync playlists checked on JRiver.

Actually, here's my post on their forum explaining it.  Remember, the playlists are simply the flat files, and will NOT show up in the "Playlists" portion of the device's media library, as those are currently limited to the files created on the device.  I believe there has be a way to directly address this database, but until then use the relative or absolute path construct for your .M3U or .M3U8 files, and prefix it with #EXTM3U.  I have examples in that thread, along with direct addressing of the storage devices (TF1, TF2, OTG).

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91883.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back