The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #10,981 of 19,652
Do you guys think x5 is better then dansa clop+? I am planning yo upgrade it, I use only mp3 320k and some flacs

I haven't owned either but I know that the X5 is significantly better than the Clip+. The Clip is good for the price and for really portable use (running and such) but the X5 is going to be a huge difference over the Clip in SQ. Both are great value per dollar devices.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #10,982 of 19,652
Do you guys think x5 is better then cansa slop+? I am planning yo upgrade it, I use only mp3 320k and some flacs

Better than a cansa slop+....no way.
A Sansa Clip+ is better if all you listen to is mp3's then that would be your best bet. 
If you ever get into Hi-Res like flac's an X5 would probably be better....or 'yo' could learn to use the spell checker instead...it's the icon with ABC√....
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #10,983 of 19,652
My library consists of 85% mp3 320k and 15% 16bit flac (mostly because the tracks I like are just not available in flac, and you cannot buy them. like seriously, they sell it once and that is it, no more.)  And the x5 is a major improvement over the clip whether mp3 or flac.

edit:  I have the jds c5 which alot of people say is almost as transparent as the o2 (known for being THE reference amp), and I have to agree.  I also recently got the ifi ican micro and damn, those things are a blessing to dark headphones/iems.  They are slightly warmer than the c5, but slightly more detailed.  Same level of bass boost as the c5.  Also breathed new life into my jh16's.  It made me seriously consider buying the ican nano for portable use right then and there.  However, the fact that the nano has their inputs and outputs on opposite ends of each other means that you'll be running cables all around your stack, and that will not be pocket-friendly.  You will definitely ruin your cables if you got expensive ones, that's what happened with my x3 having a LO at the bottom.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #10,984 of 19,652
Regarding an amp that will pair nicely with the X5 - you could try the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. If offers balanced in/out and SE in/out. Also does SE to balanced conversion and vice versa, i.e. you can input the SE line out from the X5 and then connect your balanced headphones. I don't have the X5 myself, but have used the Intruder with my X3 and I absolutely love it!!

Dale

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #10,986 of 19,652
btw, what kind of DAC chip is iCan Nano using??

The iCan Nano has no DAC chip. It's an amplifier only. I thought I was pretty clear that the X5 has a more than capable DAC already. You really just want to use the X5's DAC and feed the line out to the iCan, or other amplifier of your choice. :wink:

I'm telling you, the DAC in the X5 is top of the line and a fantastic implementation. :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #10,987 of 19,652
Regarding an amp that will pair nicely with the X5 - you could try the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. If offers balanced in/out and SE in/out. Also does SE to balanced conversion and vice versa, i.e. you can input the SE line out from the X5 and then connect your balanced headphones. I don't have the X5 myself, but have used the Intruder with my X3 and I absolutely love it!!

Dale

Line out from the Fiio devices doesn't output balanced mode so the Intruder is just magnifying the SE signal with its balanced output. No real benefit to do it this way, except convenience so you can use both SE and balanced input devices on separate occasions without having to buy two amps.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #10,988 of 19,652
The iCan Nano has no DAC chip. It's an amplifier only. I thought I was pretty clear that the X5 has a more than capable DAC already. You really just want to use the X5's DAC and feed the line out to the iCan, or other amplifier of your choice.
wink.gif

I'm telling you, the DAC in the X5 is top of the line and a fantastic implementation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah.. I see that. Do you think iCan Micro is better than iCan Nano??
also, can iCan Micro run without a power cable?? I'm not sure if it's battery powered.
It's hard to decide between two.
I think iCan Nano is very good but iFi Audio is not providing full info regarding its sound spec.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #10,989 of 19,652
Yeah.. I see that. Do you think iCan Micro is better than iCan Nano??
also, can iCan Micro run without a power cable?? I'm not sure if it's battery powered.
It's hard to decide between two.
I think iCan Nano is very good but iFi Audio is not providing full info regarding its sound spec.

Your best bet would be to ask in the iCan Nano thread here Don't want to derail the X5 thread.

Here are some reviews

Edit: I will say that the Micro is a little more than twice as powerful as the Nano in case you want to use harder to drive headphones in the future. The Nano is portable with a rechargeable battery built in. It's all listed clearly on their website.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #10,990 of 19,652
The X5 is far ahead of the clip+ in terms of SQ!!

I owned a clip+ for about as long as it took me to load songs and plug in my headphones. It went back to the store pretty quickly.

Great device for convenience, ie., working out etc..

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #10,992 of 19,652
Your best bet would be to ask in the iCan Nano thread here Don't want to derail the X5 thread.

Here are some reviews

Edit: I will say that the Micro is a little more than twice as powerful as the Nano in case you want to use harder to drive headphones in the future. The Nano is portable with a rechargeable battery built in. It's all listed clearly on their website.

Cool. I'm going for Nano. 
It seems like Micro does not come with a built-in battery. I already have a very good desktop DAC so I don't need to buy iCan Micro.
Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #10,994 of 19,652

Dale

Line out from the Fiio devices doesn't output balanced mode so the Intruder is just magnifying the SE signal with its balanced output. No real benefit to do it this way, except convenience so you can use both SE and balanced input devices on separate occasions without having to buy two amps.

That certainly is the case, but for some reason I get a better soundstage out of my HD800s and my new HE-560s when I feed the X3 SE line out into the Intruder and then connect the headphones to the balanced out of the Intruder. Ray Samuels is working some sort of magic by immediately converting the SE signal into balance as the majority of the Intruder design is a balanced path.

Dale

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #10,995 of 19,652
I Plan to use the x5 on its own no extra amps or dacs

This is a perfectly valid use for the device.

I enjoyed listening the X5 with just my LCD-2's and would happily continue to do so, if it weren't for the LCD-2's lack of portability.

I've paired the player with my new AudioFly AF180's and it is a great match with or without extra amplification.

There's always trade-offs and compromises between sound quality and portability. Everyone has to make the decision on which part of the spectrum to build their system.

The X5 is at a near-perfect intersection of sound quality, portability and price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back