The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #11,148 of 19,652
I also use 3 different 128 GB class 10 Sandisk cards, all formatted with the X5, and all have skipping problems with HDtracks files. I have also tried deleting and reloading the cards, still has skipping problems. IMO this is something FIIO needs to fix with FW 3.0 (i haven't tried the beta's so can't comment if they fix this problem)

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11,149 of 19,652
I also use 3 different 128 GB class 10 Sandisk cards, all formatted with the X5, and all have skipping problems with HDtracks files. I have also tried deleting and reloading the cards, still has skipping problems. IMO this is something FIIO needs to fix with FW 3.0 (i haven't tried the beta's so can't comment if they fix this problem)

I had a similar issue. It turns out i had a corrupted file on the memory card. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #11,150 of 19,652
You could convert directly to the SD card, but I would advise against it. Too slow, and too prone to possibly causing corruption if you exceed its capacity, or it disconnects for some reason.

You can batch convert everything in a directory, and all the subdirectories below it, by setting the subdirectory search depth on the batch tab of the preferences.

In this case, I was splitting FLAC/CUE files where a CD was stored in a single FLAC into separate FLAC files - one per track. Normally you will want to replace "cue" with the types of file you are re-encoding. E.g. "flac mp3" etc...

The image options are on the metadata tab. Mine is set like so (for the X3):

Just do File/Open, and select the directory which contains all your files, and off you go!

The file naming tab is a bit tricky to get the hang of. Mine looks like this:

%f/%A/%T/%n %t means (Format)/(Artist)/(Album Title)/(Track Number) (Track Title)
This is quite a nice set-up for file browsing on the X3 (and, presumably, the X5). The reason I have Format at the beginning is that I often create mp3 for my Clip at the same time as I'm producing files for the X3. I used to use TVBR aac for the X3, but now I'm using FLAC but this is still useful for resizing album art, and creating a nice directory structure.
Hopefully that'll get you started. Feel free to ask again, or PM, with specific questions.

I've been setting the conversions up as Artist / Year Album / Track # Track Name to allows to easily browse albums in order of release.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #11,151 of 19,652
Just installed Firmware 2.07 and thought I had it for around 15 minutes, then it started stuttering again!  Seems like it's doing it less.  Could this mean that it's a programming issue?

I want to fill up my 128 gb microsd card and try that.  Thing is, I just don't remember the X5 doing this when I first got it.  It seems really weird that it is messing up now........

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #11,152 of 19,652

I had a similar issue. It turns out i had a corrupted file on the memory card. 

Are you saying that one individual file, somewhere on the memory card (i.e. not necessarily the one you are playing at the time) being corrupted makes the whole thing not work for hirez files (but doesn't effect 16/44 files)?  That seems highly unlikely.  And it also seems unlikely that ALL my HDTracks files are corrupted.  They play fine on Jriver. 

Also, when I updated the firmware to 2.07, the first 5 tracks of an album that was skipping every minute did not stutter.  If each of those tracks were corrupted, I would think they would stutter each time I played them, regardless of firmware.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #11,153 of 19,652
Are you saying that one individual file, somewhere on the memory card (i.e. not necessarily the one you are playing at the time) being corrupted makes the whole thing not work for hirez files (but doesn't effect 16/44 files)?  That seems highly unlikely.  And it also seems unlikely that ALL my HDTracks files are corrupted.  They play fine on Jriver. 

Also, when I updated the firmware to 2.07, the first 5 tracks of an album that was skipping every minute did not stutter.  If each of those tracks were corrupted, I would think they would stutter each time I played them, regardless of firmware.

If it doesn't happen for the first few tracks of an album but starts up after that with the same album, maybe it's a buffer/memory issue...

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11,154 of 19,652

I know we discussed your issue to death when it first arose so please forgive me if you've answered this question 10 times already, but I can't remember if you had tried stripping the album art out of the tags as well as from the folders (which I seem to recall you did do)?

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11,155 of 19,652
  I've been trawling threads & such, but am yet to find a definitive Yay/Nay.  

Does anybody use the X5 under Linux?  

What distro?

Have there been any issues?

Hi dwannetts,

I have used the x3 and now the x5 with linux and have had zero problems. No drivers to install for the dac, everything mounts nicely and plays together well. No hidden files created by operating systems. Slackware 14.0 here.

I do all of my ripping and encoding on the command line - very fast and efficient. Before the x3 was able to format the micro SD internally, there were no issues formatting it under linux (again, command line).

Hope this helps.

And for people having problems with hi-res tracks from HDtracks and/or CD quality tracks from any other shop. There is no consistency in the way they have been tagged, or the embedding of artwork. What works for me is de-encoding the files to wav, (which removes all tags and artwork), re-encoding to flac and then tagging. Saves a lot of pain and you know they have been done correctly to your own standards/preferences.

Cheers

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #11,156 of 19,652

Hi dwannetts,

I have used the x3 and now the x5 with linux and have had zero problems. No drivers to install for the dac, everything mounts nicely and plays together well. No hidden files created by operating systems. Slackware 14.0 here.

I do all of my ripping and encoding on the command line - very fast and efficient. Before the x3 was able to format the micro SD internally, there were no issues formatting it under linux (again, command line).

Hope this helps.

And for people having problems with hi-res tracks from HDtracks and/or CD quality tracks from any other shop. There is no consistency in the way they have been tagged, or the embedding of artwork. What works for me is de-encoding the files to wav, (which removes all tags and artwork), re-encoding to flac and then tagging. Saves a lot of pain and you know they have been done correctly to your own standards/preferences.

Cheers

+1 - good advice!

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #11,158 of 19,652

Cheers

Definitely this ^^

Have had no issues with stuttering with tracks from HDTracks - but first thing I always do is strip the tags, and retag myself (clean) - without any of the unnecessary 'fluff' (like encoder tag, comment tag etc)

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #11,159 of 19,652
How do you retag. I don't understand the process described above.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #11,160 of 19,652
Okay, anybody have any of the David Grisman or Mark Knopfler Hi-Rez albums that they are NOT having problems playing on the X5?

OR name some more common HD tracks albums that you have in Hi-Rez that are not causing problems…

Also, has anybody contacted FIIO about this and gotten a response? Are they aware of it? Are they working on it? Do they acknowledge it?

I have a few HDTracks:
Bruce Springsteen's High Hopes
Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue In Mono
Eva Cassidy's Live At Blues Alley,
Wycliffe Gordon's binaural album
Etc.
They all play without problems on my X5.
Firmware is 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back