The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 18, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #11,868 of 19,652
  Hi All not been on here for a while can anyone tell me if replay gain has been included in any of the latest firmware update?

Arcright

Yes, Replay Gain would be a nice feature to have in the future :)

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #11,869 of 19,652
Ooooooooooooh!

Well, ok, I see how that can be helpful for people who use Last.fm on their PC. But that isn't what was being requested in some of the previous posts, such as the one I replied to initially.

I'll bow out of this one.

I just read back to what darkarn originally said. You're right. What he said is simply not possible. Can't stream music from a device that has no networking capabillities...

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #11,870 of 19,652
It seems like we're hearing from Joe and James a bit less in this thread recently, and the Bugzilla page doesn't appear to have received an update in quite some time. I hope they haven't given up on us amid the clamor for various features, which has become a bit vitriolic at times.

I do just want to throw my voice into the mix in support of ReplayGain tag support on the X5. Since it's just the reading of a set of tags and an automatic volume adjustment -- plus the addition of a pair of options to the settings screen (ReplayGain on/off and track vs. album gain) -- it doesn't seem like a feature that would require much in the way of hardware or software resources from the player. But it improves the experience of listening to the player so dramatically when one doesn't need to keep adjusting the volume between songs.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #11,871 of 19,652
Replaygain, there is a fix - use foobar to convert your files embedding replaygain (conversion) and then the player will work with the replaygain already fixed.

This actually only takes a short amount of processing time and the additional files can be deleted from your pc after transferring to the x5 if space is an issue.

Personally i keep my original files with out any processing and just convert those i want to go onto the player.

I also add some other dsp effects at the same time - crossfeed and resample them to 96 (although still 16bit as i cannot work a way of converting to 24bit at the same time and am not sure it would be of any benefit-the upsampling does seem to remove the edginess of some poorly recorded material).

This means i do not worry about the fact that the x5 does not have these features built in.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #11,872 of 19,652
I just read back to what darkarn originally said. You're right. What he said is simply not possible. Can't stream music from a device that has no networking capabillities...

I don't know, someone did say something about using an external dongle or something; I was just pointing out why some people may want certain features, that is all.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #11,873 of 19,652

I wish I was a dab hand with a soldering iron, would love a right angled RCA to mono-jack cable - in the meantime I'm making do with the supplied FiiO cable, as below...

...Bit cumbersome with the big elbow adaptor, but best I can do
frown.gif

BTW, cannot hear any difference in SQ between beta and 2.20 using digital out...

I guess this post answers my previous question to you. You must still consider the X5 to be the best transport for Hugo as you are still using it! I see you've also adopted my suggestion for the cable, but used a right angle adapter instead of the simple inline male to male RCA. Many companies will make up a custom cable for you, which would be a much neater solution. That way you can also ensure that the length is perfect and the fittings are small enough for the Hugo connects.

Edit: Another approach is to use a mono mini jack plug to female RCA adapter in the X5 and a short standard male to male RCA.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #11,874 of 19,652
  It seems like we're hearing from Joe and James a bit less in this thread recently, and the Bugzilla page doesn't appear to have received an update in quite some time. I hope they haven't given up on us amid the clamor for various features, which has become a bit vitriolic at times.

I do just want to throw my voice into the mix in support of ReplayGain tag support on the X5. Since it's just the reading of a set of tags and an automatic volume adjustment -- plus the addition of a pair of options to the settings screen (ReplayGain on/off and track vs. album gain) -- it doesn't seem like a feature that would require much in the way of hardware or software resources from the player. But it improves the experience of listening to the player so dramatically when one doesn't need to keep adjusting the volume between songs.

we still working in the firmware , and behind us there are some engineers working at the same time, but please understand that we have more and more project and the rest of the bugs and features is more difficult than others.  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #11,876 of 19,652

we still working in the firmware , and behind us there are some engineers working at the same time, but please understand that we have more and more project and the rest of the bugs and features is more difficult than others.  

Of course I understand, James. Believe me, I'm not being critical. I think the work you all have done so far is fantastic. Take all the time you need!

I was just hoping you guys weren't getting fed up with the constant requests for different things, with everybody insisting their feature request is the most important.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #11,878 of 19,652
Thing is, this is 2014, not 1999, when the first MP3 players were emerging. I can't think of a good reason why a modern DAP shouldn't be feature complete.

it depended on how do you think what a DAP should be. and what are the features in must includes. for example, you can find the following features is not included in a iPod classic.

1, folder play back.

2, drag and play.

3, 192/24 supports, 

4, APE, FLAC, OGG ..........

5, OTG supports.

6, USB DAC support.

Is it means iPod classic is not a great DAP? I don't think so . 

so it is different thing when we are talking about some new features. and compares with other new DAP, you can also find the true is that there are not any standard about what a DAP should be and what features must be included when it launch market. 

Also, I think people should get use to the firmware upgrade, it is not to make it can work , it is provide the possibility to make something close perfect, just like what Apple do in their IOS, from IOS6 to the newest IOS 8 in the coming days.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #11,879 of 19,652

Thanks for the update James. One quick question. Could you possibly address the issue of sound quality differences between the different firmwares? Have you or anyone else at FiiO noticed this, or is it highly unlikely considering the changelog that this could happen from a purely technical standpoint?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #11,880 of 19,652
it depended on how do you think what a DAP should be. and what are the features in must includes. for example, you can find the following features is not included in a iPod classic.

1, folder play back.

2, drag and play.

3, 192/24 supports, 

4, APE, FLAC, OGG ..........

5, OTG supports.

6, USB DAC support.

Is it means iPod classic is not a great DAP? I don't think so . 

so it is different thing when we are talking about some new features. and compares with other new DAP, you can also find the true is that there are not any standard about what a DAP should be and what features must be included when it launch market. 

Also, I think people should get use to the firmware upgrade, it is not to make it can work , it is provide the possibility to make something close perfect, just like what Apple do in their IOS, from IOS6 to the newest IOS 8 in the coming days.

Only very limited hardware doesn't need software updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back