The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #12,361 of 19,652
I have the X5 now for ± 2 weeks and love it!

Still wondering why there is a file limit of 5.800 to the ''all songs'' section. Is this due to technical reasons or commercial reasons (so it's maybe easier to sell an upcoming model without that limitation)? When there is a technical reason (my DX90 doesn't have this limitation) is there anybody out there who can explain this?

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #12,362 of 19,652
  I have the X5 now for ± 2 weeks and love it!

Still wondering why there is a file limit of 5.800 to the ''all songs'' section. Is this due to technical reasons or commercial reasons (so it's maybe easier to sell an upcoming model without that limitation)? When there is a technical reason (my DX90 doesn't have this limitation) is there anybody out there who can explain this?

It is a limitation of the physical memory of the X5. I believe FiiO are looking at solutions, but it might be a tricky one.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #12,363 of 19,652
  Here is Cowon P1's EQ output that was measured at Seeko.  Also, you should check out graphic equalizer for foobar to see if they sound accurate.  People have said it's one of the more accurate ones.  http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

Odd that the graph doesn't match the position of the sliders...
Graph 2.4 Khz and 7.5 Khz
Sliders 240 hz and 750 hz

It is a limitation of the physical memory of the X5. I believe FiiO are looking at solutions, but it might be a tricky one.

The simple solution of using the SD card has obviously not proved so simple.
Is it just lazy programming that the limitation was inherited by the X3 when the X5 FW was ported over and that has plenty of internal memory?
Probably, yes as it is also inherited the kludgy album art display of the X5 despite their different screen orientations.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #12,364 of 19,652
The simple solution of using the SD card has obviously not proved so simple.
Is it just lazy programming that the limitation was inherited by the X3 when the X5 FW was ported over and that has plenty of internal memory?
Probably, yes as it is also inherited the kludgy album art display of the X5 despite their different screen orientations.

To be clear, the memory mentioned as the limit is the RAM, not storage memory. This is the FiiO DAPs greatest weakness IMO, which leads to the need for more difficult workarounds.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #12,366 of 19,652
FiiO could reduce the firmware size, as it has several icons which are unused, shavig off maybe 1 - 2 MB of space.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #12,367 of 19,652
Speaking of firmware, this ad could be a bit confusing, considering we're on 2.2 now..

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #12,371 of 19,652
Hi all    I updated my x5 yesterday to the latest 2.2 firmware (was sitting at 1.2 since June and had no problems with my x5 ) 
I updated as the new firmware has support for dff files.I already had my dff tunes on my 64 gig sd card my x5 was fully charged and had downloaded the 2.2 firmware and stuck it on another 64gig card formatted in the x5. I switched the x5 off then pushed top left button then help power on button and x5 started updating then rebooted ,when into system settings to check firmware 2.2  was there and had a look around settings to see what was new.stuck in my sd card full of dff files and updated library,then using folder view  
 went to my dff files ,they all played and everything sounded great.The player seemed a little more sluggish playing dff files but thought that normal with the extra processing required,flac was noticeably quicker .

Everything seemed fine till the next day when I tried to power it up ,no welcome screen came up ,blank screen and no power up .so decided to try reset switch for the first time then power up ,still nothing.plugged it back into my pc ,and x5 powered up saying usb connected and pc recognized my x5.
Unplugged my x5 from pc and tried to power off ,not working x5 remains on hmmm getting worried now.
left x5 on idle and set it to power down after 2min,removed sd cards and  booted it up using usb as this it seems is the only way the x5 will power up now.did factory reset ,x5 still the same.downloaded 1.2 firmware off FiiO to roll back then remembered that you need to hold the top left button and the power button to load update,tried it anyway(it didn't work)
I got know idea what to do now.
Apart from the power button not working x5 still functions in all other ways although I noticed that screen lock 1 won,t work using both the volume buttons but the volume buttons themselves  work fine when playing music.screen lock 2 and 3 work fine.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #12,372 of 19,652
  Hi all    I updated my x5 yesterday to the latest 2.2 firmware (was sitting at 1.2 since June and had no problems with my x5 ) 
I updated as the new firmware has support for dff files.I already had my dff tunes on my 64 gig sd card my x5 was fully charged and had downloaded the 2.2 firmware and stuck it on another 64gig card formatted in the x5. I switched the x5 off then pushed top left button then help power on button and x5 started updating then rebooted ,when into system settings to check firmware 2.2  was there and had a look around settings to see what was new.stuck in my sd card full of dff files and updated library,then using folder view  
 went to my dff files ,they all played and everything sounded great.The player seemed a little more sluggish playing dff files but thought that normal with the extra processing required,flac was noticeably quicker .

Everything seemed fine till the next day when I tried to power it up ,no welcome screen came up ,blank screen and no power up .so decided to try reset switch for the first time then power up ,still nothing.plugged it back into my pc ,and x5 powered up saying usb connected and pc recognized my x5.
Unplugged my x5 from pc and tried to power off ,not working x5 remains on hmmm getting worried now.
left x5 on idle and set it to power down after 2min,removed sd cards and  booted it up using usb as this it seems is the only way the x5 will power up now.did factory reset ,x5 still the same.downloaded 1.2 firmware off FiiO to roll back then remembered that you need to hold the top left button and the power button to load update,tried it anyway(it didn't work)
I got know idea what to do now.
Apart from the power button not working x5 still functions in all other ways although I noticed that screen lock 1 won,t work using both the volume buttons but the volume buttons themselves  work fine when playing music.screen lock 2 and 3 work fine.

Not sure how you got into this problem. I have updated to 2.2 without any issues, I followed the Quick Start Guide instructions to the letter including updating the media library manually. I have been using this version ever since and everything is working just fine. You may want to perform the update once more. Start with a fresh firmware download from the site. To reboot the player if you can't do it from the power on/off button, use the pin hole at the top to reset it.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #12,373 of 19,652
How does X5 separation and soundstage compare with the DX90? that's the most important feature I'm looking for.

From what I read the X5 has a more punchier bass.

IEMs are DUNU 1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back