The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #11,836 of 19,652
  Here is a challenge for you guys - I open a thread in the Sound Science forum with a link to download five music clips that was recorded using different X5 firmwares. Try and see if you can tell them apart. Answer will be revealed in a week.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730848/fiio-x5-firmwares-sound-quality

Have fun!

BTW, I added an extra music clip for the comparison. Those who downloaded the original 5 clips should give the 6th a listen as well, and see how it compared. Cheer.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #11,837 of 19,652

Is there a feature request/comment thread? If it hasn't been mentioned already, a rather big omission for me is the lack of a rockbox style bookmarking feature. Yes the player resumes the last file played, but this is no good if you were listening to an audiobook and then listen to other songs. Desired behavior: File is bookmarked (manually or automatically, rockbox has optional feature to bookmark each time song is stopped). There is a small list of bookmarks of recent files played which is user selectable.

I am sure I'm not the only one who wants X5 for audiobooks too! 
wink_face.gif

That is a really good idea!

Originally Posted by Loquah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i second, third and multiply that request! please, please, pretty please give us a bookmark function in the x5, FiiO!

i'm using my player as a replacement for am always crashing cowon i10, both for high end music files and audiobooks, which often don't come in chapters but huge mp3 files... and it's TEDIOUS to say the least to find the last position within an 5-hour audio files again after having turned of the player... :-/

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #11,838 of 19,652
i second, third and multiply that request! please, please, pretty please give us a [COLOR=00FF00]bookmark function[/COLOR] in the x5, FiiO!

i'm using my player as a replacement for am always crashing cowon i10, both for high end music files and audiobooks, which often don't come in chapters but huge mp3 files... and it's TEDIOUS to say the least to find the last position within an 5-hour audio files again after having turned of the player... :-/

I also would like a bookmarking function as I mainly listen to DJ mixes that are 2 to 5 hours long, as it is at the moment I have to make a note of the playing position when changing mixes.

Rockbox remembers EVERY file position so please let's have this on the X5.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #11,839 of 19,652

i second, third and multiply that request! please, please, pretty please give us a bookmark function in the x5, FiiO!

I would also like a request thread for future firmwares.  Here is what I've come up with for updates:

1.  Since I assume a lot of us here would have many audio files in their library, after continuous wheel-scrolling, can a "jump-to-letter" function be activated? (Similar to an iPod Classic, after scrolling for an extended time, it lets you jump through letter sorting).... It gets tiring after a while to scroll through all the music)

2.  The 5800 song library limit
3. Integration of Desktop-created playlists in the library (instead of just on TF Card in Browser view)
4. Ability to delete individual songs from DAP-created playlists.
5. Some sort of "Search" function to search files

That's all I can think of for now.  Awaiting updates.  Just got my X5 recently.  Love it.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #11,842 of 19,652
  I would also like a request thread for future firmwares.  Here is what I've come up with for updates:

1.  Since I assume a lot of us here would have many audio files in their library, after continuous wheel-scrolling, can a "jump-to-letter" function be activated? (Similar to an iPod Classic, after scrolling for an extended time, it lets you jump through letter sorting).... It gets tiring after a while to scroll through all the music)

2.  The 5800 song library limit
3. Integration of Desktop-created playlists in the library (instead of just on TF Card in Browser view)
4. Ability to delete individual songs from DAP-created playlists.
5. Some sort of "Search" function to search files

That's all I can think of for now.  Awaiting updates.  Just got my X5 recently.  Love it.

Thanks!

I'd add ReplayGain and last.fm scrobbling to that list.  But I guess not many people care about the latter.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #11,843 of 19,652
I'd add ReplayGain and last.fm scrobbling to that list.  But I guess not many people care about the latter.

I'd love to have scrobbling, but i doubt it's doable.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #11,844 of 19,652
I have never even heard of scrobbling prior to this. From what I have read it sends data to last fm? How is this doable unless you would like to manually transfer to your computer and then back to your 5? Or am I missing something?

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #11,846 of 19,652
I have never even heard of scrobbling prior to this. From what I have read it sends data to last fm? How is this doable unless you would like to manually transfer to your computer and then back to your 5? Or am I missing something?

The X5 saves a list of your played tracks, and when you connect the X5 to your PC you sync this data to last.fm. Their API is open to anyone. http://www.last.fm/api

And as always, here's some rockbox info on uploading

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LastFMLog

(Because secretly i hope someone from FiiO is watching)

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #11,848 of 19,652
I can't believe that ogg cannot display embedded album art. I also have a cover.jpg in each folder and still nothing. I may be going back to the dx90 soon. Good thing the reseller has a 45 day trial and return policy.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #11,849 of 19,652
I can't believe that ogg cannot display embedded album art. I also have a cover.jpg in each folder and still nothing. I may be going back to the dx90 soon. Good thing the reseller has a 45 day trial and return policy.

What's the size of these .jpg's?

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #11,850 of 19,652
  Ok Thanks, hope they do something about this issue soonish or I may be pushed into replacing the X5 !

Arcright 

No offense, but I can't imagine this being a high-priority change.  The X5 is, first and foremost, a high-quality DAP.  last.fm has absolutely nothing to do with and, moreover, is something that only those with an interest in last.fm will use (personally, I prefer Pandora).  Fixing the 5800 file limit, improvements to tagging and search, tweaks to the GUI -- these are of far more interest to most people than a kludge to an outboard WiFi adapter and an interface to a specific on-line service solely for the purpose of updating it about your musical tastes.  If that's really important to you, then I respectfully suggest that you're not really interested in a high-quality DAP and would do better using your cellphone.

This is something I notice a lot in this forum -- people assuming that the way they want their music delivered is the ONLY way that music should be delivered.  That's truly short-sighted.  For example, I only listen to full albums and I'm perfectly happy with the folder listing capability of the X5.  However, I acknowledge that many people like to listen by artist or genre, or enjoy random shuffle of songs, so I agree that the 5800 file limit for tags is important (I even suggested a way that it could be done which, from what I understand, is the approach that the Fiio engineers are working on).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back