The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 5, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #12,316 of 19,652
Sep 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #12,317 of 19,652
Shouldn't be any limits other than the X5 converts DSD internally to PCM. I use the X5 coaxial out to the Oppo HA-1 and it's brilliant. The X5 EQ actually works using coaxial as well if that's your bag.

Cool. Thank you.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #12,318 of 19,652
The problem is that all sliders set to 0 is not a flat 6db attenuation, it is each selected frequency attenuated by 6db, so you have a sinuous response curve with dips at the selected frequencies. The only way to get a flat resonse is all sliders to max (or EQ off).
If the sliders were labelled correctly 0 to -12db and default position was 0 then all would be well.

Has this been confirmed, or is it speculation?

But the default position should be flat and the user can mess with it from there. I don't know of any other EQ implementation that does not default to a flat response. Because of the way it is labelled and defaulted, users will assume that everything set to 0 is a flat response, which it isn't...

Agree that default position should be flat but don't remember seeing official confirmation where the sliders should be set to achieve "flat" - 0db or 6db.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #12,319 of 19,652
To be entirely fair, to 'achieve' flat you turn the EQ off.

A small amount of anyway-hypothetical barely-possibly-sinusoidal response to banding (we have no idea how tightly those nodes are applied nor how wide or interactive the bands are) will not affect anyone's attempts to create their desired EQ shape/sound; if you want it flat turn it off. But yes the default should be the same as off (it also doesn't help that the graphic they've used to show 'EQ off' is actually all at -6dB, which is not what EQ off is at all).

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #12,321 of 19,652
Has this been confirmed, or is it speculation?
Agree that default position should be flat but don't remember seeing official confirmation where the sliders should be set to achieve "flat" - 0db or 6db.

Speculation based on a number of well respected ears in this forum claiming that they can hear no difference between EQ Off and all sliders set to max. and others stating that the default EQ sounds awful.
Unless the EQ is perfomed on contiguous blocks of frequencies equally (not seen by me in any other EQ), then this can be the only point where it is a truly a flat response.

This seems to suggest otherwise... implying a uniform 6db attenuation whenever EQ is implemented which would mean flat response at the default settings.

I'm sticking with EQ=Off

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #12,322 of 19,652
Speculation based on a number of well respected ears in this forum claiming that they can hear no difference between EQ Off and all sliders set to max. and others stating that the default EQ sounds awful.
Unless the EQ is perfomed on contiguous blocks of frequencies equally (not seen by me in any other EQ), then this can be the only point where it is a truly a flat response.

This seems to suggest otherwise... implying a uniform 6db attenuation whenever EQ is implemented which would mean flat response at the default settings.

I'm sticking with EQ=Off

Hadn't seen Joe's post. So, Fiio's official stance is that Eq ON with no adjustments (all settings at 0db) is same as Eq OFF with -6db pre-gain...

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #12,323 of 19,652
Hadn't seen Joe's post. So, Fiio's official stance is that Eq ON with no adjustments (all settings at 0db) is same as Eq OFF with -6db pre-gain...

He's also posted this and OK it says the same volume rather than the same frequency curve,but it does imply a rather strange Equalizer where the sliders operate equally on a given range of frequencies rather than a curved respose centred around the frequency stated.
If this is the case then you will get a flat frequency response as long as all sliders are set to an equal value.

Edit: This post would appear to confirm the above.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #12,324 of 19,652
First, it might worth point out that the EQ system on X5 is entirely software based and dynamic in nature. The level of boosting is calculated in real time based on the relative voltage of other frequency and therefore it is not a straight line like a hardware boost.

Anyway, here is what EQ on X5 looks like:
  • flat EQ (off)
  • +6dB across the whole range
  • +6dB from 31Hz to 125Hz and -6dB from 4kHz to 16kHz.

SpectrumX5EQ.png

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #12,325 of 19,652
  First, it might worth point out that the EQ system on X5 is entirely software based and dynamic in nature. The level of boosting is calculated in real time based on the relative voltage of other frequency and therefore it is not a straight line like a hardware boost.

• flat EQ (off)
  • +6dB across the whole range
  • +6dB from 31Hz to 125Hz and -6dB from 4kHz to 16kHz.

SpectrumX5EQ.png

Thanks for the information, but just to clarify is 1- white EQ off or EQ on 0db across the range?
If the white line is EQ Off then I don't see how anything else can be higher without clipping and if it is Eq 0 then the max goes above +6db at higher frequencies, which again should introduce clipping.

Either way, it makes a nonsense of those who claim to hear no difference betwwen EQ Off and all sliders at max...

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #12,326 of 19,652
thinking of getting one to replace my ipod classic.

questions:

- can I navigate artists, and then see albums from that artist. thats how i used my ipod 90% of the time.

- can i use 2 64gb microsd cards without issue

- if i plug this in via usb in my kenwood car deck, will it recognize as a usb drive?

- how is the standalone DAC? may be replacing my e17 too. how is the dac section compared to e17 and ODAC?

- is there optical in, and a standalone amp?

thanks,

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #12,327 of 19,652

1. flat EQ (off)
  2. +6dB across the whole range
  3. +6dB from 31Hz to 125Hz and -6dB from 4kHz to 16kHz.

SpectrumX5EQ.png

Interesting.

Curious how the +- db in the treble (>10kHz) is well beyond the stated +-6db from FiiO.

I may just have to retract my statement on 'sounds the same'. More like sounds close enough, but not really.

Thanks.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #12,328 of 19,652
Actually, the above graph would explain why I don't like to use the X5 EQ, and prefer the X3 tone controls.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back