The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #11,131 of 19,652
I tried using x3 line out with akg q701's instead of HO. Volume on LO is equal to 83 on HO. Totally fine listening to classical music. Question: is there any difference in sound quality using the LO instead of HO? I plan on getting x5 this week and wonder if anyone has used the LO for headphone listening and if there is any advantage doing it that way.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #11,132 of 19,652

Okay, anybody have any of the David Grisman or Mark Knopfler Hi-Rez albums that they are NOT having problems playing on the X5?

OR name some more common HD tracks albums that you have in Hi-Rez that are not causing problems…

Also, has anybody contacted FIIO about this and gotten a response? Are they aware of it? Are they working on it? Do they acknowledge it?

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #11,133 of 19,652
Okay, anybody have any of the David Grisman or Mark Knopfler Hi-Rez albums that they are NOT having problems playing on the X5?

OR name some more common HD tracks albums that you have in Hi-Rez that are not causing problems…

Also, has anybody contacted FIIO about this and gotten a response? Are they aware of it? Are they working on it? Do they acknowledge it?

Sorry - I can't really help you other than reporting that some have had problems with oversize art from HDTracks in the past as

1) I don't have an X5 (I have an X3 but may upgrade soon)
2) I routinely resize all the artwork because historically this has been a problem with the X3

It may be a red herring, or it may be fixed in later firmwares, but it is probably worth trying if you can't get the files to play satisfactorily any other way.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #11,134 of 19,652
You formatted SD card with F5's OWN inbuilt formatter, before trying anything else? I had skips on some hires until formatting in this way.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #11,135 of 19,652
I'm on a Mac, and still using an X3, but I haven't ever had to remove the album art. I just set XLD to reencode FLAC files, resizing the album art as it goes. This seems to work quite well with the few HDTracks files I've managed to buy here in the UK.

Can you give some directions? I need to learn XLD. Can you do batches if files or just 1 by 1? Can I do it directly to my sd card?

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11,137 of 19,652
Is anyone using hdtracks hirez flac files (24/96) and NOT having this problem?

I use a lot of 24/96 (and everything else up to 24/192) ALAC files purchased from HD TRACKS without any issues.

You formatted SD card with F5's OWN inbuilt formatter, before trying anything else? I had skips on some hires until formatting in this way.

This is what the issue has been for some users in the past. Not all formatting software is created equally. I used the X5 built in formatting tool on my Sandisk 64gb and 128gb cards and have had zero issues with playback and high resolution files including DSD.

Edit: Your reply answered this before I posted.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #11,138 of 19,652
Peter_S, have you tried the skipping files on another card?

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #11,139 of 19,652
I'm using FW2.0.  

No problem with these hi-rez HDTracks Albums that are currently on my X5:

24/88    http://www.hdtracks.com/jazz-at-the-pawnshop
24/96    http://www.hdtracks.com/the-koln-concert-131790
24/192  http://www.hdtracks.com/dr-chesky-s-sensational-fantastic-and-simply-amazing-binaural-sound-show-133134
24/96    http://www.hdtracks.com/open-your-ears
24/96    http://www.hdtracks.com/explorations-in-space-and-time-176-24-binaural
24/96    http://www.hdtracks.com/coltrane-a-love-supreme

I have this David Grisman but it is 16/44. http://www.hdtracks.com/jerry-garcia-david-grisman.  Plays fine.
I have the David Grisman Pizza tapes and it is 24/88 but it's not on my X5 at the moment.  I can load it later.

Quote:

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #11,140 of 19,652
Can you give some directions? I need to learn XLD. Can you do batches if files or just 1 by 1? Can I do it directly to my sd card?

You could convert directly to the SD card, but I would advise against it. Too slow, and too prone to possibly causing corruption if you exceed its capacity, or it disconnects for some reason.

You can batch convert everything in a directory, and all the subdirectories below it, by setting the subdirectory search depth on the batch tab of the preferences.

In this case, I was splitting FLAC/CUE files where a CD was stored in a single FLAC into separate FLAC files - one per track. Normally you will want to replace "cue" with the types of file you are re-encoding. E.g. "flac mp3" etc...

The image options are on the metadata tab. Mine is set like so (for the X3):

Just do File/Open, and select the directory which contains all your files, and off you go!

The file naming tab is a bit tricky to get the hang of. Mine looks like this:

%f/%A/%T/%n %t means (Format)/(Artist)/(Album Title)/(Track Number) (Track Title)
This is quite a nice set-up for file browsing on the X3 (and, presumably, the X5). The reason I have Format at the beginning is that I often create mp3 for my Clip at the same time as I'm producing files for the X3. I used to use TVBR aac for the X3, but now I'm using FLAC but this is still useful for resizing album art, and creating a nice directory structure.
Hopefully that'll get you started. Feel free to ask again, or PM, with specific questions.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #11,141 of 19,652

Thanks for that. I've got the doctor cheski's binaural in 2496 and it is stuttering. This makes me think it's not an issue of embedded artwork as they likely have the same artwork. Either corrupted during transfer, my firmware is corrupted, or my hardware is corrupted. Will try to put the he tracks folder on a different chip and check that.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #11,142 of 19,652
Thanks for that. I've got the doctor cheski's binaural in 2496 and it is stuttering. This makes me think it's not an issue of embedded artwork as they likely have the same artwork. Either corrupted during transfer, my firmware is corrupted, or my hardware is corrupted. Will try to put the he tracks folder on a different chip and check that.

I'd agree that it is unlikely an artwork problem. Sorry for the red herring.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #11,144 of 19,652
Since someone asked about your card I'm using this 64GB uSD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DM1BDPK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not sure if it matters though.  Good luck.

I also delete the PDF included in each HDTrack album.

Quote:

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #11,145 of 19,652
Just got onto the Fiio X5 bandwagon. My iPhone disappointed me for the last time when 3/4 drunk on a walk home even FLAC player couldn't breath any life into the music. I mean.. even ok... I was drunk and the iPhone still sounded like crap.  That's disappointing.

Did an A/B with my W40's comparing the Emotiva XDA2 Headphone output section and the Fiio X5.  The X5 gave it a good run for the money. I found the Fiio falls apart in the bottom end a hair and the signature takes some getting used to. But it does toss you a little magic every now and again which is awesome considering it fits in your pocket and doesn't require AC.

$349 CAN at Crappy Computers. Not bad given I can't import it for nearly that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back